Hey Salty..

19 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Thanks Sally and Steeze. Never actually said anything about quitting the site. All I said was that if I quit skiing right now no one would ever catch up to my stats because I'm so far ahead, and then all the haters started attacking because they're jealous that I made 700 runs on Honeymoon.

I bet Indiggio has more vert than you!!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, SallyCat said:

I love being a renter. We may be the dirtbags of the real estate world, but I never shovel snow, rake leaves, or mow the lawn. When stuff breaks it gets fixed, and if I want to explode  my professional life in PA and then move outside the blast zone, I have total freedom as soon as my lease is up!

Renting can be a better option financially depending on various circumstances. The New York Times has a calculator with numerous inputs to compare renting and owning. People automatically think renting is throwing money away because you're not building equity, but if your rent is cheap and you invest in the stock market instead, you can come out ahead of owning. This seems especially true lately with the bull market. Nothing at all wrong with being a renter. 

Edited by saltyant
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Renting can be a better option financially depending on various circumstances. The New York Times has a calculator with numerous inputs to compare renting and owning. People automatically think renting is throwing money away because you're not building equity, but if your rent is cheap and you invest in the stock market instead, you can come out ahead of owning. This seems especially true lately with the bull market. Nothing at all wrong with being a renter. 

Hell yeah man.  20% returns from last year are a no joke way to grow money.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Just waiting for the 20% correction that's overdue... 

Who says it's overdue?  This could go on another decade.  If you maintain your desired asset allocation (+/- 1%), that alone will force you to always buy low and sell high.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Salty are you getting excited for Stowe?? Looks like good weather.  Seasonably cold with some snow chances. I hope you get dumped on so you can use your RTMs to their full potential 

Yeah man! Weather looks perfect. Hopefully I get some freshies while I'm there. Also hoping Stowe re-engergizes my love for skiing, since i haven't been feeling it the last few times out.

I'm trying to invest for the long term, and I'd hate to be on the sidelines when the Dow hits 50K next year. I dont really believe in timing the market, although I know people can and do make a living off of it. I buy into the efficient market hypothesis.

3 minutes ago, RootDKJ said:

Who says it's overdue?  This could go on another decade.  If you maintain your desired asset allocation (+/- 1%), that alone will force you to always buy low and sell high.

Just being pessimistic again as usual. But who knows. History shows that runs like this are often followed by a nasty correction, but I still believe if you stick it out for the long term and hold on during the downturns you'll be ok.

Edited by saltyant

If I was within 5 years of retiring, I'd probably adjust my holdings a lot right now, since many equity investments are at all time highs.  2008 was a great lesson for me in portfolio management during a big correction.  Scary as fuck to keep buying/holding all though that period, but it all worked out in the end.  Are you an indexer?

How do the bases of your skis look?  Any white/grey areas, near the edges?  If so a good waxing is in order before you ski Stowe.

1 hour ago, saltyant said:

All I said was that if I quit skiing right now no one would ever catch up to my stats because I'm so far ahead, and then all the haters started attacking because they're jealous that I made 700 runs on Honeymoon.

I don't think anyone here skis longer days than I do on weekends. I like a nice 10-12 hour marathon, and those stats are bonkers. Doesn't mean I'm a good skier. Doesn't mean anything. 

Well, the bartender at Slopeside now says "Perpetual IPA?" before I even take my jacket off, and I'm not sure how I feel about that. But like Lloyd Bridges said in Airplane, "...I picked a bad week to give up sniffing glue." 

Malcolm Gladwell's made a sweet career for himself spouting absolute horse shit and then counting his money while actual experts quietly discredit him. That whole "ten thousand hours of practice makes you an expert" thesis is utter nonsense. It's the quality and intentionality that matters, not the number of hours or runs, or speed. It's the quality.

• Thanks 3

24 minutes ago, RootDKJ said:

If I was within 5 years of retiring, I'd probably adjust my holdings a lot right now, since many equity investments are at all time highs.  2008 was a great lesson for me in portfolio management during a big correction.  Scary as fuck to keep buying/holding all though that period, but it all worked out in the end.  Are you an indexer?

How do the bases of your skis look?  Any white/grey areas, near the edges?  If so a good waxing is in order before you ski Stowe.

Root, what age do you think you're gonna retire at??  My goal is 49...there are many variables though..mainly maximizing business profits and savings. 

12 minutes ago, SallyCat said:

I don't think anyone here skis longer days than I do on weekends. I like a nice 10-12 hour marathon, and those stats are bonkers. Doesn't mean I'm a good skier. Doesn't mean anything. 

Well, the bartender at Slopeside now says "Perpetual IPA?" before I even take my jacket off, and I'm not sure how I feel about that. But like Lloyd Bridges said in Airplane, "...I picked a bad week to give up sniffing glue." 

Malcolm Gladwell's made a sweet career for himself spouting absolute horse shit and then counting his money while actual experts quietly discredit him. That whole "ten thousand hours of practice makes you an expert" thesis is utter nonsense. It's the quality and intentionality that matters, not the number of hours or runs, or speed. It's the quality.

I've never had a beer before at slopeside. How much are pints of perpetual??

2 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Root, what age do you think you're gonna retire at??  My goal is 49...there are many variables though..mainly maximizing business profits and savings. 

That's the big question, and I don't think I have a good answer for it yet as there are a lot of variables.  The longer I stay employed, the more I can tax-shelter money, so there's that factor.  Sooner the better of course.

7 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

That's why I stopped tracking my vert. The five untracked runs the other day here at JH was better than 50 runs down honeymoon waltz at camelwack

I track my vert, only because the iPhone app I use does it for me.  Counting runs in my head doesn't work past 6

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I've never had a beer before at slopeside. How much are pints of perpetual??

A ridiculous 6.50. I usually bring pocket beer and enjoy it on the patio but sometimes if it's cold I'll splurge just to sit inside. The bartender is borderline Rain Man for remembering my order--I don't really go in that often. 

4 minutes ago, RootDKJ said:

That's the big question, and I don't think I have a good answer for it yet as there are a lot of variables.  The longer I stay employed, the more I can tax-shelter money, so there's that factor.  Sooner the better of course.

My variables include my parents, business, income and savings.  I only work because I need money for life. Work to live not live to work..I do get a nice burst of adrenaline from successfully upselling customers. 

7 minutes ago, SallyCat said:

A ridiculous 6.50. I usually bring pocket beer and enjoy it on the patio but sometimes if it's cold I'll splurge just to sit inside. The bartender is borderline Rain Man for remembering my order--I don't really go in that often. 

I'm more rainman than rainman. $6.50 isn't really that bad for an IPA at a ski resort.  At my local bar it's probably $5..

• Like 2