A rumor

skidude

• 1 month later...

Yeah, after skiing at CB for most of my years, when I finally went to check out Blue last year, I was amazed at their bump runs. They were actually really good and only the right side was bumps so you could go in and out of them depending on your mood (and how bad your shins hurt).

They could definently do a nice bump run, I think it would almost be better on a not a trails thats not very steep. Maybe even some of the Meadows, all the way on the side, but that would cause chaos with the beginners.

Bumps on meadows? Whats the point? I'd like to see half of cliffy bumped up...

Uhh... for fun? Because its wide enough that you could put them there without any problems and it would make skiing meadows fun sometimes. Putting bumps on a diamond would probably make for a lot of skidding down ice chunks, knowing how camelback diamonds get. The bumps at blue were on pretty flat trails and they worked nicely.

Are you serious? A World Cup Mogul Competition on Margie's? Sounds like a pipedream...

Serious. Aerials were at Shawnee (on Thundercloud) and IIRC Ballet, when they still did that, was at Big Boulder.

I went to the Aerials at Shawnee and I think I still have some pictures somewhere. John Eaves was there. It was a rainy day and it was mid week, a buddy of mine and I got passes to cover it for "The Cardinal Quill" the newspaper of PMHS. Mrs. (Govacer)Tetor got us out of school that day. The Moguls were to be held over the weekend. I recall the weather turning bitter cold and the bumps never really formed well. For a couple of years there was a sign at the top of Margies saying that a "World Cup Mogul Event" was held on it.

But, yeah, it happened.

Edited by Philpug

I'm pretty sure he wasn't head of ski operations there. Shawnee was just a part of a franchise of ski schools that JCK owned. At least that's what I've heard from my dad, who was an instructor during that time. The lucky bastard got to ski with JCK twice a year when he came there to run workshops. I could be wrong though.

"Olympic skiing legend Jean-Claude Killy, who also consulted on Shawnee's ski racing program and ski school, helped design the trails." -- The News Journal (Delaware)

"To ensure the success of the new ski area, Hope hired three-time Olympic Gold Medallist Jean-Claude Killy to head ski operations at the Mountain." -- Shawnee Inn and History of Shawnee Village

"For winter, we are just minutes from Shawnee Mountain with its ski school (founded by Jean-Claude Killy) and 23 ski trails." -- Shawnee Inn

"Three-time Olympic Skiing Champion Jean Claude Killy acted as a consultant to the mountain on trail design and on ski school programs." -- History of Shawnee Village

"Wise was there in 1975 when the suave Olympic downhill champion Jean-Claude Killy flew to the top of the mountain in a helicopter to promote the ski area. There's a picture of Killy and Wise from that day pinned to the wall in the first-aid center. "He wrote a book later and named Shawnee as one of his top 10 favorite trails in the world," Wise says. As much as he loves the mountain, Wise kind of doubts Killy's sincerity on this one. 'It was probably just promotional.'" -- Philadelphia Inquirer, article about the ski patrol at Shawnee.

I'm sure he consulted, but I don't think he was present there on a daily basis.

• 2 months later...

Holly Batman your the new thread reserrector...and on the topic Jack Nicklaus received the presidential medal of honor because he was good for the game of golf a baseball player, fed chairman Alan Greenspan, and a drooling guy who looked like the guy that Anna Nicole Smith got rich off of were also awarded. Maybe in 20 years Johnney Moseley will win for his mad steezy trick in 1998 and his appearance on the real world/road rules challenges which were not as steezy but still mad Homer Simpson..doh. :pwn3d::wrench::sniffcrack::banana:

I didn't get most of that, (I'm old) but my point was this area is rich in history and money and stranger things have happened.