All things Crested Butte

Barb

so, 16 degrees and the snow was really heavy for whatever reason, maybe it was windblown. kind of snow where people were pretty much eating shit pretty regularly.  Anyways a pretty damn nice day today all the way around.  it was definitely some work to float this heavy stuff, but got actually easier to ski once it was cut up a bit.  First runs for Barb and I were off Paradise bowl, and thats where i quickly found out how heavy the snow was, i skied off the groomer track and it kinda sucked me in, threw me around some, ending up skiing switch a little before i gathered things back up and got things going in the right direction again.  played in some trees, but the overnight snow isnt doing tons to fill in the steeper areas which are pretty trenched out, and scrapey underneath from basically 30 days with no snow. The bumps on the trails were really better than most stuff in the trees.  Barb and i split up for a few runs before meeting back up for lunch.  Found some better trees around International, had no idea where i was actually going, got kinda lost, and ended up at the Umbrella bar. Managed to make it back to Paradise to meet Barb for lunch a little late.  Ate lunch, Barb headed back to her place, and i was just gonna cruise a couple more trails. They had sent a couple couple bombs off earlier as they were working on the high stuff, both Tbars had delayed openings. The Tbars opened after lunch, even though i saw people standing in line before lunch.  i rode the Paradise lift with an instructor who said the stuff off the high lift was kinda blown off, exposed rocks, but the stuff off the North lift was better, but still not great.  i wasnt up for the line up at the Tbars, and since im solo, legs were telling me go home, so i passed on that today.  Snow is supposed to continue until thursday sometime.  It didnt snow too hard during the day, but looking out the window now, things have really picked up some, and its after 4 pm here, so things should get a nice refill, and we will be at it again tomorrow.  
pics in a few.  

WTGAI. I hate it too when I get lost and end up at a bar [emoji6] [emoji482]
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

Dan out  on the mountain and I wanted to snowshoe today to rest my weary legs. Headed out to Washington gulch where you snowshoe the road and after a mile or so can cut into trees. Thought that area would be safe. Avy danger marked a 4 (high) today and watching some CB avalanche center videos stuff is real reactive and unstable. 

Anyway, got the the TH and was the only person there and no tracks, skis or snowshoes, had been laid yet. Started out and looking at slopes to my right that normally I don’t pay attention to, looked ominous. If they slid, would probably knock me off road down other side which goes into the river. I did have my beacon on (always wear it) but was totally alone and just thought, nope, not today. 

image.gif.1114972e0ee43da474d2601db438dea5.gif

4D9B01FC-C12D-495E-9B43-E611AF76F351.thumb.jpeg.a035b5694fa42cd2a0dc26cee4a7bd34.jpeg

B1FF7B98-6917-4CA4-B71A-EBBCDEEDA716.thumb.jpeg.af2069b30423b5d0a2445d6a1837681a.jpeg

Someone going to have a hard time digging out their snowmobile.

So guess I am just taking a rest day.  Getting a head start on making beef stew for Dan’s dinner 

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

Skin lap at the resort this morning. 1 mile up. 
1AED3510-A721-429E-A4E3-73752ECE6F4D.thumb.jpeg.60a941b7a178f111ac20ac9dd0349da8.jpegAA3CBBF2-AFF8-4FA3-A2F0-DCF6E697FF63.thumb.jpeg.16bb3cfb1114befd70b6db3d9b5f31a3.jpeg

currently back at Barbs eating everything in the fridge. Going back to ski shortly with another friend of Barbs who snowboards. Already trying to get her to ditch that and throw on some skis. 

Did you know how to dress for that adventure or did you quickly learn that a t-shirt and shorts are enough under your jacket and pants?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Maybe Dan is bad luck?  First run of the day, caught an edge, went down, felt my knee pop. I refused to have another sled ride so carefully made it down to the on mountain ER. When I unclicked my ski felt a sharp pain that almost knocked me over. Doc says he believes I dislocated knee cap and the pain was it snapping back in. Banged it up pretty good and bruised the cartilage   Underneath. Hopefully in a few days I will be feeling better but no skiing the rest of Dan’s time here. 

luckily my friend is here keeping him company.  Womp womp 

• Sad 9

6 hours ago, toast21602 said:

Did you know how to dress for that adventure or did you quickly learn that a t-shirt and shorts are enough under your jacket and pants?

i had some help from Barb, she had me ditch one upper layer before we started, and i was fine for the trip.  As you know, zero degrees here and zero at home are 2 different things, so i constantly second guess myself out here anyways.  

• Like 3