Where are you skiing for daytrips in April?

Ski2Live Live2Ski

That was a really cool story!!!!!

Phillycore did you ever get checked out...there've been people who've had a bad fall and concussion but didnt get checks out and literally checked out hours or days later.

Where are you staying in Vegas???

The Tropicana

got to  close out my season at whiteface - finally got a beautiful spring day in on Friday with highs in the 60's and great soft snow. Temps dropped along with 3-4 inches of fresh Friday night/Saturday to end the season on a pow(ish) day with variable conditions on Saturday. skunked again with no slides opening but a great end to the season just the same - mrs SnoBunSki was skiing WAY out of her comfort zone both days, caught up with some ny ski friends for a few runs and stoked to see jr huck a 3 off the big rock on the Wilmington trail!

psyched to make it the season with you fools - getting me some replacement parts in 3 weeks

Good luck with the new parts and great skiing with you brutha.

Wonder if the ski binding was drilled close to the original making it a weak spot...or drilled more than twice...

Crazy though....

Fwiw..... My freaking head is still killing me.

I wanted to go back out again next weekend but I think I may be done for the season now. Sux

I'm thinking all-of-the-above on the bindings.  What happened to your head?  

Was skiing down Boulder Park trail and at the bottom I was picking up speed to make the trek over to the merry widow lift....Flat light didn't see a drop off until very last second as I was mid turn.. tried to hockey stop but wasn't quick enough...skis got out in front of me and the back of my helmet caught the lip.

I'm thinking all-of-the-above on the bindings. What happened to your head?

The heel ripped out, or sheared off at the track? What kinda bindings? Armada uses solid wood cores so unless the holes were literally millimeters apart, the proximity shouldn't be an issue. About 5mm is really all you need. If there was an edge crack or any sort of sidewall or base damage that could have allowed water into the core that could definitely do it.

I'm still up in VT but coming home today. It's been a crazy week. We've had spring conditions, 21" of snow, and some rain. Looks like spring finally arrives today. Hit Stowe earlier this week and hit Whiteface/Gore last week. Some of the natural stuff up here is starting to show some bare spots, but they will be skiing it another 2 weeks. The Rock has been operating almost 4 consecutive months which is a record. They will probably lose that this week. Lots of mountains extended their closing dates. Lots of snow and cold weather at the right times.

The heel ripped out, or sheared off at the track? What kinda bindings? Armada uses solid wood cores so unless the holes were literally millimeters apart, the proximity shouldn't be an issue. About 5mm is really all you need. If there was an edge crack or any sort of sidewall or base damage that could have allowed water into the core that could definitely do it.

Marker griffon bindings and the whole piece came off the ski.

If I have time I'll post about how I saved a one-armed mans life on Julio at Killington later.

If I have time I'll post about how I saved a one-armed mans life on Julio at Killington later.

dont use marker bindings. Problem solved. Definitely wanna hear about the one armed dude. How was Killy? Planning on going next weekend if the rain doesn't look too bad.

Killy looked sweet, got to run up there before they close.

I'm pretty sure there were only one mount on those, then he added two because the first was true center. All I can think is the holes were too close which like Justo said would have to be pretty close.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CO was excellent. CB closing weekend was off the hook, Monarch was the tits and Snowmass is always good.

CO demise was overstated, groomers were fine, 5" or so on Weds made for nice pow runs and Saturday the groomers were fucking perfect.

Justo are you going to Stowe this weekend?

Killy looked sweet, got to run up there before they close.

I'm pretty sure there were only one mount on those, then he added two because the first was true center. All I can think is the holes were too close which like Justo said would have to be pretty close.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CO was excellent. CB closing weekend was off the hook, Monarch was the tits and Snowmass is always good.

CO demise was overstated, groomers were fine, 5" or so on Weds made for nice pow runs and Saturday the groomers were fucking perfect.

