Hey Salty..

7 hours ago, momskeeztoo said:

At least at least a lot of guys like to ski. Try being a woman on the down side of 50, and see how many people you have to ski with! I am actually starting to meet some women my age that ski Blue routinely during the week. 

So true. (And even worse if you're nearing fifty and play basketball!)

Fwiw, the SkiDiva site is great for meeting women who are excellent skiers. And I've met tons of awesome women while traveling in VT and at Mammoth through the site. I've never had a bad day skiing with anyone I've met on Ski Diva. 

There are a number of local women on the Diva site who seem to ski at JF and Montage if I'm not mistaken, though I met them at Elk. They are awesome skiers and really nice people. 

I tend to ski alone just out of inclination (a friend once called me "defiantly solitary" and she did not mean it as a compliment) and I accidentally ruffled some local feathers by throwing shade at Dieter at Alpina for mounting my Soul Riders weird, so locally I tend to keep to myself.  I don't know of anyone who necessarily has weekdays free, but there's at least one mid-Atlantic thread over there and it would definitely be worth a visit. 

Anyway, back on topic: RTMs are lame, gratuitous Salty insult, Camelback sucks, etc. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Salty, when are you leaving for Stowe?  They are getting snow Sunday, Monday and Wednesday.  

I guess I'm leaving Saturday. All this damn snow is going to make it hard to drive Sunday so now I need to stay an extra day. Stupid snow.

5 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Blue mountain season passes go on sale February 21st!!  Great news Salty you'll have 5-6 weeks of fun on the 2018-19 pass. 

Thanks. I'll have to do a price comparison to Camelback's. I think there's is only $399 but Blue's costs $449.

17 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Thanks. I'll have to do a price comparison to Camelback's. I think there's is only $399 but Blue's costs $449.

Yeah but you get the rest of this season as well plus VIP line, 10% off food, a buddy pass and can ski with all the PASRs.  You haven't lived until you've taken part in sausage Sunday..it's epic!!!  Bring some coarse brown mustard and franks. 

Oh and gaper day..

IMG_1689.PNG

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Are you really considering Camelback again for next season???  For some reason I thought you liked blue better because blue opens earlier and matt edge skis there 

I'm pretty sure you said matt edge is strongly considering buying a Camelback Superpass for next season, so I'm thinking we'll go there and do some runs on Uncle Bill's way to practice for Verbier.

2 minutes ago, saltyant said:

I'm pretty sure you said matt edge is strongly considering buying a Camelback Superpass for next season, so I'm thinking we'll go there and do some runs on Uncle Bill's way to practice for Verbier.

No he was considering skiing Camelback for a day, not buying a superpass...that's why he wanted to know what conditions were like on King tut

13 hours ago, SallyCat said:

I tend to ski alone just out of inclination (a friend once called me "defiantly solitary" and she did not mean it as a compliment)

Yep, that's how I am. I like hanging out with people to an extent, but I truly enjoy the independence of doing things myself. I made a solo trip out west for 3 weeks and was never bored or felt the need to have to drag someone along with me to do things I'm interested in and they're not. If I'm in the mood I talk to people, mostly fellow tourists. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing things alone sometimes, even though some people might think it's odd.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Yep, that's how I am. I like hanging out with people to an extent, but I truly enjoy the independence of doing things myself. I made a solo trip out west for 3 weeks and was never bored or felt the need to have to drag someone along with me to do things I'm interested in and they're not. If I'm in the mood I talk to people, mostly fellow tourists. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing things alone sometimes, even though some people might think it's odd.

I've travelled alone more than with others in the last decade.  I'm going to Europe alone this summer. Solo travel is a good opportunity to meet people.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, saltyant said:

I guess I'm leaving Saturday. All this damn snow is going to make it hard to drive Sunday so now I need to stay an extra day. Stupid snow.

That's great you get an extra ski day.  So we're supposed to get a snowstorm Sunday. That's great!!!  When are you gonna update your stats.  

12 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

No he was considering skiing Camelback for a day, not buying a superpass...that's why he wanted to know what conditions were like on King tut

