Interesting Article...

toast21602

Nice article, thanks for sharing. The pictures make the area look pretty steep, unlike the reputation that some around here gave the place. I may have to add this ski area to my list.

Thanks for posting something topical about skiing. But of course you realize, unless you are talking trash about former PASRS or debating who has the best cheese fries, the thread will get no traction. I’m done posting topical stuff here. I’m glad you are not.

• Like 6

Nice article, thanks for sharing. The pictures make the area look pretty steep, unlike the reputation that some around here gave the place. I may have to add this ski area to my list.

Thanks for posting something topical about skiing. But of course you realize, unless you are talking trash about former PASRS or debating who has the best cheese fries, the thread will get no traction. I’m done posting topical stuff here. I’m glad you are not.

In order of importance:

Cheese fries - they're slightly above average, on par with blue's old brew city fries, but pretty much all the other food i've had there has been pretty good. kinda has a home made feel to it, in that the cafeteria menu switches up daily.

terrain - i think over the past few years that i've been out to ski there, i've explored a pretty good portion of what's there and have a pretty good idea of what the place has to offer, with the exception of powder country. I've skied off the ridge where that first shot was taken, maybe not that exact line but the same area, and there's nothing that skis as steep as that looks. definitely a good camera angle at work on that shot. there's a couple spots where you'll get a steep little chute here and there, but there's really no sustained steepness like you'll find in the cottonwoods or at snowbasin. that said, if you don't need to point it (or hop turn cause you're actually in over your head) and claim best skier on the mountain status, the place is a lot of fun if you know where to go. ski it with 2 feet of fresh and you can not cross over your own tracks, or anyone else's, the entire day. hit the wrong areas with 2 feet and you're going to be poling or hiking your way out if you don't keep your speed up. i love the place, lightning ridge terrain is some of the most fun stuff i've ever skied, but i wouldn't go to utah and ski only at powder unless you're getting snow every day.

• Like 1

it's something you should get to sooner than later.

There has already been a lot more traffic there since my first trip ~5 years ago

Powder Mountain is the place to be on a powder day. You'll have untracked all day. I'd love to get a local to show me around on a powder day. It's big and spread out and you have to know where to go for the steeps. Everything off the Hidden Lake Express is pretty flat. You have to go down to the Pardise lift for the steeps.

Your favorite out there is snowbird I think? That's where GSSUcks has a season pass. He should have gone with Pow mow...gaper

When you learn to ski and you want to take hot laps off the tram let me know!!

For anyone else thats coming to Utah let me know and lets take some laps and have some of that good 3.2% utah water!!

Edited by GSSucks
  • Like 3

Bird is heaven on earth. GSSucks are you a Utah local now?

I guess

How do you think he feels. He missed opening day at blue.

meh, skied 15" before work on Wednesday and another 12-15 coming in tomorrow. Utah sucks tho, its all meadow skipping go to Colorado

• Like 4

I've spent maybe 30 days at Pow Mow over the last 10 or so years. It is flat relative to the other areas nearby. Also ignore their acreage claim 50% of it is lame and includes James which most people will not ski. Pow Country, James/Lighting ride and that area in the middle are really the only areas with decent vert.

That's the bad, the good is you can meadow skip pow all day there and everyday after for a week after a storm. Powder Country is beyond sick, if you haven't ridden Pow Country you haven't really done Pow Mow. They almost always have considerably more snow than Basin, their neighbor, and when the conditions are right you can take 12$ cat rides to the col near James. 15 mins of skining later and your posted up on a pretty big mtn.

Beyond the numbers and all that shit, Pow Mow is about the experience as a whole. The food is shit, the lodges are old and cramped, it was not uncommon years ago to run into the lift house to find the lifty asleep. It's an old school place that oozes soul and legit non-corporate character, its a ski mtn that is actually really only about skiing and snow. It's a heaven for those that like soft snow and no bullshit.

Maybe 8 years back we rolled up after 30-40 inches had fallen over a number of days, I can't remember the day but it was during the week and they were opening pow country for the first time that year. We ran lap after lap of armpit deep blower, endless lines as far as the eye can see and saw maybe 20 other people all day. The bus that picks you up and brings you back up top adds that cat skiing thing were everything is perfect in the world, you can bullshit with friends about how fucking awesome this is because your in zero rush, unlike the rest of UT outside of Sundance, there is very little Bro-Brah let's fucking murder this pow in 20 mins shit going on. Woody ran the pow country bus back when it was a flat bed that would occaisionally bounce peeps out, woody is now the director of operations or some similar shit. Woody's sun now runs the buses and it's not uncommon to hear his dad rip him a new asshole for crashing the bus, being behind or anything really. One time when the bus broke they let us build a booter into their parking lot, employees, randoms all got in on the act.

That's the kind of place Pow Mow is, that's why it's so important it retains that character in a world of sell outs. The pow skiing is fantastic but it's really the entire experience that brings people back. If you go and are the right type of person you will understand, Pow Mow will forever have a special place in my heart, some of my best days where spent their killing the meadows in waist deep. Being able to do that with nearly nobody around is not something you come across everyday, it's something that if you are a real snow person forever changes you.

All of UT is great, the bird is everything you've heard it is. Solly has sold out but it's still fucking legit and relatively quiet. Alta is alta, there is not a place that tracks faster on earth but for those 2 hours life is pretty perfect. Basin is seriously underrated, the No-Name shit is a shangri la if your willing to do some work. Brighton is my favorite hill, Hidden is something you dream up in your head perfect, their is a veritable playground between Milly and Crest, Preston gate off snake is an entrance to a BC world almost unimaginable in scope and options. Still all things being equal, I'd probably ride at Pow Mow, the Pow Mow days really stick in my head, I can recall nearly every turn from that first run down Pow Country all those years ago. That feeling is something a billion fancy ass lodges and nice food cannot every compete with and that my friends is why you go.

P.S. Sundance is a gnar little hill, timing is everything but hit that shit right and it's a steeper Pow Mow that is almost as good.

• Like 2

That's the kind of place Pow Mow is, that's why it's so important it retains that character in a world of sell outs. The pow skiing is fantastic but it's really the entire experience that brings people back. If you go and are the right type of person you will understand, Pow Mow will forever have a special place in my heart, some of my best days where spent their killing the meadows in waist deep. Being able to do that with nearly nobody around is not something you come across everyday, it's something that if you are a real snow person forever changes you.

If you love places like Plattekill and Magic you will really love Powder Mountain. If you love places like Stratton, don't bother going. You won't "get it".

• Like 1

What happened??? Is that when Phillycore busted his helmet?

Yep. The helmet saved his life. That or it saved him from a serious injury. Powder country is complete wilderness. There wasn't anyone around for miles. We would have had to make our way out of it, then wait for the bus to get help. I'm pretty sure cell phone reception was non existent.

Edited by Ridge Racer

Didn't want to create a new topic but figured i'd ask here for the Utah crowd about a potential trip i'm thinking about trying to convince a couple of friends to do.

I wanted to get people's opinion's on whether this idea works for both parties or am I screwing myself/my friend.

I was looking at flights and trips for this year and found a decent rate on a flight and hotel (both free on miles/points respectively). My proposal was to talk to my friend tell him i'll cover flight and room for 6-7 days and he would be up to cover lift, transpo and food for the trip. Does this sound like a fair deal for both parties? I did the quick math and me covering the flight and room is about $2K (keeping in mind i'm using points so real cost $0 not that it matters).