After skiing Colorado do you have the desire to ski Killington??

dont use marker bindings. Problem solved. Definitely wanna hear about the one armed dude. How was Killy? Planning on going next weekend if the rain doesn't look too bad.

Killy was sweet. Couldn't have asked for better conditions. Got 5" of fresh on thursday. Gave me hope that I might get into the trees this late in the year. I was running laps through power line on the north ridge triple from 9 to 10:30 and somehow found my way to Julio (a double black glade run for those who hate VT and wouldn't know). It looked too good to pass by so in I went... alone.

19dd12c1c509a10545eb2b7a426f7392.jpg

Sure enough, it was the best snow on the mountain... Until I came across this:

499fe262cc914963794a076483467f6d.jpg

The perfect snow was almost scarce at this point and all sorts of rocks, stumps, and forest debris was scattered all over the place. In the midst of all that I see a yard sale but no body. I feared the worst. The jagged rocks in that area would shatter a pelvis. It was fairly steep there and I was imagining what happened to the poor guy who's skis were laying there. Brutal it must have been. I started calling out "hello? Anyone there? Are you hurt? Helloooooo?!"

I couldn't easily get to the skis from where I was without royally fucking up my skis. Just as I was about to try and traverse to some more appealing snow I saw movement about 80 yards below. I shouted again "are you ok?". And there he was... A one armed man crawled out from under a pine tree.

He said he was banged up but could walk so he thought he was fine but that he was stuck and lost and it was to steep to climb up to get his skis. I said no problemo, I'll send them down.

As mentioned I didn't want to ski over to the skis because I didn't want to ruin my skis. I unclipped and my second step was a disaster. My boot slipped out from under me and I went down. I was scrambling and reaching in every direction for anything that would slow me down. Every branch slipped right through my fingers and there I was accelerating down this steep pitch headed straight for a tree stump. I frantically tried to kick at it to redirect myself away from it and take my chances dealing with whatever was below... Luckily it worked and nothing major was beyond. However, nothing major also meant a lot more slope to helplessly slide down with no means to slow down. Eventually I stopped not to far from the one-armed man. I said "fuck that was intense... "

At that point both our skis were about 80 yards uphill. It was obvious what had to be done. So I dusted all the snow out of my jacket and started climbing. It was way harder than I thought. Every move was risky and demanding. All my muscles were firing. It was difficult getting grip with my toes as it was blue ice under the pow. My best bet was to use rocks that were protruding through the icy boilerplate.

With about 10 yards to go I lost grip and involuntarily shouted "no no no no no!!!" As I began accelerating helpless down the pitch again.

Take 2. Well, take 3 really. Here we go...

I eventually made it. By then I was exhausted and drenched with sweat. I made it to the skis and sent them down. I took a round about path down to the one armed man. Probably the exact path a mountain goat would take in all honesty.

We clipped in and I skied him out of there. I never bothered to mention it's not a good idea to ski the trees alone because well,... I was alone.

/CSB

• Like 5

Holy crap glad ya made it out ok. Julio is no joke, probably the first trail I skied up in VT when I was young that made me recognize my mortality, and that I was not quite as good as I thought, having only skied in the poconos up until that point.

Looks like weather is clearing up, so headed up towards Stowe Thursday night. Not sure what the definitive plans are, but I should be skiing this weekend. Got the skins all set in case it's time for some TGR type 1.5 adventures!

Holy crap glad ya made it out ok. Julio is no joke, probably the first trail I skied up in VT when I was young that made me recognize my mortality, and that I was not quite as good as I thought, having only skied in the poconos up until that point.

Looks like weather is clearing up, so headed up towards Stowe Thursday night. Not sure what the definitive plans are, but I should be skiing this weekend. Got the skins all set in case it's time for some TGR type 1.5 adventures!

Thanks and that line is very thin between life and death. Have to respect it... Even at blue.

Hope Stowe is nice. I went to sugarbush after Killy and it was pure icy death in most places until about noon because it was 26 degrees at 9am. It was literally a side slipping clinic because I was with my girl lol.