King Tut is probably the best blue trail at Camelback, possibly even in the world. After you ride the Sullivan Trail to the top of the mountain, you have to work your way across some flat terrain, and what might even be a slight uphill grade. Before you pass the top of the Bailey Chair, take note of the sign that says "intermediates/experts only" that is on the left side of the trail. Before beginning the steep part, you can observe snowboarders sitting on the benches on the left, taking a break after exhaustively making their way across grueling flat terrain by using one leg, and then having to rebind once again, just like they do before beginning every single run. After passing the benches, you can look off in the distance and see Interstate 80, the magical passageway to Camelback, and there's a small bridge on the horizon. Now the steep part of the piste begins, and you need to keep your speed under control. Typically the left side of the trail is in better shape than the right side. The right side tends to have more small piles of powder, which can make turning difficult for low level intermediate skiers. On the right side take note of The Hump, which I consider to be the most difficult slope at Camelback because it's always a sheet of ice for some reason, and there's a turn to the right whereas all other black diamonds (except for Pharaoh, a true black) are straight runs before they dump into other challenging black diamond trails. Shortly thereafter, you'll hit the famous elbow, where you can pause on the flat part of the trail and peer down below at the magnificent hotel and water park. It really is a nice view. Then the real steep part of the trail begins, but it's pretty wide so you can generally avoid most of the gapers that should stick to Coolmoor. This part of the trail can also be icy, like The Hump, but is generally not even remotely close to The Hump in terms of iciness.  This part of the trail is crucial to gaining enough speed to rocket back down to Sullivan Lift without needing to use your polls or put any effort into moving forward. Next you look to skier's left to check for traffic coming off Birches, and then you can zoom into The Meadows, which is very wide like Snowshed at Killington, and is a slow zone so make sure if you're going over the speed limit to always check for po po. Near the end of The Meadows, you'll see the lodge and can check the time if you can still read the old fashioned analog clock, and then after making a sharp right, you'll have just enough speed to get back into the single's line as long as you gained enough momentum at Upper King Tut's. It truly is an epic run, and make sure you pass this information on to matt edge so he will strongly consider buying a 2018-2019 Super Pass and then we can ski King Tut all winter long and also maybe even Uncle Bill's Way.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

That's great you get an extra ski day.  So we're supposed to get a snowstorm Sunday. That's great!!!  When are you gonna update your stats.  

I'm not planning to ski on Sunday. Way too crowded, and it's $94 for tickets in advance and $131 at the window. I think I'll go to Burlington and check the town out, and then drive around and do touristy things. I'll be skiing 5 days in a row in epic powder conditions.

3 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Salty there's a new invention called a paragraph. 

You said matt edge wanted to know how King Tut is so I provided as much details as he would need to make a decision. I think spaces use bandwidth so I don't want to waste any of that so the owner of this site can continue to provide this forum for free and without ads.

Edited by saltyant

3 minutes ago, saltyant said:

King Tut is probably the best blue trail at Camelback, possibly even in the world. After you ride the Sullivan Trail to the top of the mountain, you have to work your way across some flat terrain, and what might even be a slight uphill grade. Before you pass the top of the Bailey Chair, take note of the sign that says "intermediates/experts only" that is on the left side of the trail. Before beginning the steep part, you can observe snowboarders sitting on the benches on the left, taking a break after exhaustively making their way across grueling flat terrain by using one leg, and then having to rebind once again, just like they do before beginning every single run. After passing the benches, you can look off in the distance and see Interstate 80, the magical passageway to Camelback, and there's a small bridge on the horizon. Now the steep part of the piste begins, and you need to keep your speed under control. Typically the left side of the trail is in better shape than the right side. The right side tends to have more small piles of powder, which can make turning difficult for low level intermediate skiers. On the right side take note of The Hump, which I consider to be the most difficult slope at Camelback because it's always a sheet of ice for some reason, and there's a turn to the right whereas all other black diamonds (except for Pharaoh, a true black) are straight runs before they dump into other challenging black diamond trails. Shortly thereafter, you'll hit the famous elbow, where you can pause on the flat part of the trail and peer down below at the magnificent hotel and water park. It really is a nice view. Then the real steep part of the trail begins, but it's pretty wide so you can generally avoid most of the gapers that should stick to Coolmoor. This part of the trail can also be icy, like The Hump, but is generally not even remotely close to The Hump in terms of iciness.  This part of the trail is crucial to gaining enough speed to rocket back down to Sullivan Lift without needing to use your polls or put any effort into moving forward. Next you look to skier's left to check for traffic coming off Birches, and then you can zoom into The Meadows, which is very wide like Snowshed at Killington, and is a slow zone so make sure if you're going over the speed limit to always check for po po. Near the end of The Meadows, you'll see the lodge and can check the time if you can still read the old fashioned analog clock, and then after making a sharp right, you'll have just enough speed to get back into the single's line as long as you gained enough momentum at Upper King Tut's. It truly is an epic run, and make sure you pass this information on to matt edge so he will strongly consider buying a 2018-2019 Super Pass and then we can ski King Tut all winter long and also maybe even Uncle Bill's Way.

I'll pass the info on to matt edge. Isn't the Hump nice cordoroy first thing in the morning when it's fresh groomed??

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, saltyant said:

I'm not planning to ski on Sunday. Way too crowded, and it's $94 for tickets in advance and $131 at the window. I think I'll go to Burlington and check the town out, and then drive around and do touristy things. I'll be skiing 5 days in a row in epic powder conditions.

Have fun in Burlington..that's where I went to college.  I'll be living vicariously through your real time reports from the people's republic of Vermont.  

• Like 1

Just now, saltyant said:

Yes but tell him to hit that run early because it goes to hell really fast.

I just told him. Matt Edge also asked me what you are having for dinner tonight.  He's have meatloaf and mashed potatoes and an ice cream sandwich for dessert washed down with a Capri sun. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Have fun in Burlington..that's where I went to college.  I'll be living vicariously through your real time reports from the people's republic of Vermont.  

Never been there. I enjoy walking around small towns and just checking out everything. I go in and out of gift shops and sometimes ask the sales people questions, but I don't think I've ever actually bought anything.