All things Crested Butte

Barb

Perfect, sunny, warm solo day at CB.  Ran the groomers until about 10:30, then dabbled in the woods and bumps in between trails, while trying to keep myself out of liftlines, as it got pretty busy, or at least busier than its been.  Using the singles line was a 50/50, sometimes it was faster, sometimes i watched groups of 4 just cycling by.  

2 observations here.  its very infrequent to find someone skiing something they shouldn't be on.  Maybe this is at most resorts out of our area, but it sure is a nice break from human slalom.  And there are a TON of little people half my size here that just rip this mountain up.  Barbs neighbors kid is 7, and supposed to be just at another level.  

Met alot of Texans, and a bunch of people from Telluride.  

weather might start to get a little more interesting depending on what forecast you want to believe, but most of them point to tues/wed for some decent accumulation.  I leave Wednesday, but the flights in the afternoon, so i will probably add a day to my pass and ski in the AM.  time will tell on that one.  

At lunch i was running the numbers as to how much each run is costing me based on what i purchased the 6 day pass for, i had an outstanding revelation that had i gone ahead and got the Epic pass, i would have saved 20% on my lodge food probably totaling up to a whopping $25.  So to offset that i am drinking as much of their free water as possible.  

More sun on tap for tomorrow, and hopefully lower crowds.  Jadip

2 crappy pics coming up.  

• Like 9

Busy at CB today.  Big crowd early on but we got in a few real nice empty groomers.  Bumps and trees are getting a little banged up, anything in yesterdays sun was getting firm, but still skiable.  Left at 12, the incoming bus unloaded a full house.  Took a walk in town with Barb, as we got ourselves in the mood for Ryce, only to find out they are closed on Sundays.  Stopped at the Pita place and had a nice lunch.  The Pita place has a bar, and people were definitely there claiming their seat for the game. 

Weather turns a little snowier tomorrow.    

• Like 6

Back relaxing at Barbs place after another fun day at CB.  Switched up the routine this morning to hit the steeper groomers off Silver Queen first then over to run some fast laps off Paradise.  Dipped in some trees to find some really crusty stuff with yesterdays warm afternoon temps.  Went down to the trees off East River, which were better but getting firmer every day. Bumps are still decent, but kinda depends upon what side of the trail they are on.  Lunch break around noon, and thats when the clouds rolled in and visibility was poor at best.  Clouds yielded snow, went back to the frontside to the trees at Horseshoe Springs, which skied well, but there are a few rocky areas to avoid.  Ended up in a gully that was up in either direction to get out, so worked off lunch doing that.  Low crowds today, no Eagles jerseys.  Looks like about 2" fell in the afternoon, and hopefully the overnight snow produces.  

• Like 7

Very short session for me this morning. Fighting a head cold and the visibility was pretty bad. Started at Silver Queen but it wasn’t loading and we heard them say it would be an hour. So we had to skate back uphill to the Red Lady Lift. 

First run down Paradise and I couldn’t see shit. Took it real slow. Told Dan I was going to go down to East River to see if it was better down there. It was a bit. Took a couple from there then met Dan. I decided to just call it a day, didn’t seem to be my day. Dan took a few pics before his phone died. I only took a few also. Snowing hard now and will continue all day

AF7FF987-5F8C-4822-AA3F-BA6F17012B91.thumb.jpeg.2147202714f25bf454e94d171547e38b.jpeg

3BE05AD8-2D3C-4C22-BA83-23B761D33BA8.thumb.jpeg.b327de2ff7941dc350eea098815cf1bf.jpeg

• Like 5

What a fantastic dayat CB!  Couple inches overnight and snow for most of the morning really filled everything in. I really wanted to step up my picture game, but my Iphone set a new record and was dead by 9:30 am. Snapped 2 pics from the first lift ride. 
7554786D-AD10-4B58-90B9-D1C81DC22FBE.thumb.jpeg.bf7598e4be6f99f719716a1007266656.jpeg

B82AF5DB-9A10-4D12-A2BA-F1141B6C2CEE.thumb.jpeg.1def8e76d3f72fbc35a1195d36fb79e5.jpeg

ran the usual laps with a quick lap off the north lift before meeting Barb back down at East River. After we split up again i ran back up to the north lift to get a few more fresh laps there, then went back towards hard face for something a little more challenging. Big drop to get in, but rewarded with some deep turns. Down through some trees, and back to the Paradise lift. Didnt quite make the route i was looking for that @RidgeRacer and i took that dropped us down right on top of Rambo. It can get pretty interesting back there, its rocky and cliffy, and its hard to navigate, so i moved onto the frontside to finish out my day. Over at horseshoe springs i was rewarded with some untouched on a small steep face, after the trees, but had to hoof it out again.  Very low crowds today, actually less then yesterday. Finished up on the frontside which wasnt crowded, and could easily find some nice soft snow on the sides of the trails. 
snow pics from Barbs after a phone recharge. 

Usually the mountain view.  Not so much today  

BE48F412-DD28-4B54-B4FB-0C0D09EC82D5.thumb.jpeg.9754b8f02fe368791ab0e3c73c90b184.jpeg

FAF51BDA-7095-4AC5-B528-0D421BC7C5AD.thumb.jpeg.04c3071330c3ac4f628c5b655181ebd2.jpeg

quick session tomorrow then off to the airport. 

• Like 9

7 hours ago, JFskiDan said:

it hates the cold.  if you keep it nice and toasty warm its ok.  i need an Iphone jawn to keep it warm.  but yeah, its time for an upgrade.  

Yeah, I had an older model that would die pretty quick if I kept it in an outside pocket.
Just moving it to an inside pocket on super cold days helped maintain the charge.

Was a fantastic morning for Dan’s last day. Got in line at the Queen at 8:40 and since it’s a powder day there was a small line. Visibility from the top was terrible, snowing hard. The viz on Paradise is always bad on cloudy days. So I tried my usual trick and went right down to East River. Much better down there, and narrower runs w trees on the sides so they help. 

For me, I felt it was the best I have ever skied in powder. I was playing it conservative as I wanted to break the streak of bad voodoo and season ending injuries while Dan is visiting. The snow was heavy-ish and work to push thru but really really fun! Nothing had a lift line. 

6BBFF439-DA09-48DE-A46E-E587735E110E.thumb.jpeg.3ee006c22e03426b56b17763ba5daf04.jpeg

AA260F9B-DFB1-4F83-8CE3-324AF55B6C4F.thumb.jpeg.008a67a3d361471d1739d4d584136ac4.jpeg

A692AA1D-823B-415B-B48D-F2EB672D701A.thumb.jpeg.bd90b38c7e2bef44f0d65856f1cae908.jpeg

B6D0DD52-1D1C-465E-9056-D541DB1D6226.thumb.jpeg.8fe4069a9b7a9f5b5427ed80d8aa5fbe.jpeg

No action shots as I didn’t want him to have to wait for me. I realize the picture game has been super weak. But I have some girls visiting and we usually stop and take more pictures of each other so will do my best to step it up soon. 
9CAF7A97-F40A-4711-A5A7-89C02F8BE2DD.thumb.png.29ae4b0557ef0bb70372731819bd4a6a.png

Chris Tomer just put this forecast in his blog 😍😍

Edited by Barb
  • Like 6