Killy was sweet. Couldn't have asked for better conditions. Got 5" of fresh on thursday. Gave me hope that I might get into the trees this late in the year. I was running laps through power line on the north ridge triple from 9 to 10:30 and somehow found my way to Julio (a double black glade run for those who hate VT and wouldn't know). It looked too good to pass by so in I went... alone.

19dd12c1c509a10545eb2b7a426f7392.jpg

Sure enough, it was the best snow on the mountain... Until I came across this:

499fe262cc914963794a076483467f6d.jpg

The perfect snow was almost scarce at this point and all sorts of rocks, stumps, and forest debris was scattered all over the place. In the midst of all that I see a yard sale but no body. I feared the worst. The jagged rocks in that area would shatter a pelvis. It was fairly steep there and I was imagining what happened to the poor guy who's skis were laying there. Brutal it must have been. I started calling out "hello? Anyone there? Are you hurt? Helloooooo?!"

I couldn't easily get to the skis from where I was without royally fucking up my skis. Just as I was about to try and traverse to some more appealing snow I saw movement about 80 yards below. I shouted again "are you ok?". And there he was... A one armed man crawled out from under a pine tree.

He said he was banged up but could walk so he thought he was fine but that he was stuck and lost and it was to steep to climb up to get his skis. I said no problemo, I'll send them down.

As mentioned I didn't want to ski over to the skis because I didn't want to ruin my skis. I unclipped and my second step was a disaster. My boot slipped out from under me and I went down. I was scrambling and reaching in every direction for anything that would slow me down. Every branch slipped right through my fingers and there I was accelerating down this steep pitch headed straight for a tree stump. I frantically tried to kick at it to redirect myself away from it and take my chances dealing with whatever was below... Luckily it worked and nothing major was beyond. However, nothing major also meant a lot more slope to helplessly slide down with no means to slow down. Eventually I stopped not to far from the one-armed man. I said "fuck that was intense... "

At that point both our skis were about 80 yards uphill. It was obvious what had to be done. So I dusted all the snow out of my jacket and started climbing. It was way harder than I thought. Every move was risky and demanding. All my muscles were firing. It was difficult getting grip with my toes as it was blue ice under the pow. My best bet was to use rocks that were protruding through the icy boilerplate.

With about 10 yards to go I lost grip and involuntarily shouted "no no no no no!!!" As I began accelerating helpless down the pitch again.

Take 2. Well, take 3 really. Here we go...

I eventually made it. By then I was exhausted and drenched with sweat. I made it to the skis and sent them down. I took a round about path down to the one armed man. Probably the exact path a mountain goat would take in all honesty.

We clipped in and I skied him out of there. I never bothered to mention it's not a good idea to ski the trees alone because well,... I was alone.

/CSB

Golf clap brother golf clap for sure. You the man, no joke.

Julio ain't no joke, besides the toilet bowl pre map era I can't think of anything rowdier in bounds and it's almost always thin. Tons of stumps.

You rescued a dude so I'm not busting your balls at all but one small point if I may be so rude, keep the fucking skis on.

To anyone out there rocks, dirt, stumps, trees, good snow, ice, shit snow etc etc they are all far far better with roughly 24ft of metal edge. Downhill boots are super fucking slick, AT are better but still neither are no where as good as skis. As long as the rock isn't filed down into a knife edge and you aren't moving at say a light skipping speed, billy goating with skis on say rock or stumps isn't doing anything more than base scratches. Shit even if the worst happens and you get a core shot that's 10mins of work and 1$ worth of ptex ribbon fuck I'll even do it for you for free. ACL is 8 months of your time and like half a dozen pairs of DPS Pure 112RPC's for sure.

I love skis as much if not more than anyone but if it's me or the skis its always the skis, I'll trash them I don't care I can get more but a broken leg or something I can't fix with the internet and my credit card.

No bullshit though you the fucking man.

Edited by Johnny Law
  • Like 2