Blivers

Apparently they had some equipment problems last night. From BC Ironworks:

"Unfortunately equipment malfunctions resulted in a less than stellar build last night. We got about a third done of what we had planned."

Still, down rail looks fun and Coverage is looking a lot better as well. Kind of surprised the guns aren't on though.

Edited by burton71

Can't wait to hear this story.

Believe it or not lazy and worthless isn't the worst thing I've heard.

I don't mean to speak for everyone on crew but I'm more than willing to hear criticism. If you'd like to see something adjusted or have some suggestions stop by if you see us working a feature or standing outside the yurt. We don't frown upon suggestion or talking to all you kids.

Calling us lazy and worthless on the internet isn't going to solve anything though.

I don't see how anyone can say we have more snow to work than BB right now though.

I definitely do not agree park crew is lazy at all. They are always out and maintaing the setup.

I will never understand the logic into how bear builds there lips. For example, in the picture kyle posted, when you look at the lip of the down rail. It is absolutely massive and awkward as per usual. If you look at the start of the lip and then towards to bottom of the rail, you can see that theyre almost on the same plane. What does this mean? It means for 1 you're going to have to take in a lot of speed because you will lose a majority of it while on the 10 foot long lip, 2 you will be jumping down on top of the rail, 3 when you're approaching the rail at the beginning of the lip you will not be able to even see the beginning of the rail.

Why does bear still do this year after year when this has been brought up hundreds of times? The lips that are built by hand, instead of the snowcat, are generally done properly.

"yo man its like the beginning of the season and we have no snow and like the snow is all white and big boulder has like hot dogs and yeah"

They ended up chopping down the lips a little bit to the rails. I took those pictures on first run up at 905 or something and they looked like they hadnt been touched yet. I do understand what you're saying though saurus.

I definitely do not agree park crew is lazy at all. They are always out and maintaing the setup.

I will never understand the logic into how bear builds there lips. For example, in the picture kyle posted, when you look at the lip of the down rail. It is absolutely massive and awkward as per usual. If you look at the start of the lip and then towards to bottom of the rail, you can see that theyre almost on the same plane. What does this mean? It means for 1 you're going to have to take in a lot of speed because you will lose a majority of it while on the 10 foot long lip, 2 you will be jumping down on top of the rail, 3 when you're approaching the rail at the beginning of the lip you will not be able to even see the beginning of the rail.

Why does bear still do this year after year when this has been brought up hundreds of times? The lips that are built by hand, instead of the snowcat, are generally done properly.

"yo man its like the beginning of the season and we have no snow and like the snow is all white and big boulder has like hot dogs and yeah"

Oh come on, the lip is big I'll give ya that, but to say you need extra speed is a little funny. The only kids I see having speed troubles are ten and under going in at about 3 mph. Jumping down on top of the rail?? not quite sure what you mean, are you saying there is too much pop?? or are you saying you'd like to see the rail higher than the lip. I don't plan the park but I assume the more mellow rails are generally built ride on due to the numbers of non pro level riders that we get. some of these kids can't pop enough to clear the 2 inches from the lip to the rail. Can't see the beginning of the rail from the beginning of the lip?? I don't know about that, that lip is max 2 ft high, if you can't see over that from the inrun I'd guess you're 3 feet tall??? I take it you're saying you'd like to see that large lip cut down by what?? like half????

Now we're getting somewhere though, some of us actually read and respond to these post and spread it around the crew, so post up some ideas of how you WOULD like to see the lips rather than what you see wrong with them. We'll take it into consideration and bounce it around the yurt and you might actually see some changes toward what you so desire.

Not sure what you're going for with that last statement, it seems you think I'm making excuses though and I was doing nothing of the sort. Just stating that I though a previous post was incorrect to say that we had just as much snow down as boulder who has been blowing and open for weeks now.

I'm pretty sure the original Boulder post was comparing respective opening weekends, not where you are today vs Boulder.

And I think the lip criticism is valid, I always end up bringing it up here and it always causes a fuss for some reason. How can anyone think that's an appropriate size lip for that rail? I am aware it's a small rail, but you don't need a 2foot high lip with the beginning of the rail level with the lip. Yeah, there's a lot of "non pro level riders" or whatever you want to say, and that's why there's all the flat boxes. If you're only going to have one down rail in, make it normal at least.

7021662819_eb1438d586_z.jpg

Sure it's a bigger rail, but the lip is proportional to it. It's set up like a handrail, the way everyone wants it to be. Imagine the lip to that thing starting at the top flat part. I'm not trying to insult you guys, but this point seriously gets brought up every year on here. And it generally gets sorted out over the course of the season, I always have a good time at Bear. But come on, no more ride on rails please.

Speed is not a trouble, you simply just go much faster because youre going to lose the speed on the big air jump lip. Im saying that is awkward.

