In it for the Long Haul

Rex Goliath

IMHO!  Sorry KC, but i suspect you share some of these sentiments. 

Not sure why the infatuation; in fact had forgotten about it til you guys kept bringing it up.  Agree that there are times when its not financially worthwhile, but then again when the rest of the mountain is open, why not try to get this up and running.

Don't have a dog in this fight anymore but I do have to laugh that many think that the fate of the mountain is all tied up to what is just one aspect of the operation, Long Haul.

There is no snow on the upper Left of the Mountain.  LH was built to serve that portion of the resort before Phoebe was built.   No snow, no need to run it unless it becomes as an absolutely needed thing, like say if Phoebe goes down.  I rode past the mountain yesterday on my way to NY and it's sad to see the lack of snow, but I think all resorts are having that issue, and this past weeks rain didn't help anyone.

Not having this lift running right now is a very smart business decision in my opinion...it's not needed, so don't turn it on.

Reading thru the comments someone here mentioned that once again  "this is the last year".......lol....you do realize how much money both the Peach Festival and Disco Biscuit bring in?  There are a lot of other resorts that would kill to get that revenue especially since Live Nation pays to lease the entire resort and pays the bills..and any other cost related issue including staffing and payroll for those events....it's a 100% cash cow for the mountain, and it's not a figure to brush aside either.  Do they need to spend it on infrastructure?  Sure they do, and they have been doing just that...rental building, New, Lodge, remodeled, Bar, upgraded, rental equipment, new, Lighting, new...I can go on, but you get the picture.  Place has been neglected by previous owners, and that includes the county and that dammned moose (other than the upgrade in snowmaking they did)...it's going to take a while to cover all 430 acres with what has to be done.

Enjoy the rest of the season..and stop worrying about a lift

Edited by KCSKI
  • Like 1

Montage sucks. It's too hard to find the top of Upper FT and Upper Runaway. The lifts need to be easier and faster so thousands of people can be on the slopes. They'll go out of business this year, just like everyone said in 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015. I guarantee it. Montage sucks because there's no lift lines like at Blue and Camelback. It's so much better standing in long lift lines and then riding a HSQ. It makes me feel like I'm skiing more when I'm riding a six pack I waited 10 minutes to get on. Elk has better snow even though the 10000 people there on weekends scrape it off by lunch. I know because the commercials say so. Montage sucks because everybody knows it's better to have long crowded run-ins and run-outs. The Hump is waaaaay better than Boomer or Lightning because you finish on the uber steep Sullivan or John Bailey, which are true black diamonds. Montage sucks because the empty lodge at lunchtime is fukking stupid. It means they are going out of business every year since 1999, like I said. Montage sucks because they can't run a ski area and fill the parking lot with buses. The broad who took over Blue knows it's better to close the best slope and give it to the race team. I sure don't mind skiing over race kid ruts. It's more challenging. I'm gonna keep a daily count of all the days the Long Haul is closed and keeps me from skiing green circles. Montage sucks because when I'm skiing on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesdays every week there's nobody around. They've fukked up skiing and riding now for so many years. It sucks to have an empty resort with untracked cord after lunch on Sundays. I resent it. Skiing should be the same everywhere. Montage sucks because it should be more like Blue. Montage sucks because it bans crybabies from its Facebook. I have a right to CRY! MONTAGESUCKSMONTAGESUCKSMONTAGESUCKSMONTAGESUCKSMONTAGESUCKSMONTAGESUCKSMONTAGESUCKS!!!! I spent last Saturday with friends at Blue and only one of my buds had his lock cut and skis stolen, by the way. But if we were at Montage all our gear would have been stolen because Scranton is a ghetto compared to Allentown. Allentown is def the Mecca of skiing and boarding. Montage will continue to suck until more city people start showing up because that's what makes for a good ski area. And when Montage closes I'm def headed to Jack Frost for the challenging steeps. Oh, man, I can't wait for the thrills. Challenge is a real heart stopper. Fukking Montage sucks harder than Doug's favorite glory hole.

• Like 3

Doesn't blue have complimentary ski check.

So does Montage. which isn't always necessary when you can park literally (not figuratively) next to the lift that you will be using the most. 

Edited by Schif
  • Like 1

I assumed that rant was tongue in cheek making fun of the things people post about montage.

I would certainly take no line for the Phoebe Snow lift over a herd like mob spending 20 minutes jostling for position to get on a high speed sofa.

No lift lines today at blue would have taken me five hours at montage to ski what I skied in two hours at blue.

Closed today.

Upper and Lower Fast Track closed.

So much for the big holiday weekend theory!

Wow I guess it's not cold enough to blow snow on those trails.

No lift lines today at blue would have taken me five hours at montage to ski what I skied in two hours at blue.

Wow I guess it's not cold enough to blow snow on those trails.

It happens, but the one day I was at Blue this year the lines were so bad I got 7 runs in over 4 hours. I could have done about 20 on Phoebe Snow in that time, and with much less aggravation because sitting on a lift is relaxing and scenic while jostling for line position in a disorganized mob is annoying as hell.

It happens, but the one day I was at Blue this year the lines were so bad I got 7 runs in over 4 hours. I could have done about 20 on Phoebe Snow in that time, and with much less aggravation because sitting on a lift is relaxing and scenic while jostling for line position in a disorganized mob is annoying as hell.

Yeah but you never get there till 10am.

Scan in, stay far left, go by everyone, and mosey your way into line

Not possible if there's a full corral and definitely not if you aren't VIP. TP4 you behave yourself.

At the 6er people line up in rows of 3 or 4 going way back. Just ride by all of them and hop onto one of the 3 orb4 person rows. It isn't even line cutting, it's getting by people who don't give 2 shits about the environment by inefficiently not going up in full chairs, therefore requiring more energy used and more harm to mother earth

How is more energy used?? The six pack runs all day except for when it breaks down.

When were lift lines 30 minutes at Blue this year?