1/7/17..chilly and lots of snowmaking.

Hey all,

I'm back from a fun session at Blue mountain the true mountain. While it's easy to complain that razors and nightmare to Dreamweaver and switchback aren't open yet, on this date last year Blue mountain opened for the season the second time after a two day opening in late December. With 3+ weeks of skiing already in the books I was optimistic as I drove the 30+ minutes to Blue mountain the true mountain. When I arrived at 730am it was 18 degrees at the base under overcast sky's. In the house were Atomic Jeff, Ryan, Johnny Law, MBike Mike, Indiggio, Slim, George, TheDude4Bides and many others.

First civilian chair at 801am and the guns were boxing on razors, sidewinder, Central Park, lower park and were lit up on nightmare to Dreamweaver shortly thereafter. First run on challenge delivered a nice coating of man made fresh over soft groomed snow and frosted over goggles which had me question whether I remembered to wear my contact lenses. By the top of the second lift ride, challenge was closed off for the race team and we hit up Main Street which was immaculate on the top half and not bad lower down except for the bee line of race groms flying down midway to lower Main Street to shuttle to home stretch. Repeat on Main Street then some paradise. The snow was alright and last turn is narrow. Lazy mile was crazy mile but decent snow. Then back to Main Street for more. By 9am lower Main Street was getting some serious chop from the mad sweet and low sugar. Back to paradise for more spiciness and lazy for more crazy and Main Street for more chippity chop. I didn't ski the bumps but heard they were bulletproof.

Bundled up as a solid four layer player(to cold for faded grease stained purple polo) had some IPAs in the lot. Hop Ranch and Perpetual with some PASRs and was out of there before 1130am. No real lift lines to speak of and on the drive home saw that Whitehall and Allentown received a coating of new snow and I heard the Philly area was expecting 2-3" and 6" for the beach. The new snow in the flat lands might bring out some more people tomorrow but they better dress warm. Will be about 8 degrees tomorrow at the lower lot with blustery winds for boot up time. It's all good might have to add a mock turtleneck and balaclava to the mix tomorrow. Should still be decent mid winter conditions early and a lot of fun. JADIP

And thanks for the slice of pizza Johnny law.

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
  • Like 4

Forgot to mention that we hungout with Enjorales and his dad in the lot for awhile and Enjorales actually knows ILikeIceCream from the roller coaster community. He hasn't been out skiing the last few years because he had back surgery. The two times I skied with ILikeIceCream were definitely memorable was like 4 years ago.

• Like 1

Nice pictures Ridge any lifelines and where are the conditions nice?

Didn't see the 2nd part of your question. Snow was good on most of Paradise, especially the upper portion. Tuts was good too. Basically any area with blow over from the snow guns was fun. Burma was decent. Lazy was a minefield on each end with ice in the middle. Didn't ski Challenge since my kid was sore from softball and wanted no parts of it. 

I was calling Tuts lane the high traverse the other night funny but true lol. I always used to think it was named after king tut like at camelback but no it's actually named after the late owner Ray Tuthill.

Reminds me of the Steve Martin song King Tut...born in Arizona moved to Babylonia King tut

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wgTPH5y1-ZI

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

honestly the Waffle Cabin is the best thing to happen to Blue since they cut razors.

I still haven't had a waffle from the waffle cabin and Jackson hole has one at the top of the tram in corbetts cabin and I haven't had one there either. They have a peanut butter and bacon one that sounds good.