Blivers

The thing is they don't owe anyone anything, lets just say for the sake of argument they are fucking everything up intentionally. They can blow at 40 degrees and fired everyone who was good at their job.

So what ?

It isn't your business, you do not make any decisions and they don't owe you or anyone else the first possible open date.

Its their hill and money and they will do what they want, it doesn't mean they always make the best decisions but if you buy their pass you play by their rules.

Blue does lots of shit that makes you wonder but that's how life goes, nothing is perfect and unless its your hill your thoughts on how things should be done are pretty much irrelevant.

• Like 1

The thing is they don't owe anyone anything, lets just say for the sake of argument they are fucking everything up intentionally. They can blow at 40 degrees and fired everyone who was good at their job.

So what ?

It isn't your business, you do not make any decisions and they don't owe you or anyone else the first possible open date.

Its their hill and money and they will do what they want, it doesn't mean they always make the best decisions but if you buy their pass you play by their rules.

Blue does lots of shit that makes you wonder but that's how life goes, nothing is perfect and unless its your hill your thoughts on how things should be done are pretty much irrelevant.

^^^ This guy gets it.

I'm just catching up here so forgive me.

Here's my question. Why the hell would BC get rid of bucket cheese fries? Seriously.

I mean what would prompt them to drop bucket cheese fries? Everyone likes cheese fries after a few hours of skiing

Anyway please continue...

Edited by Ridge Racer
  • Like 1

I'm just catching up here so forgive me. Here's my question. Why the hell would BC get rid of bucket cheese fries? Seriously. I mean what would prompt them to drop bucket cheese fries? Everyone likes cheese fries after a few hours of skiing Anyway please continue...

It was the worst management decision ever. Bucket of curly fries with cheese and bacon. :(

It was the worst management decision ever. Bucket of curly fries with cheese and bacon. :(

WHAT!? that sounds like the absolute perfect meal after skiing, with a beer of course. I wasn't aware that this was something they had - if I had known about this it would have changed my perspective on BC a long time ago.

• Like 1

Guess i need to lower my expectations as well. I've been on here since 2007, long before the race team was dumped. Guess they could really use their money now, eh?

I'll entertain your nosey question, so lets start...

- got rid of the most honorable and helpful ski shop owner and his shop, 2011

- got rid of Franco, the loooong time manager of all food services and also one of the most loyal and hard working people in the business I know, 2011

- got rid of the race team which brought in just about 6 figures of income each season DESPITE the weather, 2011

- got rid of Helen, the enthusiastic trails end manager, because she questioned Mark menu and pricing changes (that one is rumor but beleived to be accurate)

- got rid of several culinary groups over the years with a flurry of them leaving since 2005

- pissed off numerous departments heads most notably grooming and snow making, and to a lesser degree lifts and on-hill maintenance, since Mark started in 2000.

- got rid of Michele (last name escapes me but began with a 'G'), a highly dedicated and energetic manager with an office right next to BC Mark. She was apparently fired for questioning Mark on his recent actions of all of the above including getting rid of the race team, 2011

There are other minor issues but hopefully this states my case. You understand that I used to frequent that place a lot and spend good money? You starting to see why I'm pissed? Keep thinking its a magical place and pray for snow cuz.

I like when you itemize your gripes with BC. It's way easier to shoot them down in a list form rather than try to recollect all the ridiculous stuff you say throughout a whole thread.

- Pinnacles lease was up and as a business and owner of the retail space, BC decided to assume that portion of the resort as their own. From what I understand a good portion of Pinnacles remaining inventory was purchased by BC to get the new shop up and running. It's not like they were left out on the street like you're implying.

- Franco? Please. Stop being a child. We know he's your buddy. If the friendly cashier lady at Wawa was let go for one reason or another that doesn't mean I'm going to talk trash on the internet all day long and stop going to Wawa.

- Your race team is gone. It's time to let go... I remember when my trumpet lessons in elementary school were scrapped because the teacher left the distrcit.. know what I did? I MOVED ON.

