12F and a bad choice of wax

eaf

Oh boy, is it cold today or what?! 12F in the morning! If somebody ever tells you that Swix F4 is a universal wax, punch them in the face and call them a liar. Big mistake on my part.

Plenty of people today, but all are in the lodge and on green slopes. Zero wait at blue and black lifts. Bad ticketing lines, both inside and outside.

Snow is awesome. My daughter says best conditions of the season, and that has got to mean something! No ice anywhere, hard base with packed fine powder on top. Great traction. Today any ski will ski well. Just don't use F4 on them.

Thanks for the report eaf. I plan to take a day off to ski Jack Frost sometime soon, but only midweek. I've never been there. It sounds like a cool place like Elk.

Any reason why you found the F4 wax unfavorable? I need to train myself in the waxing arts and am trying to obtain all available information.

7 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Any reason why you found the F4 wax unfavorable?

It was quite slow at first. There is a temp rating on waxes. The stupid part was that I had a low temp was at home but relied on the "universal" label of F4.

29 minutes ago, eaf said:

Plenty of people today, but all are in the lodge and on green slopes. Zero wait at blue and black lifts. Bad ticketing lines, both inside and outside.

Shortest line will always be the ticket window outside by the rental shop.  Window by the circle is for gapers, and the customer service desk is for people with coupons, giftcards, and needing to ask silly questions, like if it snowed last night.  

What are the glades like?  is the elevator skiable?

31 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Thanks for the report eaf. I plan to take a day off to ski Jack Frost sometime soon, but only midweek. I've never been there. It sounds like a cool place like Elk.

Any reason why you found the F4 wax unfavorable? I need to train myself in the waxing arts and am trying to obtain all available information.

http://www.racewax.com/tuning-tips/

Glades condition varies. Very good at Challenge, worse at T-Bolt, not very skiable elsewhere.

Elevator is not skiable at all, plenty of bushes, which frankly makes no difference for me, I wouldn't ski it anyway.

It was a great day, I just wish the pace was a little faster. Too much sitting on lifts, too little skiing. I skied all day and am not even tired. Much prefer the concentrated energy of night BM visits.

3 minutes ago, eaf said:

Glades condition varies. Very good at Challenge, worse at T-Bolt, not very skiable elsewhere.

Elevator is not skiable at all, plenty of bushes, which frankly makes no difference for me, I wouldn't ski it anyway.

It was a great day, I just wish the pace was a little faster. Too much sitting on lifts, too little skiing. I skied all day and am not even tired. Much prefer the concentrated energy of night BM visits.

were there any lifelines at Jack Frost?  Blue started to get some lines after 10am. The only times I've been sore so far this season are the two days I skied the bumps. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

6 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

were there any lifelines at Jack Frost?  Blue started to get some lines after 10am. The only times I've been sore so far this season are the two days I skied the bumps. 

No, zero lines on blue and black trails. That's a huge plus. Slow lifts are a huge minus.

1 minute ago, eaf said:

No, zero lines on blue and black trails. That's a huge plus. Slow lifts are a huge minus.

We used to have a PASR day at Jackson frost every season but haven't in about 6 years as all the former PASR JFBB season pass holders are now blue passholders except for poconoOceanCity

Just now, eaf said:

It's interesting that you bring it up. I understand, they used to be a sponsor here and there was even a discount for PASR members... Well, not anymore according to the owner. They moved to MA and took 10% with them :(

I notice you were on PASR for years and never post. 

3 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

The only times I've been sore so far this season are the two days I skied the bumps. 

I guess, it depends on how long you're on the slopes, and also how you ski. If I take it easy and make exploration the goal, I can ski all day long for a week in big mountains. Comes handy when you're in a new vast place. But after two days of racing BM up and down I feel that a third day in a row would definitely be unbearable.

Just now, eaf said:

I guess, it depends on how long you're on the slopes, and also how you ski. If I take it easy and make exploration the goal, I can ski all day long for a week in big mountains. Comes handy when you're in a new vast place. But after two days of racing BM up and down I feel that a third day in a row would definitely be unbearable.

I skied 61 days in a row at Blue in 2007 and I was definitely sore some of those days. That's also back when I put in much longer sessions. 

2 minutes ago, eaf said:

I skied 61 days in a row at Blue in 2007 and I was definitely sore some of those days. That's also back when I put in much longer sessions. 

I ski hard out west open to ???? Usually quit after a late lunch one day last year did more skiing after lunch till closing bell.