favorite runs

RidgeRacer

I was reading an article on the best ski trails in America which contained the usual suspects (Corbetts, Palisades, Outter Limits etc.) and wanted to post up some of my favorite, most memorable runs (in no particular order). Feel free to post yours.

The Cirque, Snowbird Utah - Crazy steep. Lots of drop in options if Great Scott isn't your thing.

2012-01-27_12-36-02_474.jpg

- The chutes off of High Traverse at Alta - Pick your poison, steep chutes, tight trees, plenty of powder.

DSCN1241.jpg

- Powder Country - Powder Mt. Utah - Probably the closest thing I've come to BC skiing in bounds. Once you're in the only way back to the lifts is to take a bus.

DSCN1147.jpg

DSCN1150.jpg

- Phillycore Cliff - Powder Mt. Utah - It took us hours to find and plenty of traversing, Phillycore was determined and we got there and it was worth it - untouched and deep. A steep drop into untouched powder then after the drop in it's more deep powder and trees galore.

DSCN1128.jpg

DSCN1127.jpg

- KT22 - Squaw Valley CA - Cliffs, steeps, crazy shit everwhere. There's really one "easy" way out and if you're skiing Sierra cement you're kinda screwed.

cliffsign-KT22.jpg

Lookout Below - Whiteface NY - Steeper (or just as steep), Narrower, longer than Outer Limits. Big Bumps. Underrated run for sure. After burning your legs on LB you still have another 2k of vert to go to get to the bottom.

100_0808.jpg

- Mineral Basin Snowbird UT - HUGE lift served bowl with so many lines to choose from. Nice views of some of the highest peaks in the Salt Lake Valley. Also a few cliff areas to mess around in. (the dots in the pictures are skiers)

2012-01-27_11-01-30_852.jpg

- Clousplitter Glades - Whiteface NY - Steep, tight - higher elevation so it usually holds good snow.

Photo0215.jpg

Others that I like...

- Regulator Johnson Snowbird - Fun as shit in powder

- Road to Provo to Gad Valley - Snowbird - right under the twin forks - great views

- Men's Start at Snowbasin UT - Starts off with steep, ungroomed powder then fast as shit to the bottom.

DSCN1155.jpg

Honorable Mentions...

- Trees off of the Supreme Lift at Alta - steep tight seemingly endless

- Sugar Valley Glades at Whiteface - If you wanna get lost in the woods this is the place.

- Sibera Bowl at Squaw - Nice view of the Lake and the Palisades above. Groomed Bowl. Nice for speed and arcing nice wide turns.

- Outer Limits - K Mart - I'm not a huge K Mart fan but this is fun in the Spring.

- Shredwood Forest at Stratton - Holds sentimental value for me

- The Elevator and Risk It at Frost - Gotta throw them in there.

I'm sure I'm missing some. I'll post them when I remember them.

Edited by Ridge Racer
  • Like 2

You know how it is. Try to make a legitimate ski related post on PASR to generate some activity here because (sadly) its dead even though it's ski season and there's Doug with yet another (of his thousands) stupid post. No wonder this place is fucking dead.

Edited by Ridge Racer
  • Like 2

Its got to be quiet, the kind of quiet when there is lots of snow around and little wind. No sun, rather that weirdish early morning grey and cold, low teens.

Now the real key, diamond dust, the kind where barely perceptible tendrils of wind suspend bits of snow in the air.

All your peeps are around but there's not much talking everyone knows the deal, there is electricity in the air, everyone contemplative of the possibilities.

Then you drop, effortless, you can feel the energy building up in the ski, little roll of the feet and bam the perfect first turn, snow just fucking everywhere, rolling up and under your helmet. The turn where you can feel everything all coming together, the weather, all the everyday shit of life, millions of people all working together to make skiing possible, all the hundreds of muscle's firing in perfect order and the pow bounce is on. No time for thinking, the thinking part of the brain is asleep just doing, just being. Then you get to the bottom and its the legitimate big fat smiles all around, nobody needs to say shit everyone understands, the silence is like reverence to the extremely delicate nature of the experience.

That's what makes a perfect run, the specifics are all bullshit if the other shit isn't right. I've had terrible runs in Mineral Basin to Pali and I've had all time only thing I remember when I have Alzheimer's runs on 20 degree 800 vert pow pastures that run into the parking lot.

• Like 3