Doug vs. Jeff

Ski

It's much cooler to win as the underdog on gear that is inferior to someone else's.

Since Rob knows Bode so well, he can probably tell you that when Bode was a junior racer, he skied on K2 Four's, which were NOT considered race skis. He won Junior Olympics on them, coming from nowhere, then continued on them in early WC races. It made K2 Four's one of the most famous skis of all time.

HAHAHA - why did you leave out the part that those K2's were the first shaped skis made, or so he touts in his book - as being the guy who introduced the shaped ski to racing.

If a speed suit helped Ridge beat Atomic Jeff, then it is definitely a good thing.

There was no competition that night, I think Skimom noticed the results that evening while the races were being posted - We didn't even really know that Jeff was there that night - I don't believe he had his speed suit then, maybe he did, I think that came later when we decided to go to the Nationals where everyone wheres one.

Do what you want, but I wouldn't suggest buying a speed suit for NASTAR. The 1 second savings is a speed suit vs. a coat. It's barely a couple of tenths if you have something on that's not bulky.

Ski is right, I notice that a lot of the guys at BC, who seem serious are just wearing form fitting stuff. Ridges normal skiing attire is a parachute compared to a speed suit. There is middle of the road stuff.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HAHAHA - why did you leave out the part that those K2's were the first shaped skis made

IDK, probably because Elan and Kneissl made the first shaped ski. Snowboard design and Prince tennis raquets had more to do with shaped ski revolution than Bode. Bode's book apparently wasn't fact-checked very well.

IDK, probably because Elan and Kneissl made the first shaped ski. Snowboard design and Prince tennis raquets had more to do with shaped ski revolution than Bode. Bode's book apparently wasn't fact-checked very well.

I left the book up at the mountain, but I remember he saying how pleased he was with this new type of ski that he had to race on them. According to that book he was the only racer on a shaped ski, so therefore he was on superior equipment. Subsequently he nailed the JO -- BTW he carefully omitted the name of the coach who had DQ'd him the previous year from the JO's. Do you happen to know what that coaches name is?

Another caveat is the nice things he says about atomic.. Of course that could just be an endorsement nod. He said something along the lines finally, a ski, I couldn't break.

Edited by Papasteeze

Bode has skied K2, Fischer, Rossi, and now Atomic. Every ski he was on he said the following: "These are the best skis I've ever been on. The designers take my input and produce a custom ski for me. It's a great, winning relationship."

It's his job to say exactly that, about skis he endorses. But Bode used to blast K2's whenever he crashed. He used to openly blame the skis and K2 cringed every time. He's gotten a lot smarter since then, as witnessed by his early pre-release problems with Rossi.

Bode skis on gear for whatever manufacturer will pay him the most. He believes in himself, not just gear. There was a bidding war for Bode two years ago. That's why he's on Atomics.

Bode has skied K2, Fischer, Rossi, and now Atomic. Every ski he was on he said the following: "These are the best skis I've ever been on. The designers take my input and produce a custom ski for me. It's a great, winning relationship."

It's his job to say exactly that, about skis he endorses. But Bode used to blast K2's whenever he crashed. He used to openly blame the skis and K2 cringed every time. He's gotten a lot smarter since then, as witnessed by his early pre-release problems with Rossi.

Bode skis on gear for whatever manufacturer will pay him the most. He believes in himself, not just gear. There was a bidding war for Bode two years ago. That's why he's on Atomics.

Yeah - I believe that.. It was interesting to find out how much he says he is involved with development of his skis.. Where do his skis go after race day, I wonder is he on a new set every race or does he have favorite pairs for favorite runs/conditions.

This race is getting pretty big. My bookie is even taking some bets on this bad boy. I'm going to throw my money (roughly $0.50) on Jeff. Nothing against Doug though. I wish I was able to be there tonight. Good luck guys.

Well, gentlemen, good luck. may the fastest freestyler, er, racer win. :nana

I'm feeling strong today. Really strong. Like, race strong. By Saturday morning I should be ready to charge the course with all i've got. After tonight Jeff will either be riding a high horse or looking for some sweet revenge. Either way, his match up with me on Saturday is going to be intense.

Anyone coming to see the intense action saturday?

I'm dieing in anticipation....Somone who has Jeff's (or dougs) number should give them a call ASAP to find out whats going on after the first few runs.

As far as shaped skis, Elan was the first compainy to come out with a pair of shaped skis....

How much does a good speed suit cost, should I get a padded one? Should I buy used? :banghead

Seriously, don't get one if you only aspire to do local NASTARS. If you want to do the NASTAR Nationals or other races (ASRA, USSA Masters), you should get one. In another month, companies will start to drop the price. I got mine for under $100 at the end of the season. They cost several hundred early on.

Reliable has a nice selection, but Artech is the least expensive. It's a Mom and Pop racing supply company with the best prices on nearly everything.

Absolutely get padded. Padding is a must!

I wonder who's winning! Hurry up and post the results. Hey Doug, what's your real name anyway? :rofl

You can often grab a used speed suit for $150 or so. They are hard to find in mid-season, though. A decent new suit is generally a little under $300. And you do want the slightly more expensive GS suit as opposed to the non-padded DH suit.

Try reliableracing.com first.

And I'll be there tonight racing...definitely in the shadows, though.

5 hours to the SHOW!!!!

www.artechski.com has them for $203 and $225 NEW.

I don't see Blue Mountain listed as having NASTAR results. Where is this race?

Thanks, 'Dude...I'll forever be avenging his evil deeds. The Blue race dpt did a first rate job. You and 'Mom should make your way down some time. It sucks that the pacesetters got their HC's at Roundtop in a rainstorm. The girl that paceset has an official HC of 22, but she's more like a 14 at most. A lot of bronze and no medals for people at Blue this season.

You've got respect... and if you beat me saturday I will gladly and humbly admit to you being a better racer than me, jeff...

But up until saturday, I will continue the maelstrom of trash talking.

I'm going to smoke you so bad you're going to go back to using that pseudonym (sp?)

Thanks, 'Dude...I'll forever be avenging his evil deeds. The Blue race dpt did a first rate job. You and 'Mom should make your way down some time. It sucks that the pacesetters got their HC's at Roundtop in a rainstorm. The girl that paceset has an official HC of 22, but she's more like a 14 at most. A lot of bronze and no medals for people at Blue this season.

They had a plaque mounted on the wall of the NASTAR shack that said "3rd fastest team at Pacesetter Trails"....that 6 HC guy needs to come out :)

Uhh- who is who? And seriously, there is something wrong with that pace set, when two 11-12 year olds are as fast as the pacesetter. I'd like to think that I know something about this stuff and something does not look right comparitively to typical Nastar races.. No platinums?? hmmm

They got some ages wrong. Steph Kopko is a J2 (15 or 16). They listed her as 11-12 yr. old.

And Rob, you really don't know anything about how this works.

Here's the link to the pacesetter trails...Brad Sweeney had a 15! And my Montage guys have 10 points higher than last year.

http://www.nastar.com/index.jsp?pagename=r...43946&year=2006

It's a very inexact science, for sure.

So I went to the ski shop to get some coke-wax, but the closest thing they had was in a deodorant tube... I didn't think it would do the same job.

For the record, Saturday there is a case of Yuengling on the line. Should be a fun time.

Skidude- watch it toast. Give me a couple days and I'm going to show you why I gave you that nickname :nana