1/20/16 - Guns and Groomers

indiggio

Just got back from a quickie 2 hour session up at Blue, now I'm sitting here with a Tiny stout to recap.

Rolled into the lower lot just after 6pm.  I didn't notice the temp, but when I left the house it was 28.

The place was quite empty, save a few school buses, but they didn't carry over much to the runs.

Rode up the 6 to see that the guns were off on Challenge and Razors, with groomers working the middle in earnest, just below the first headwall.

They've got a few features already set on Central Park, but the rest of the run was maybe 2nd groomed.  It needs another pass before they open it.

Looks like they didn't get a lot of production on Razors at the top, probably due to the winds the past couple of days.

Challenge has got some mammoth whales on it, one in particular looks like some kind of ice-fanged monster.

They haven't started grooming on Challenge as of yet, but I suspect they'll have it ready by the weekend.

Looking farther East, the guns were still blazing on Nightmare and Dreamweaver.

Took a run down Paradise to see what it was like and found the snow to be in excellent shape.

Lots of hard pack in the middle and talcum powder like on the sides.  Anything you desire could be found.

Rode up the quad to check out NMDW.

At the intersection of NM, DW & Paradise, it doesn't look like they got a lot out of the snowmaking, again probably due to the wind.

They've got a bit to go yet to get that area covered as the wells there aren't that big either.

Nightmare has some decent wells, but a lot of the snow is up on the hill, Paradise and Danielsville.

Lazy had similar snow to Paradise, but the middle was a bit more scraped, mostly due to the crowds.

As I rode up the 6 this time, lo and behold, on come the guns on Sidewinder.

Went over towards Main Street and looked down Switchback.

They've got it rough-groomed now and were still working the middle section yet.

It's a tough call if they'll get it opened by tomorrow or not.  Ya never know Blue's plans.

Made a few runs through some newly seeded bumps.

They're spaced way too far apart at the moment with some deep ruts in the troughs.

They need to have more people ski them to get them in shape.

However, the lower set of bumps are in much better shape than the ones up top.

The lip on the right of Main Street was still in superb shape with lots of scraped and fresh snow.  Lots to play in there.

As I was nearing the end of the session, they brought the winch-cat over to Razors, so they'll probably get to working the headwalls with it tonight.

Hopefully they'll at least rough-groom Challenge so the snow dries a bit.

Looking like this weekend is going to be a pretty good one at Blue.

• Like 2

Razors just opened. I heard the golf balls on it were worse than Switchback, so decided to play it safe. With the exception of those 2 trails, everything really nice.

Typical first day conditions after grooming newly blown snow.

First few runs down them are usually pretty good, but after the crowds get on them, up come the cookies, marbles, golf balls, etc.