- Not really sure what happened with Helen but i do know this.. after Helen was let go it took a few months for the whole entire resort to get back to normal operations and back on track but BC has overcome some tough obstacles in past and I think they'll be fine moving forward.

- Several culinary groups? There was BCG and Centerplate. The only thing worthwhile back then was the original clam chowder bread bowls and buffalo chicken cheesesteaks. Everything else is pretty much unchanged.

- "pissed off numerous department heads" ... seriously? go take a lap dude...you have no idea what you're talking about. I would love for you to elaborate on this subject.

- Pretty sure michelle was gone before the race team got the boot.

In closure, I'd like to quote a verse from the gospel of Mark in the Bible of Bear Creek Management.

Mark - Chapter 12, Verse 1

And Mark said unto Brad; "Brad, I want you to make snow at every available opportunity." Brad willingly complied and has made snow at every available opportunity.

• Like 1

WHAT!? that sounds like the absolute perfect meal after skiing, with a beer of course. I wasn't aware that this was something they had - if I had known about this it would have changed my perspective on BC a long time ago.

They have gravy fries with cheese now which are almost as good. I wonder if I could get them served in a bucket lol.

I like when you itemize your gripes with BC. It's way easier to shoot them down in a list form rather than try to recollect all the ridiculous stuff you say throughout a whole thread.

- Pinnacles lease was up and as a business and owner of the retail space, BC decided to assume that portion of the resort as their own. From what I understand a good portion of Pinnacles remaining inventory was purchased by BC to get the new shop up and running. It's not like they were left out on the street like you're implying.

- Franco? Please. Stop being a child. We know he's your buddy. If the friendly cashier lady at Wawa was let go for one reason or another that doesn't mean I'm going to talk trash on the internet all day long and stop going to Wawa.

- Your race team is gone. It's time to let go... I remember when my trumpet lessons in elementary school were scrapped because the teacher left the distrcit.. know what I did? I MOVED ON.

- Not really sure what happened with Helen but i do know this.. after Helen was let go it took a few months for the whole entire resort to get back to normal operations and back on track but BC has overcome some tough obstacles in past and I think they'll be fine moving forward.

- Several culinary groups? There was BCG and Centerplate. The only thing worthwhile back then was the original clam chowder bread bowls and buffalo chicken cheesesteaks. Everything else is pretty much unchanged.

- "pissed off numerous department heads" ... seriously? go take a lap dude...you have no idea what you're talking about. I would love for you to elaborate on this subject.

- Pretty sure michelle was gone before the race team got the boot.

In closure, I'd like to quote a verse from the gospel of Mark in the Bible of Bear Creek Management.

Mark - Chapter 12, Verse 1

And Mark said unto Brad; "Brad, I want you to make snow at every available opportunity." Brad willingly complied and has made snow at every available opportunity.

Well clearly your up Marks ass so far you can see out his own eyeballs. I was asked to quantify my reasons for not caring for BC's decisions and I listed 'em. But to correct your ignorance, Pinnacle sold off the vast majority of goods to the race team for their last banquet and to Salters ski shop, and all at an incredible discount. What was left, and it wasnt very much, was sold to BC. Dissin' Franco and Helen is plain moronic bro, no one I knew oversaw their department as well as he did. Loyalty doesn't matter there, but hey, it's just business. My race team? Naaa, just the fine group of people in which my kids had a wonderful time being a part of. Haven't mentioned it in a very long time except for above, but yeah, a few hundred paying customers did nothing for their bottom line. And Michele was fired the second week in April, or thereabouts. I got the email from Susan Smoll about no more race team on April fools day. Apparently Mark lacked the nuts to send it himself and set susan as the face of the mess. When you stop drinking Marks happy koolaid, maybe the picture becomes clearer.

