1/18/15 - Martin Luther King Day

indiggio

I'm back home from a much better session at Blue mountain than yesterday, bringing my confidence back at bit in the mountain, the snow making and grooming.

I arrived at the lower lot at 7:30am with the temperature a balmy 17 degrees under crystal clear, blue skies, with a roar of the snow guns in the distance.

The lot was virtually empty, as ours was the only car across from the base lodge at the time.

I took my good old natured time getting ready because of the temperature and wind blowing.  Since I took my time, I didn't get in line for the first 6-pack chair, but it didn't matter as the place was pretty empty, which surprised me a bit.  Perhaps now it was too cold for people to come out??

Guns were blazing on Challenge, Nightmare, Dreamweaver and Switchback all day, with a few of the fan guns going off all over for an annoying glaze to the goggles as you passed through.  This became much worse towards the afternoon, especially on Razors, as they hadn't adjusted the mix on Challenge and the wind was carrying most over to skier's left on Razors.  If you stayed left, you had to stop at the bottom of the first headwall to clear the goggles.

Since I didn't need to hustle to get tracks down Razors, I took a run down Paradise which had some sweet, mixed cord to cut up.  Some fresh was mixed in with the granular to make it a fast and smooth run.   Next was a run down Lazy to see how that was.  Some nice snow from the fan gun at the top followed by a coat of new on the run again mixed with the granular, not bad.   Finally took a run down Razor's.   The top was quite wind-blown (which only got worse towards the afternoon), but below the first headwall, the snow was very nice.  There were still some grooming ruts here and there, but nothing like yesterday.

Main street bumps were glacial and NOT fun at all.  The rest of Main Street early was meh.  Still marbles in the middle, but the right lip had some blowoff from Switchback, so there was plenty of fun to be had along there.

Crowds never really materialized the entire day.  Both the quad and 6 were running, but yet again the 6 bit it in the afternoon, causing everyone to bail to the quad.  They had to break out the organizer for a while, but eventually got the 6 going again.  They also were limiting the 6 to 5 riders all day.  We ended up lapping the quad anyway.

Temps during the day came up a bit with the blazing sunshine, but it also brought even stronger winds which pretty much carried all that was being blown at the top of Challenge and Nightmare overtop to Danielsville.  Mt. Mik probably has some nice coverage now.

The rest of the afternoon was spent finding nice snow along the edge of Paradise (no SP were out), Lazy and Main Street, which resulted in some nice thigh burn.

There was some talk of this storm on Fri/Sat on the lift, but I'll choose to believe it when I see it.

Edited by indiggio
  • Like 5