Taos 2016

NMSKI

Under 3 weeks and counting.  Finally starting to feel like ski season for me. 

Now, this just needs to keep up for the next few weeks and I'll be a happy boy.

post-3489-0-10469100-1454345117_thumb.png

Lol, I just realized that this year is 2016, but I'm not good enough at computers to change the name of the thread.

post-3489-0-71464700-1454345190_thumb.png

Edited by NMSKI
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Today through Friday, maybe Saturday on the slopes. Heading up shortly. Today will be hard pack, but snow moving in tonight which is badly needed. Wednesday by all forecasts looks to be a classic Taos day of intense sunshine and pow. Do my best to keep it interesting with pics. Computer situation is iffy so vids might be when I get home.

• Like 4

Might head to Taos in a few weeks if conditions improve since my brother is not coming out now.  NMSKI, I'd appreciate any pointers you have as far as lodging goes, options don't seem too plentiful.  Also, any mountain knowledge would be great.

Might head to Taos in a few weeks if conditions improve since my brother is not coming out now.  NMSKI, I'd appreciate any pointers you have as far as lodging goes, options don't seem too plentiful.  Also, any mountain knowledge would be great.

That's lame that Pocono isn't coming to Colorado.

• Like 1

Yesterday was a good warmup, today was great. Didn't need to hike for any fresh. They only reported 3 inches, but I would say 6-8 up high. Hunziker bowl to high noon to El Funko was the run of the day. The entrance to El Funko was downright scary, but the snow was sweet in there. I had a scary moment when I got cliffed out where I didn't realize there was one, proceeded to attempt a jump turn to the only safe place, fell, broke a sapling in half and fell over the cliff I was trying to avoid. Landed in soft powder, but had to hike about 50 yards uphill to retrieve a ski. I'm ok, just a big gash on my leg, and a tiny cut on my face. Still got all my teefers. Go pro footage of this is gonna be funny. Beer o clock!!

• Like 9

Today was a beautiful sunny day with still some fresh snow. Kachina lift opened at 9:30 and I was probably the 5th person up. Storm totals were not enough to completely refresh everything up there, but there was nice powder in between enormous bumps. Interesting. Hit kachina 4 (I think), blitz trees off of west basin, hunziker bowl again, Lorelei trees, Japanese flag glade, walkyries glade, and many others. Skied a lot of trees today. Skied harder from bell to bell than I have in a while. I'm sunburned as fuck too.

Kachina peak scenery

e11689c2a39844233e01df9f9876ca54.jpg

1486327ee47fc3d9ba2a97f9eb8dbe1c.jpg

Skied the chute right down the middle of this picture (K4)

af474e44effeab51ebae62eb3d0b0742.jpg

Tree skiing

8f59e06618244c1ace20d54d33bae03c.jpg

50fa68a49e070afd634cf1682b29fd2e.jpg

ed81a34c744ce2639d7e7a53a24489d4.jpg

Hunziker bowl, one of my favorite spots on earth

65a2346ab81bd88a1f859962ec842ee5.jpg

caf48a35d0d2b575168f3ddf2f63716e.jpg

Scenic photo

c394703fe0b47fcc48ae62018e244cfd.jpg

Worked up a thirst

0458f0873d8df5dc0cea3524055e5265.jpg

Edited by NMSKI
  • Like 5

Might head to Taos in a few weeks if conditions improve since my brother is not coming out now. NMSKI, I'd appreciate any pointers you have as far as lodging goes, options don't seem too plentiful. Also, any mountain knowledge would be great.

Sorry didn't see this. If you're looking for slope side, you could try the alpine village suites. I prefer in town since it's an easy drive though. I've stayed at the Wyndham world mark and kachina lodge recently. Kachina lodge was super cheap and kind of run down but not terrible. There's the snow mansion hostel in arroyo seco. The sagebrush inn is popular but I've never stayed there.

Mountain knowledge I could go on forever, but try all the steeps off of lift 2. Hike both ridges. Don't overlook the "Bambi ridge" where you can find sir Arnold Lynn, the Bambi chutes and Lorelei. Also the what chutes if you're into crazy shit. Go into hunziker bowl, but keep traversing even beyond where it seems like it makes sense and go into high noon bowl and el Funko. If the snows good you'll be rewarded. Don't miss longhorn and North American if it's open. If you ski longhorn tell anybody bragging about Al's run that they are a pussy. Much longer and steeper.