Well clearly your up Marks ass so far you can see out his own eyeballs. I was asked to quantify my reasons for not caring for BC's decisions and I listed 'em. But to correct your ignorance, Pinnacle sold off the vast majority of goods to the race team for their last banquet and to Salters ski shop, and all at an incredible discount. What was left, and it wasnt very much, was sold to BC. Dissin' Franco and Helen is plain moronic bro, no one I knew oversaw their department as well as he did. Loyalty doesn't matter there, but hey, it's just business. My race team? Naaa, just the fine group of people in which my kids had a wonderful time being a part of. Haven't mentioned it in a very long time except for above, but yeah, a few hundred paying customers did nothing for their bottom line. And Michele was fired the second week in April, or thereabouts. I got the email from Susan Smoll about no more race team on April fools day. Apparently Mark lacked the nuts to send it himself and set susan as the face of the mess. When you stop drinking Marks happy koolaid, maybe the picture becomes clearer.

I don't think Tom is up marks ass at all. I'm not here to fight but everything Tom has said, whether its in this thread or another thread, has been dead accurate to a t. So good luck trying to downplay someone who is a big part of bear creek.

Yes we know bear creek sucks and has made bad business decisions but its the dedication and loyalty of its riders that bring us back every year. Do I agree with all of bears business decisions or what they do? No way. But I go back every year and buy a pass because that is my 2nd home. I have never skied at another place that I enjoy as much as bear on a daily basis. Isn't that what it's all about? Having fun and getting away from the real world? If it isn't then I don't want to snowboard anymore.

Edited by Kyle

I don't think Tom is up marks ass at all. I'm not here to fight but everything Tom has said, whether its in this thread or another thread, has been dead accurate to a t. So good luck trying to downplay someone who is a big part of bear creek.

Yes we know bear creek sucks and has made bad business decisions but its the dedication and loyalty of its riders that bring us back every year. Do I agree with all of bears business decisions or what they do? No way. But I go back every year and buy a pass because that is my 2nd home. I have never skied at another place that I enjoy as much as bear on a daily basis. Isn't that what it's all about? Having fun and getting away from the real world? If it isn't then I don't want to snowboard anymore.

Kyle, look, As much as I seem to piss on BC, it's not my dislike of the resort. Far from it. I love the sport and the resort overall. I'll wager I outspent the majority of peope on this thread, 5 to 1, at Bear Creek. Hell, my wife dropped $500 during valentines on just spa services and a hell of a dinner (never mind the cost of our hotel room!). Tough love I guess, when I really like the place and see some of the decisions that have been made. Anyway, Tom may work there or know a good bit above the internals of that place, but I know what I said to be true because not only do I know each of the people mentioned above, I also stay in touch with others who are a few steps about regular employees. The only way Tom would know any differece in what I'm told is if he's BC Marks alter ego or occupies the office next to his.

Always liked your common sense posts Kyle, and that VW logo... sweet! What do you drive?

Edited by Winter

Kyle, look, As much as I seem to piss on BC, it's not my dislike of the resort. Far from it. I love the sport and the resort overall. I'll wager I outspent the majority of peope on this thread, 5 to 1, at Bear Creek. Hell, my wife dropped $500 during valentines on just spa services and a hell of a dinner (never mind the cost of our hotel room!). Tough love I guess, when I really like the place and see some of the decisions that have been made. Anyway, Tom may work there or know a good bit above the internals of that place, but I know what I said to be true because not only do I know each of the people mentioned above, I also stay in touch with others who are a few steps about regular employees. The only way Tom would know any differece in what I'm told is if he's BC Marks alter ego or occupies the office next to his.

Always liked your common sense posts Kyle, and that VW logo... sweet! What do you drive?

I drive a 2.0. Love the car to death. It gets me from a to b and that's what matters. I am in no way hating on bear creek it's just frustrating to see your home mountain behind the game. But hey that's life. They open when they open.

I drive a 2.0. Love the car to death. It gets me from a to b and that's what matters. I am in no way hating on bear creek it's just frustrating to see your home mountain behind the game. But hey that's life. They open when they open.

Compared to the other properties and businesses that SMC own and run, Bear doesn't appear to be anything more than a goof for them, something that seemed fun to try at the time. No one really had any idea how to run a ski area, save for Mark and his short stint at Whitetail. So who knows. I'm sure they'd like to see a healthy business at BC but any large corporation such as SMC also benefits tax-wise from a loss here and there. Who knows.

