Blivers

Yeah, they offered really cheap tickets one weekend, for what reason I forget. Again, they don't limit ticket sales and the cops came twice in a couple of years, by their own accord not bc's. If that's what a 'good job' means to you and passholders, then fair enough. It's the main reason I left for elk... No wifi, no big parks, no collisions, unattractive lodge and enough bland atmosphere to keep the pikers skiing south.

The one day it had nothing to do with cheap tickets, it was a holiday weekend. BC stopped selling tickets and were turning people away at the entrance. They called the cops because the traffic on the road was crazy with people trying to turn around and people yelling at the lot guys for turning them away...my friend was one of those people.

timestamp="1356839655"]Curmudgeon. Blah, blah, blah. You're always complaining about Elk, too.

name="poconoceancity" post="298317" timestamp="1356840457"]How do you go from BC to Elk?

Hey mom, you learn quick! If I had beat paskiingsux on here, I guess I'd have used that name, lol. Pocono, I've been at elk quite awhile but only actually made it my regular ski area a few years ago. Bear is my back yard but I havent skied there since my youngest got wiped out by an out of control punk on a very crowded night with 8 busses in the lot. Mark didn't return a call, a few other things irked me and I didn't go back. Just that simple.

on a serious note, you cant blame bear creek for the place being crowded. look at its location. its an EASY shot if you live anywhere west of philly. Obviously people are going to go to a closer place, especially when gas is 3-4 dollars a gallon. It's tough to say how many tickets bear creek should stop at too. It all depends on how many cars are full or how many cars only have 1 person in them. Bear has learned from that though. if i remember correctly it was either mlk day or presidents day last year that they put something on facebook, twitter, their website, and whatever else DAYS in advance that said once capacity was hit they would be turning cars away so either carpool or get there early. Would it suck to get turned away? hell yeah it would, especially if you drove more than 20 minutes to get there.

BUT, they have these awesome new devices called radios that the lot attendants should be using to tell either management or the front office when the lots are starting to get full, or vice versa. All the blame cant be put on management in these situations though. If its that busy imagine how much shit they have on their plate between making sure everythings running smoothly, and the complaints from ignorant parents wondering why little suzy has to wait 30 minutes in the lift line to fall off at the top.

that's my rant for the day. take it as you see it. Money does some strange things to people. When management sees their sales margins rising why turn people away? thats like someone handing you a ben franklin and you saying "no its fine i already have a couple i dont want any more" Shit happens.

They opened four trails, not one: besides Black Bear they also opened Kodiak on the main quad as well as Cub Run and Drifter with the beginner triple and rope tow.

Doesn't really matter though; its really crowded. They're still blowing snow so hopefully the rest of the mountain is open soon.

Edited by Rowsdower

There has to be a bajillion people there lol. Glad there open but a holiday weekend with cheap tickets and way to many morons who think a first time skier should be on Kodiak. Ya ill pass. Hopefully they'll open more for tomorrow and people stay home for New Year's Eve.

There has to be a bajillion people there lol. Glad there open but a holiday weekend with cheap tickets and way to many morons who think a first time skier should be on Kodiak. Ya ill pass. Hopefully they'll open more for tomorrow and people stay home for New Year's Eve.

They'll be crowded till about 7 tomorrow. Nye is really hit or miss on the crowds. But yes they are extremely crowded today from the looks of the webcam.

Just got back. 4 trails open. Snow was great with a bunch of powder stashes all over. Little jump / butter pad was fun. Interesting rail selection for opening day, nothing for beginners but a nice setup. Guns were going the entire time on almost the whole mountain. Rode for 8:30 till 11 when the lift lines got pretty long. Prior to 10:30 the line was 5-7mins long. They were running over 10mins after that. Lots of people sporting the $10 passes. Bar tender in the grille said the hotel, grille, and cafe have been packed since Friday so that is good BC. Looks like they should be able to get more trails open tomorrow.

Edited by burton71

Good pic Kyle, looks like most of the trails have a gun going on. Years ago I recall they turned on everything at once, for giggles I think, and blew a transformer on the other side of the mt. Coolest fireworks show ever. Problem was it was at night and the whole place went dark. But at least they have the smoke to fire most of the guns if they need to.

• Like 1

Thankfully I went to boulder. Yo bear needs to build up the lips more on that down flat down. By the looks of it we need to build up the lip another 6 inches above the rail so we can have an even foot drop onto the top of it. Cuz lips built into the rails are totally awkward for optimal locking in-age

Yes bear creek hates its riders. That's why they offer us a season pass discount, discounted tickets tomorrow, dropped 100k on snow guns, blew snow in marginal conditions when they could have easily just said fuck it and not blown at all, not to mention all the other promos bear does. So tell me again how much bear creek hates is customers.

They can't control the weather. Bear isn't the only place being bent over by the big dick of Mother Nature. Blue, camelback, even frost had some problems opening up this year.

You're right though why only open with 1 trail? All or nothing right!

Thats actually the reason the race team was eliminated, They were getting too close to unraveling the "we hate fun and money" conspiracy. Winter and his team just knew too much.

Yeah, they offered really cheap tickets one weekend, for what reason I forget. Again, they don't limit ticket sales and the cops came twice in a couple of years, by their own accord not bc's. If that's what a 'good job' means to you and passholders, then fair enough. It's the main reason I left for elk... No wifi, no big parks, no collisions, unattractive lodge and enough bland atmosphere to keep the pikers skiing south.

I actually like Elk's lodge - Unless you're talking about that little outhouse thingy with the fire and grill for roasting hotdogs.

LOL, yeah the upper lodge. Heard of fights in there over whos table is whose, BUT you can drink booze in there! What i mean about the Elk lodge is, compared to others, its boring. Bad use of space, hard chairs and no frills. Not that i mind, its done that was by design because the owner doesn't beleive you should pay $60 for a ticket and sit around all day poking on FB.

• Like 1

LOL, yeah the upper lodge. Heard of fights in there over whos table is whose, BUT you can drink booze in there! What i mean about the Elk lodge is, compared to others, its boring. Bad use of space, hard chairs and no frills. Not that i mind, its done that was by design because the owner doesn't beleive you should pay $60 for a ticket and sit around all day poking on FB.

The owner also compares his mountain to Vermont but will have his stormtrooper patrollers clip your ticket if you ski in their trees. (sorry - I know it's the a BC thread but I couldn't resist :ph34r:).

• Like 2

thanks steeze, no pokin unless you sport a vag though lol. 10-4 on the trees, Moore is a huge bark humper, keeps planting them all over the place. when he croaks, the family (if they keep the place) will no doubt cut some down. Always enjoyed jumping off the slope at bear where ya could and bopping in the trees, for what it was worth. The gestapo wasn't too worried there.

Not sure as I've never tried to stay that late. Last time I was in there was a weeknight though and they called last call around 10ish. I don't think trails end is open after 10pm but again I don't go to either often.

I might swing in there at 10 tonight and try out that american poutine, who knows, I'm working 14 hours today so I might just head home and crash. At least I'll get to see the fireworks at 945.