Quick Trip to Sno

NMSKI

Came up to Sno for a quick overnight getaway with the wife while my in-laws watched the kids. Got in to the area on Saturday afternoon and got checked into the hotel - upgraded to a room with a fireplace and jacuzzi (didn't know they had that at the Hampton inn). Figured we'd check out the ski lodge so we headed up to the mountain and had some beers and appetizers at the Sno Grill and made some new friends, had a great time there, good band and beer selection. Turned out that there was a torchlight parade and fireworks display while we were there, which was pretty cool. My wife had never seen anything like the torchlight parade, so this was one of the highlights for her. Had some dinner at the place near the hotel which was nothing fancy, but really tasty and CHEAP. $40 for 2 appetizers, 2 dinners, and 3 drinks. Can't find that in Philly.

Sunday was the day on the slopes, and I took turns teaching my wife to ski and lapping the lower mountain terrain. For anyone that has not checked out Sno yet, there is some awesome steep terrain here. I skied white lightning 4 or 5 times, and hands down this is my favorite run in PA. Overall, the snow conditions were good not great, but as good as you can hope for with the winter we have been having. Considering the wet snow/rain that fell on Saturday afternoon, the place was in nice shape on Sunday.

Every single person we encountered was so friendly, from the lifties, to ski patrol, to the waitstaff and bartenders in the grill. We will definitely be coming back, maybe will bring the kids next time.

• Like 5

^Thanks for all the props guys...just so you know, we ARE Having our $10 Tuesday tomorrow, Feb 21...all day..all tickets, $10..so..tomorrow would be a good day.........

Myself personally, I'm quite happy as Social Media Director & photographer to see the change in attitude toward Sno Mountain. All of us have been working, no other way to put this...our asses off...to not only overcome the rotten nonWinter we're having, but at the same time the kick in the groin that toilet paper called a newspaper gave us in October. All the negativity they dumped on us..and continued to do so throughout the season whenever they could get the chance, didn't make our jobs any easier, however we were able to overcome them, and all the other so called "Sno is Doomed" BS..from Long Haul being finished forever, to the mountain closing up..to no electricity...ect, ect..ect.

We Win,...and I want to Thank ALL OF YOU, esp those that gave us that second chance to proove it.

Please come up, esp this week...tomorrow if you can..and get some time in on Sno Mountain.

Edited by KCSKI
  • Like 3

That adrenaline rush you get when looking over the headwall and not seeing the ground in front of you until you are right up at the edge is the best. I had not experienced that in PA until skiing white lightning. Elevator at JF might be similar steepness, but not comparable in terms of length. Anyone have any guesses in terms of the degree of steepness? 40 degrees?

I'll try to find out the "Official" number on that. I do know in the Summer that slope is a sheer cliff/dropoff about midway down in the center and I just hiked down the treeline, skiers left, 2 weeks ago for some pics...it's friggin' steep.

Very nice up here today. Long haul isn't running so I'm not happy about that but I'm pretty pumped on this place. We all are. White lightening is pretty nuts for a pa trail. I could see myself coming here again. I'm sure root will follow with a photo report later.

Hmmm..sure about LH? It's running, unless it's down for something...give it a bit and check back on it.

I'll try to find out the "Official" number on that. I do know in the Summer that slope is a sheer cliff/dropoff about midway down in the center and I just hiked down the treeline, skiers left, 2 weeks ago for some pics...it's friggin' steep.

Hmmm..sure about LH? It's running, unless it's down for something...give it a bit and check back on it.

didn't spin once today.

Maybe low to mid 30 degrees for a tiny bit. Ya no way 40 degrees...hardly any of Jackson hole which is a steep mountain is over 40 degrees. The steepest pitches on the upper razors and challenge headwalls are mid 20s.

That makes sense when you compare them like that. Based on the picture I drew while bored at work, 40 seemed reasonable, but I guess thats way off.

Here you go NMSki...scroll down to sections over 300 feet long. Looks like the upper section of White lightning averages 32 degrees for 400 feet over just over 200 vert.

http://www.skiernet....ski-trails.html

Rick Bolger is a friend of mine and really tries try to cut the BS out of the other ski web sites. He tells it like it is. If you want to want find out the real truth about ski areas around the country check out www.skiernet.com