I dont know what is even going on with this thread but Ive been shredding Tokeys run all week.

Wat up Tom!

I guess the fact that it was 52 yesterday is the reason this thread has drifted sooo far off topic. The people that bitch about BC should fuckin move away or just stop going there.

One day I decided skiing in PA sucked.....so I stopped doing it

If nothing else, looks like the rain they get in the next few days will fill the pond up. there are hints of cold coming at night next week, but i'd be impressed to hell if they get anything open before Christmas. I really should search out their beer list though, i'm thirsty and heading out that way tonight...

I guess the fact that it was 52 yesterday is the reason this thread has drifted sooo far off topic. The people that bitch about BC should fuckin move away or just stop going there.

Dude I'm glad you're able to write off Pennsylvania all together and ski bigger hills. I'm happy for anyone that can pull that off. But not everyone has that luxury bro so "just fuckin move away" isn't always an option. I don't think any one of us who lives in PA and skis Bear Creek, Blue or whatever and loves this sport chooses to live here for the amazing skiing. Some of us have reasons that keep us here - important reasons like kids. For me, at least until my kids get older and I can move to the Salt Lake Valley, I'll continue to get stoked on the elevator, tunkhannok or challenge glade or whatever with a trip to a real mountain once or twice a year to stay sane.

Edited by Ridge Racer
  • Like 5

Dude I'm glad you're able to write off Pennsylvania all together and ski bigger hills. I'm happy for anyone that can pull that off. But not everyone has that luxury bro so "just fuckin move away" isn't always an option. I don't think any one of us who lives in PA and skis Bear Creek, Blue or whatever and loves this sport chooses to live here for the amazing skiing. Some of us have reasons that keep us here - important reasons like kids. For me, at least until my kids get older and I can move to the Salt Lake Valley, I'll continue to get stoked on the elevator, tunkhannok or challenge glade or whatever with a trip to a real mountain once or twice a year to stay sane.

x2

I've had the good fortune to go all over this rock and when its all said and done, when you make the calculation based on all factors I choose shitty Reading, PA. LOL

Pa is actually a pretty great place, best beer selection in America, I spend all summer at the beach, all winter skiing, lots of jobs with decent pay, dutchy food and the real big dog, excellent hard pretzels.

• Like 6

x2

I've had the good fortune to go all over this rock and when its all said and done, when you make the calculation based on all factors I choose shitty Reading, PA. LOL

Pa is actually a pretty great place, best beer selection in America, I spend all summer at the beach, all winter skiing, lots of jobs with decent pay, dutchy food and the real big dog, excellent hard pretzels.

Off topic but whereabouts in reading do you live?

Off topic but whereabouts in reading do you live?

I live outside of Reading in Exeter, nobody with internet actually lives in Reading. LOL

True story, I went to Albright and my junior year I lived on 11th and Marrion. We got blazed, like cheech and chong movie blazed, naturally we were quite hungry so we went to Wawa. Waiting for our sandwiches and all the sudden like 50 reading PD's, ATF and DEA guys come running in, like paranoid androids we try to hide by the slurrpy machine. When we go to get our sandwiches we got to pass like 15 of them hanging out at the coffee station, freaking but we really want those italians and hot roast beef's. Acquire sandwiches and as we are walking out one dude just yells "look we caught the doobie bros", law enforcement thought it was hilarious. We found out later two undercover DEA guys got wacked and thrown in the st like 30 mins earlier and they just wanted coffee while they tried to find the dudes. Reading PD was actually really cool, 5 or 6 times either me or somebody I knew should have gone to jail but they just dealt with it like adults not big shit stuff like possession under a gram and drunken fights/underage kids.

That kind of weird shit happened all the time and tons of weird shit in PR bars...that is kinda what I liked about Reading, if you live there you end up with lots of Reading stories.

It ain't as bad as people sometimes think, best Vietnamese restaurant in PA though they are moving to Wyo this year.