Whiteface in March

guitar73

I went last year. It was decent. I was disappointed though because the lift to the upper mountain was crapped out our entire trip so I didn't get to hit the stuff around the main peak. Lake Placid was cool too. Awesome town. We also hit Gore on the way back because the lift tickets are interchangeable. I gotta say I love Gore. Lots of good trees. Not the steepest mountain, but plenty of fun terrain. It has some really great cruisers too.

• Like 1

Spend the last day in the park, go to the LOJ, rent snowshoes and take the Van Hovenberg up Marcy. If your feeling up to it bring skis and ski back down. The Jack rabbit runs right next to the Hov highway and is the last true ski trail in the Daks.

This is an simple trip but with huge rewards. Shit if you aren't down with that go from the LOJ to Marcy Dam, the view alone is worth it.

• Like 1

I went last year. It was decent. I was disappointed though because the lift to the upper mountain was crapped out our entire trip so I didn't get to hit the stuff around the main peak. Lake Placid was cool too. Awesome town. We also hit Gore on the way back because the lift tickets are interchangeable. I gotta say I love Gore. Lots of good trees. Not the steepest mountain, but plenty of fun terrain. It has some really great cruisers too.

gore mtn was our first trip in NY. we had a great time there as well. another thing that's nice about gore is that it kinda flies under the radar so it's never really crowded there.

Spend the last day in the park, go to the LOJ, rent snowshoes and take the Van Hovenberg up Marcy. If your feeling up to it bring skis and ski back down. The Jack rabbit runs right next to the Hov highway and is the last true ski trail in the Daks.

This is an simple trip but with huge rewards. Shit if you aren't down with that go from the LOJ to Marcy Dam, the view alone is worth it.

sounds like a nice trip. mrs. guitar isn't into back/side country stuff....so that will have to be another time!

That's usually a good time to ski WF. Theres even a chance that you may find the slides open. The snow is typically better that time of year up there. You should find the entire Mt. open. Glades should be nice too. (make it a point to ski Sugar Valley and Cloudsplitter).

Where are you staying? The Lake Placid shuttle will pick you up and take you to the Mt. from just about anywhere in town.

That's usually a good time to ski WF. Theres even a chance that you may find the slides open. The snow is typically better that time of year up there. You should find the entire Mt. open. Glades should be nice too. (make it a point to ski Sugar Valley and Cloudsplitter).

Where are you staying? The Lake Placid shuttle will pick you up and take you to the Mt. from just about anywhere in town.

well here's hoping the whole northeast gets pounded with snow from here on out. i'd love to get into the slides, but we'll see if they open up this year. we got a room at the stagecoach inn. it in town, but not on the main drag....so i don' t know if the shuttle would go there or not.

• 1 month later...

OK folks. we're leavin' tomorrow for whiteface. looking forward to slayin' over 3000 vert ft in one shot :devil: . TR to follow.

Upper to lower skyward to Upper / Lower Valley is the quickest way to get the full vert. If you're super human try the Wilmington trail to Lookout below to upper / lower valley without stopping (not the full vert but just at 3k feet) Have fun. Post pics.

Upper to lower skyward to Upper / Lower Valley is the quickest way to get the full vert. If you're super human try the Wilmington trail to Lookout below to upper / lower valley without stopping (not the full vert but just at 3k feet) Have fun. Post pics.

I didn't hit Lookout Below last year. The trail looked insane, especially from my perspective as a snowboarder with limited skills in the bumps.

lookout below...lol...when we skied it, there were bumps the size of volkswagons....not my cup of tea for sure. a quick look at conditions for today shows sugar valley glades closed, which is ashame, very long and fun. Glades off of little whiteface lift are open and a great time. cloudsplitter glades are a+ in my book.

• 3 weeks later...

yea major bummer - i was planning on hitting it this weekend for my annual "boy's trip" with my son but limited terrain and conditions has me pushing it back to make it a hiking/fishing/mtb trip at some point.... sucks, was planning on on doing the marcy hike and ski johnny law style on our way home