AHoles in JHole 2024….

Just made it back home.  Travel was smooth…flight was supposed to leave at 2:09PM mountain time and left around 2:30PM but made it back to Newark on time around 820PM eastern. Took a solid 45+ minutes to get bags..but I literally walked onto the Parking spot Haynes bus and had my own bus..$5 tip for the driver cause he helped me with my bags.  

Since it’s only like 9pm on my time I’ll be up for awhile so I’ll start on the Good the Bad and the Ugly.   Way more Good than bad and ugly this trip. 

Some parting shots of the ski area  

EE8F650F-0EF5-4D9A-97D9-56F1F8919256.jpeg

87167202-F520-4FBF-9334-81BA89290093.jpeg

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
  • Like 4

The Lifts:

Good: Those JH lifts boot you up there…and the entire trip maybe 3-4 two minutes or less stops. Was mostly ski on..not many liftlines I don’t count if it’s like 10 chairs or less that’s just a chance to unbuckle boots and wipe sweat from brow.  When it was a little busy when skiing solo late morning, I never waited over like 3 minutes in a singles line and would have been less but some really skittish people in the singles line and dumbass snowboarders who need to be on the outside. Everybody pulls the bars down now…there used to be pushback from the locals years ago and on short lifts like Teton and Teewinot, I often just went with the flow while gripping the lift for dear life lol.  

Bad: the oil was drip drip dripping on peoples ski stuff the one day mostly on Mute and Atomic Jeff from I think the Sublette chair or maybe thunder. 

Ugly…the look on the faces of two employees when I was about to board the gondola they were on..so then I held up and got to ride up with my homeys. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Ugly…the look on the faces of two employees when I was about to board the gondola they were on..so then I held up and got to ride up with my homeys. 

Good man you were about to ruin those poor workers safety break.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, indiggio said:

Won’t matter, they tried to tame the resort with their Blue campaign a decade ago and just attracts more goobers who can’t handle the mountain.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Shadows said:

Irony is lost on me I guess

Huh? It’s snowing today in Jackson hole from Stilson lot to ranch lot to village lot to the mangy moose to the peak.  I’ve been back less than 5 days, skied twice at Blue and worked a couple days and I wanna go back already.  Any Eddie Money fans!!!  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tnt temp said:

Do you guys ever consider other mountains, or is it always JH?

I’ve skied probably 50 other mountains before and I return to Jackson hole the same time every year…so yes I visit other mountains but always Jackson hole every year except I didn’t go in 2021.  

I like knowing my way around, knowing where the best snow, best restaurants are..savvy shit…and every trip when I leave Jackson hole I feel like I have unfinished business.  Even thinking of returning in late March/early April. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

46 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I’ve skied probably 50 other mountains before and I return to Jackson hole the same time every year…so yes I visit other mountains but always Jackson hole every year except I didn’t go in 2021.  

I like knowing my way around, knowing where the best snow, best restaurants are..savvy shit…and every trip when I leave Jackson hole I feel like I have unfinished business.  Even thinking of returning in late March/early April. 

I've only been once, but that mountain owes us something...we were there in march 2020 for the kick-off of Covid! American Style!

Short version:

College friends trip.  As Covid started showing up in the US, we were all wondering what to do.  One of the guys is from Seattle - the first hot spot!  And he was sick!   Doctor said it was probably a sinus infection.  We decided to go for it.

The snow sucked day one.  

The snow sucked day two.  We found pockets here and there but mostly is was frozen stale crud.  At this point, they took the tram and gondi to half capacity.

Dumped snow that night and we woke up to 12-15" - our last day of a three day trip.

Skiing was awesome.  Just insane.  Snowed hard all day.  They closed the tram.  Ride Gondi with party members only.  Restaurants and bars were getting squirrely.

Two party members decided to pull the plug and changed flights to head home as schools and offices were starting to close.

Put a damper on an otherwise perfect day.  We didn't get to ride the tram on a powder day, and we all were a little freaked out, so was hard to really relax and enjoy it.

Snowed all night the next day would have been even better, but they closed the resort.  We had all changed our flights to early departures and all but one got out before the storm shut the airport down. 

Strange trip.  We haven't been back yet but I think next year....

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Yeah but Blue has been really good.  JH wasn’t the same without the Alpenhof being open for lunch. 

I ate at the Alpenhof when I stayed at Jackson Hole in whatever year that was. It was grate. I hear Nastar Glen loves the Alpenhof.