Jack Frost - 3/13/2018 - Get After It

EdBacon

Jack Frost was good today. Almost everything in the woods on the East Mountain is filled in. We had it all today: glades, cliffs, packed pow on the trails and stashes that lasted all day. You could drop into glades which had maybe one or two tracks in them until lunchtime. The base set up from the last two storms has held together well and the 4 inches or so they received last night rode soft and buttery today. I had no problems with rocks or debris except on the lower portion of T-bolt glade. The trails were riding great too: packed pow and ample pow along the sides of most trails. 

The place was practically empty. I shared the east mountain with maybe ten people all morning. 

Didn't get to Mad Tree or the glade skiers right of Telstar though. Maybe next year if the conditions line up again.

Video evidence: 

jS80dzZ.jpg

HutnYGM.jpg

d6cDrrI.jpg

Edited by EdBacon
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, EdBacon said:

Did snowboarding become uncool again? 

I noticed Blue got rid of their parks yesterday. 

It always surprises me how little snowboarders there are at blue on a regular basis. This past weekend while waiting for first chair there were maybe (2) other snowboarders in a group 20ish people.

They didn't get rid of parks altogether but they did get rid of sidewinder as a park. Like toast said, about a month ago during one of the rainstorms they lost comearound(normally a park) altogether and have since opened it as a normal trail. I would expect it be a park again next year.

27 minutes ago, EdBacon said:

Did snowboarding become uncool again? 

I noticed Blue got rid of their parks yesterday. 

Wow you're like my fourth favorite Hall and Oates song,"Out of Touch". The sidewinder park used way too much snow, was costly to maintain and most weren't good enough for the big dawg booters.  Blue has four other terrain parks for the Jibhonks including jumps and even a bonk yard. 

Its been discussed before that theres not as much of a freeride scene at Blue as a decade ago.  A decade ago a lot of high school and college kids were at Blue in the park on a regular basis and most have grown up and are only on park skis on gaper day. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

Just now, antman12 said:

It always surprises me how little snowboarders there are at blue on a regular basis. This past weekend while waiting for first chair there were maybe (2) other snowboarders in a group 20ish people.

They didn't get rid of parks altogether but they did get rid of sidewinder as a park. Like toast said, about a month ago during one of the rainstorms they lost comearound(normally a park) altogether and have since opened it as a normal trail. I would expect it be a park again next year.

Antman snowboarding surged in popularity in the 90s and early 2000s and then tapered off. A lot of younger snowboarders either gave up the sport due to family or financial reasons or switched over to skiing. I know several former snowboarders who switched to skiing including Atomic Jeff, angryhugo, Barb and my Montana friend Tom.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Antman snowboarding surged in popularity in the 90s and early 2000s and then tapered off. A lot of younger snowboarders either gave up the sport due to family or financial reasons or switched over to skiing. I know several former snowboarders who switched to skiing including Atomic Jeff, angryhugo, Barb and my Montana friend Tom.  

Yep. I grew up riding Bear Creek. Weeknights would be packed with kids out of school. You'd wait in a long line for the lift on a Wednesday night with absolute trash conditions because all anyone wanted to do was snowboard and lap the park. 

That whole generation either quit or mellowed out.

Edited by EdBacon

1 minute ago, Schif said:

Pretty much everyone I started snowboarding with back in the day has completely dropped off the mountain. 

Same here. I have one buddy that still rides that I keep in touch with. Everyone else either quit or I don't know what happened to them. 

5 minutes ago, EdBacon said:

Yep. I grew up riding Bear Creek. Weeknights would be packed with kids out of school. You'd wait in a long line for the lift on a Wednesday night with absolute trash conditions because all anyone wanted to do was snowboard and lap the park. 

Haha I was one of them and your absolutely correct.

Thinking about it the past couple minutes I cant think of any of my buddies that still ride. 

7 minutes ago, EdBacon said:

Well if you go to blue on a weeknight in January or February it's super packed with school kids.  I'd say 2/3 are on skis and 1/3 are on snowboards.  When I was in middle school ski club, snowboarding wasn't even an option as Blue didn't allow snowboarding until 1996.  I actually argued with the person in charge of Blues Facebook who said it was 1997 but I know better than that person as I know it was during my senior year of high school.  

Before blue allowed snowboarding families would show up with a single snowboarder and leave and go elsewhere when they found out Blue didn't allow snowboarding. When Blue finally allowed snowboarding, only 5 resorts didn't allow snowboarding in the USA including Alta, Mad River Glen, Taos and Deer Valley

16 minutes ago, antman12 said:

I've never found snowboarders and jibhonks in general to be early risers. 

11 minutes ago, trackbiker said:

The switch to skis is even more prevalent out west and in New England. With the advent of wider skis for powder skiing, and popularity of tree skiing, skis are the better option.

Skis are just a better form of transportation than snowboards.  I will sell that Antman rides pretty fast especially considering he doesn't weigh much.