The official 2013 / 2014 Ski Season Thread

RidgeRacer

Go get it Moe. Killington is going to be a shitshow this weekend anyway. The best time to get it would be on Monday if they are open. Forecasted high of 50 with none of the weekend crowds. Could have a decent amount of terrain available all things considered. From the looks of the webcam, they have turned the guns off on Rime (and are reporting it groomed) during the day while operating, and have moved that capacity to East Fall, Reason, and Upper Double Dipper.

Go get it Moe. Killington is going to be a shitshow this weekend anyway. The best time to get it would be on Monday if they are open. Forecasted high of 50 with none of the weekend crowds. Could have a decent amount of terrain available all things considered. From the looks of the webcam, they have turned the guns off on Rime (and are reporting it groomed) during the day while operating, and have moved that capacity to East Fall, Reason, and Upper Double Dipper.

Sent some feelers out to a few friends up there for a hike if its skiable. Yeah, my stoke levels are levitating..........oh, and disco is back.........I called it a coupla years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhkk1tZzNjk

• Like 1

Count your blessings that you have the Killington option Moe. Sunday River just posted one of the most blunt mountain reports I have ever seen. I have copied and pasted below.

Today at Sunday River

We’re still aiming to open tomorrow, but the weather has taken a turn for the worse. As such, we’re going to make the call tomorrow at 6:30 a.m. as to whether or now we can open, and here are the reasons why:

It’s much warmer than any of us expected, snowmaking has stopped, temperatures do not look favorable moving forward, leaving each and every one of us thinking: we’ll be damned if we go back on our word to you about tomorrow being opening day. If there was ever a testament to the dedication of our teams to you, it was illustrated just 20 minutes ago by 20 plus men boarding the Locke Mountain Triple. They weren’t going up to ski first tracks, they were going up there to physically move snow in time for tomorrow’s opening day. None of us are ready to admit defeat, but there’s a chance that we may.

So what does this mean? It means that despite our snowmaking efforts since Tuesday, we’ve made significant process, however there will be walking to the mid-station in addition to downloading to the base. It means that we’ll continue to make snow when we can, but it’s going to take a miracle to make the amount of snow most of you are used to expecting. It means that the coverage is variable, so when we say for advanced skiers and snowboarders only, we really really mean it. It means that opening day conditions are nowhere near our standards, despite even our best efforts. And finally, it means that even if we’re able to open tomorrow, we need to set some expectations.

So…if you’re looking for tremendous conditions and ample snow coverage—get ready for the most honest snow report assessment maybe, like, ever—this weekend isn’t for you. If you want to come up, check things out, ski a little, and check out our progress, come on up and say hello.

Keep thinking cold thoughts and we’ll continue to too. Tomorrow’s update will be here at 6:30 a.m. tomorrow.

Sincerely,
Team Snow

So the ski club i'm in had there annual Ski meet with the mountains last night and the wife won us a trip up to Bolton (again) for 2 days 2 nights so it looks like i'll be hitting up Burlington again. Think this time i'll go bookend the trip with Stowe and maybe Jay depending on how far it is or Smuggs again. I'll have to see how the days line up but hey two free nights sounds great to me.

• Like 1

So the ski club i'm in had there annual Ski meet with the mountains last night and the wife won us a trip up to Bolton (again) for 2 days 2 nights so it looks like i'll be hitting up Burlington again. Think this time i'll go bookend the trip with Stowe and maybe Jay depending on how far it is or Smuggs again. I'll have to see how the days line up but hey two free nights sounds great to me.

sweet! we'll be at stowe the first week in march.....

I'll sweat the details when I get up there. I have no control over the weather. Serenity now............

Somebody point blank asked Killington on Facebook if they are open only weekends, or for the season and their response was "we plan on being open for the season."
  • Like 1

Chilly and damp in the Notch, may take a hike up sterling or Madonna today to see what's on the ground. Chance for some snow today and Wednesday at higher elevations. We stopped off at Fiddlehead brewery on the ride up and got a growler each of IPA and Koltch. Refills on the ride back to PA.post-2366-0-98295300-1382963423_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I logged one relatively continuous run today for October. Hiked up Sterling, skied down rum runner to pipeline to a portion of Black Snake when the snow got too thin and the fins got too pointy. I'm guessing ~900 ft. Funner at the top, puckery lower down. I had a pretty messed up right foot from a ladder fall this summer and I wanted to see how the foot held up. Happy to report the pain was minimal up and down.

Looking down rum runner
post-2366-0-06863000-1383159470_thumb.jpg

Nice to slide even for a few minutes
post-2366-0-72866900-1383159689_thumb.jpg

Edited by moe ghoul
  • Like 4