BB This Weekend?

Do folks think they will be open and if so how open will they be? How were conditions last weekend?

Thinking of hitting it next weekend unless Camelback has another change of plans and actually opens. Or might take the trek to the 'skills instead where Hunter Belleayre and Plattekill are all indicating they plan to keep their lifts turning

Gotta get my first year of 200K vertical one way or another :-)

Do folks think they will be open and if so how open will they be? How were conditions last weekend?

Thinking of hitting it next weekend unless Camelback has another change of plans and actually opens. Or might take the trek to the 'skills instead where Hunter Belleayre and Plattekill are all indicating they plan to keep their lifts turning

Gotta get my first year of 200K vertical one way or another :-)

boulder has plenty of snow, but if I read correctly, only running one lift. If I had to guess, that'll be the Boulder park triple lift, so love MIGHT be open, but I highly doubt anything that far left will be open.

Snow last weekend was slushy for sure, even first thing, but fun.

• Like 1

i think the chances of Boulder opening are better than 50%.  Conditions first thing Saturday were typical spring conditions, loose snow with some ice actually mixed in where there was shade. We made 2 top to bottom runs, and then PC sorta bumped his head.  They were running 2 lifts, which were Merry Widow, and i assume freedom.  the line at merry widow got pretty long while we were standing there.  

The one lift thing kinda sucks.  if they run BB triple, it really limits the trails to Bunny, Dragonfire, BB, and Middle wig.  Anything to the right of Merry widow lift will require a bit of work to get back to BB lift.  

If they run Merry Widow, it puts a few more trails more accessible, little bit of skating at the top, Bunny schuss might be tough on the return trip, and it is possibly the slowest lift in PA.  

i think the chances of Boulder opening are better than 50%. Conditions first thing Saturday were typical spring conditions, loose snow with some ice actually mixed in where there was shade. We made 2 top to bottom runs, and then PC sorta bumped his head. They were running 2 lifts, which were Merry Widow, and i assume freedom. the line at merry widow got pretty long while we were standing there.

The one lift thing kinda sucks. if they run BB triple, it really limits the trails to Bunny, Dragonfire, BB, and Middle wig. Anything to the right of Merry widow lift will require a bit of work to get back to BB lift.

If they run Merry Widow, it puts a few more trails more accessible, little bit of skating at the top, Bunny schuss might be tough on the return trip, and it is possibly the slowest lift in PA.

If it's only one lift.

It's going to be the merry widow lift

...that's the only one that would make sense if they plan on opening love Park.

Otherwise it would only be Boulder Park lift and they'd go to only the one Lodge like they've done in the past..

If it's only one lift.

It's going to be the merry widow lift

...that's the only one that would make sense if they plan on opening love Park.

Otherwise it would only be Boulder Park lift and they'd go to only the one Lodge like they've done in the past..

boulder lift is my bet. Skiing back to Merry Widow from Boulder sucked.

On the fence. Is it worth going to ski BB even if it is free with PASR card? Is it worth the drive essentially?

Not a real park guy, though I'll go over some small jumps or lips.

Otherwise no real challenge or even excitement there, is there?

Short runs. Slow lifts. Slushy slow snow.

Kind of tempting to either pony up and go to Hunter for a real ski day, or do something else entirely. Like, say, bike.

Feel like going to BB would largely be to get some runs in to hit my 200K vertical for the season, and that's a pretty dumb reason to spend 4 hours driving.

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski
  • Like 1

If someone's near enough to Lawrenceville NJ to want to give me $10 for my PASR card to ski BB for a day (instead of spending $25 there), and thereby help defray the cost of me going to Hunter, let me know :-)

• Like 1

The merry widow lift is really slow.  its has sporadic chairs that have had the wooden slats replaced, and they are of varying heights which make it really uncomfortable on your ass.  the good thing about that lift is it rarely stops since it only goes at a snails pace.  i dont know why they run that lift when the lift right next to it has the nice molded plastic seats.  kinda makes you wonder if the lifts on either side of that one actually spin, or now are just parts to keep that one going.

Good for them for opening this weekend, but even though i will be right down the road, i think i will pass.  i would be more inclined to go if BB lift was spinning.  

Biking Saturday, skiing Sunday. I still think it's really dumb they're not running the Boulder lift. What's their primary demographic right now? I can't imagine it's anyone other than people who really just want to ride park. Freedom is flat and slow, and you can get to love just as easily form the Boulder lift as you can get to Boulder from the merriwidow lift, and there's better terrain over off the Boulder lift. Whatever, still skiing in April, I'll take it.

• Like 1

Intended to go when I woke this morning but things came up. Off to bike ride instead. Hello spring. 20 days and 196.8k vertical not to shabby for a non pass holder with no overnight ski vacations.

Don't entirely rule out a day at Gore or Whiteface if they stay open.

• Like 1

Intended to go when I woke this morning but things came up. Off to bike ride instead. Hello spring. 20 days and 196.8k vertical not to shabby for a non pass holder with no overnight ski vacations.

Don't entirely rule out a day at Gore or Whiteface if they stay open.

Also was set on going today but by the time 10am rolled around I was planning on a trip to the playground with the kids on a 68 degree day. I would have been there last week as well as this week if they opened at 8. 50 bucks more in my pocket I guess.

32 days... 25 at Blue, 3 at frost, 4 in Colorado... Last day was closing day at Blue. Not bad. I feel kinda shitty not skiing any days in April.

Edited by RidgeRacer

Also was set on going today but by the time 10am rolled around I was planning on a trip to the playground with the kids on a 68 degree day. I would have been there last week as well as this week if they opened at 8. 50 bucks more in my pocket I guess.

32 days... 25 at Blue, 3 at frost, 4 in Colorado... Last day was closing day at Blue. Not bad. I feel kinda shitty not skiing any days in April.

Me too, but I've been over it since April 1st.

Kind of an embarrassment to the Catskills if BB can stay open longer than Hunter et al.

i would think the catskills would be able to open this weekend if they wanted to, like most places.  since the balance of the PA hills closed up, BB might be taking advantage of a little extra income.  i am sure they are calculating cost VS income for this past weekend, right now to figure out if it will be worth it.  Keep in mind, BB is running one lift, and its a short one at that, keeping their cost pretty low. 

Nobodys gonna open to lose money or break even.  Nobodys gonna open so the season pass holders can all come out to ski/ride, unfortunately.  

i give BB opening this weekend a 30% chance.  its not about if they will have snow.  they could push BB trail out to stroudsburg theres so much snow there.