Doug vs. Jeff

Ski

First off, good turns beat speed suits and fluoro any day. Fluoro only lasts for the first few gates, so picture this: a bad skier being pushed out of the start; his poor technique will only be amplified.

Ski - I hugely disagree.. the same skier (RIDGE) in a speed suit shaves a second off his time consistently on a 20 second course. Waxes are tough and the differences are barely noticeable, but we have consistently proved that they do make a difference using Nastar as a proving ground last year and now already this year. Cheack out ridges first day results. you can clearly see the change in gear. The spread between 12 and 17 is about 1/2 a second on 20 second course, correct?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ski - I hugely disagree.. the same skier (RIDGE) in a speed suit shaves a second off his time consistently on a 20 second course. Waxes are tough and the differences are barely noticeable, but we have consistently proved that they do make a difference using Nastar as a proving ground last year and now already this year. Cheack out ridges first day results. you can clearly see the change in gear. The spread between 12 and 17 is about 1/2 a second on 20 second course, correct?

If your jacket is bulky and catches a lot of wind, then of course. But just drop your jacket and ski in a turtleneck, or whatever, and the time difference is minimal on a little course like BC.

My point is that getting hung up on fluoro and speed suits as opposed to line and turns is wrong.

Also, if I told a newbie racer that he/she would ski faster wearing a speed suit, then guess what? They'd ski faster. If I told the same newbie that a chicken suit would shave a second off their time, guess what? It would. There are so many more important things than speed suits and waxes.

Make sure your edges are tuned and your bases have a decent wax. Drop your jacket. Make good turns and keep a high line. That's my advice for NASTAR.

Let's make an honest man out of Atomic this year, and make him use his real name. You have to use your real name at ASRA, Atomic... everyone knows everyone. :rofl

Hey, yeah, let 'em go in speed suits too. I'm about a second faster when I strip. It makes a huge difference if you want to beat someone.

Used a fake name last year, incase I didn't do so well at NASTAR, then Skidude couldn't make fun of me :P I used my real name for ASRA last year, and will be for NASTAR this year.

As for the speed suit, I was hoping to have one for this weekend , but I will for the 1/22 at blue...

As for the speed suit, I was hoping to have one for this weekend , but I will for the 1/22 at blue...

Cool, do it! You won't regret it when you start running nastar at Blue regularly.. Ridge makes the first run like it was race day on training skis fully dressed, then at the end of the race session we experiment. It was very enlightening and continues to be. Have fun, go fast!!

Cool, do it! You won't regret it when you start running nastar at Blue regularly.. Ridge makes the first run like it was race day on training skis fully dressed, then at the end of the race session we experiment. It was very enlightening and continues to be. Have fun, go fast!!

So run the formula in reverse. Maybe the course gets faster, or he finds better lines. THAT would PROVE how much a difference the gear makes if no matter what he does better on the "race" equipment. Take out all variables but the equipment to find out the difference the equipment makes. Or at least minimize the other variables.

Rob, I'm not a freak, I wouldn't wear the suit for NASTAR :nana

Agreed, but all females are strongly encouraged to wear a speed suit for NASTAR.

And, yes, a race course changes constantly. First tracks are slow, then it peaks as the track slickens, then it gets slower as it ruts. Personally, I love an early course, despite it being relatively slow.

Alright Doug- Shake it off big guy. kill the nerves and lets see some speed. no need for flouro-coke, or a speed suit, or a chicken suit, or lucky socks, or music, or anything else... Visualize and attack... And whatever you do... please win. please, please, please... I don't want to hear anything else about how atomics are the best skis blah blah blah...

:nana

hehe. good luck to both of you. I want results by 10:30 :rock

So run the formula in reverse. Maybe the course gets faster, or he finds better lines. THAT would PROVE how much a difference the gear makes if no matter what he does better on the "race" equipment. Take out all variables but the equipment to find out the difference the equipment makes. Or at least minimize the other variables.

Thats what I have him do. We keep switching things up, keeping some things consistent while changing others. If I could add notes to each race result, it would be really cool. 2 hours on a Nastar course like at BC allow 10-12 runs. At some point all the stops are pulled and there is always a marked improvement.

Rob, I'm not a freak.

Yes you are! :nana

:banghead

If I lose to Jeff, I want to have a consolation match against Papasteeze... :rofl

Wheres the challenge in that? I suck! Several people mentioned after my Dew run at CB they thought I was going to "buy it" after my run. That course is as easy as it gets and I barely made it. It was UGLY! :lol:

Suck it up and get in a speed suit, Doug. It'll peal off about a second. You know Jeff will try to beat you using fluorowax.

Probably not a good idea mom, we will never hear the end of the whining about how he was beat because someone else was wearing a speedsuit and he wasn't. ;)

First off, good turns beat speed suits and fluoro any day. Fluoro only lasts for the first few gates, so picture this: a bad skier being pushed out of the start; his poor technique will only be amplified.

You guys want some? If you think it'll help, I'll have a film cannister for each racer, including Think. You just need to bring your own piece of cork to rub it in. So grab a bottle of Cold Duck and get drinkin'.

Under a pseudonym, Atomic Jeff ran a 12 at Bear Creek and a 16 handicap at Montage.

That put him the 7th fastest 17-21 yr old male in PA.

For NASTAR.

I think you misunderstood my point a little bit. I didn't say Jeff was going to win because he was using flouro, or wax, or whatever else... I was just saying that he is going to go all-out crazy against someone he knows will be hopping into gates for the first time with no special preparation.

Basically, I know Jeff is a good skier, and I don't have much doubt that he'll beat Doug. BUT, I hate giving Jeff positive comments about his skiing, because he gives himself so many already :). I guess I just want to see him humbled a little bit ;).

Yes, he is fast, but so are you, and we don't hear about your perfect gs arcs and pushing your "insert favorite brand here" to the limit every day and how you are the hottest stuff on the mountain. That's all... Got lots of love for Jeff, but I just know he has plenty for himself and doesn't need any more :)

I was pretty much just generalizing, Think, and offering fluoro to anyone that wants it.

It's just my own personal philosophy, but if you compete in any sport, it's up to you to come to the event with whatever gear you have that day and NEVER use gear as an excuse. It's much cooler to win as the underdog on gear that is inferior to someone else's.

Since Rob knows Bode so well, he can probably tell you that when Bode was a junior racer, he skied on K2 Four's, which were NOT considered race skis. He won Junior Olympics on them, coming from nowhere, then continued on them in early WC races. It made K2 Four's one of the most famous skis of all time.

6 hours to the SHOW!!!! :rock

You can often grab a used speed suit for $150 or so. They are hard to find in mid-season, though. A decent new suit is generally a little under $300. And you do want the slightly more expensive GS suit as opposed to the non-padded DH suit.

Try reliableracing.com first.

And I'll be there tonight racing...definitely in the shadows, though.

5 hours to the SHOW!!!!

Ha, no Doug, not a bunch of runs. I'm going to try and mimmick a race day for me...trying to get ready for the weekend races. Get back to my routine. I warm up slow, doing turn drills.

Do what you want, but I wouldn't suggest buying a speed suit for NASTAR. The 1 second savings is a speed suit vs. a coat. It's barely a couple of tenths if you have something on that's not bulky.