I am not good at explaining all of this because I thought it was obvious. I remember the last time I brought this up, last season or the one before that, they said the same thing as you. The whole catering to all types of riders thing. Yes that makes perfect sense and I encourage it , but only when it is applied correctly. However, when I think ride on lips I think of a beginner feature. When you put out a down flat down rail it should never be set up to cater to a beginner. I might even find it hard to agree that a down flat down box or even a downrail could be catered to a beginner. Over the years this has not changed and all rails are set up in a similar style.

My whole not being able to see the rail will only make sense if you understand the idea i was trying to develop with imaginary planes that you draw from the lip to whatever it is parallel with to the rail.

I believe the lips should be set up how every other mountain does it. That could be an awesome mountain on the west coast that you might have ridden at, or a close mountain like big boulder, or even the lip you might have built for some urban off the mountain or in your back yard. I am not about to search the interwebs for more pictures because I have done done done done it before. Here is one, regardless that it is set up that you have to approach it either backside or front side, small lip in length with a short and mellow, but effective, pop. 05_Keystone_Rider_Torstein-Horgmo_Brockmeyer.jpg

The last thing I wrote was put there because I expected people to reply with an ignorant response, which was false.

If you remember to a few days ago when I complained that bear could easily put out more than 2-3 rails it would make sense as to why I believed they could. A small flat rail or box requires little snow to build a lip and set up if the lips are set up properly. If theyre set up like how they are now then ofcourse not. The amount of snow used to build some of the lips you will see this season is as obsurd and vast as nikki minaj's as is.

Within the time it took me to write that reply and play two games on black ops 2, someone else replied with the same idea and thoughts as me before I submitted my post.

Smaller lips, closer to an urban set up, got it. I'll bring it up to the captain.You gotta realize though that it is no lie when I say a lot of our client do like the ride on. I watched at least 4 or 5 kids no older than 11 last time I was there lapping the park and hitting the dfd consistently, and I mean these kids were no more than 3.5 feet tall. Just cause you wanna pop onto the rail doesn't mean everybody does.Lets use these two threads to work on more consrtuctive criticism and less lame put downs that are quite laughable at best. Cute dog though.

I'm on your side trust me man. I like to see everyone having a good time and enjoying the park. Trust me I ain't working there for the paycheck alone, and I sure as heck ain't 16.I enjoy the behind the scenes work and helping improve the mountain as best we can. the less hate you throw around the harder I'll work to make the changes you are looking for.I mean if BC had their way they probably wouldn't want us even posting here. I'm working hard here to not post in my normal sailor tongue in reply to some of your "helpful" posts.

• Like 2

I'm sure kids love the ride-on lips. There will be kids who hit every single thing regardless of how it's set up. My and others gripe is that it sucks when everything is played down to the lowest common denominator. If there's only going to be ~5 features, most of which are boxes, at least set up the 1 or 2 rails correctly so we can enjoy them.

• Like 1

I'm sure kids love the ride-on lips. There will be kids who hit every single thing regardless of how it's set up. My and others gripe is that it sucks when everything is played down to the lowest common denominator. If there's only going to be ~5 features, most of which are boxes, at least set up the 1 or 2 rails correctly so we can enjoy them.

I think your second sentence is a bit false as I'm sure some of these kids that are smaller or less experienced would indeed not hit some of the rails if they were all set up urban. Or if they did we'd need a revolving fleet of ambulances up there.

In all fairness we are a week in with 4 or 5 features. BB is an intermediate park. If cascade was set up like those lips all season I could understand this level of criticism.

I'll check back in tomorrow before I head up there in case there is any other posts to bring to the table.

• Like 1

I think your second sentence is a bit false as I'm sure some of these kids that are smaller or less experienced would indeed not hit some of the rails if they were all set up urban. Or if they did we'd need a revolving fleet of ambulances up there.

In all fairness we are a week in with 4 or 5 features. BB is an intermediate park. If cascade was set up like those lips all season I could understand this level of criticism.

I'll check back in tomorrow before I head up there in case there is any other posts to bring to the table.

this makes sense.

What are the chances of bear having a small hike park set all season? I know we passed the idea on before. Hiking rails sucks cause its always a longer and steeper distance to hike compared to a hike park. Boulders is extremely flat and short, but has a little drop in for the speed. It is nice to just hangout and mess around on. I really want this so I can play a game of skate and take shots of apple juice if you miss the trick... basically everyone wins

this makes sense.

What are the chances of bear having a small hike park set all season? I know we passed the idea on before. Hiking rails sucks cause its always a longer and steeper distance to hike compared to a hike park. Boulders is extremely flat and short, but has a little drop in for the speed. It is nice to just hangout and mess around on. I really want this so I can play a game of skate and take shots of apple juice if you miss the trick... basically everyone wins

This.

What about that little spot between a lift and b lift closer to the hotel where they used to give lessons at?