Nipples Freestyle Competition Training

Papasteeze

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i wouldnt doubt that he took it. the kid is 12. what does he need with it at this time? it was a gift certificate anyway. papasteeze isnt somebody who would spend it on himself. he is proud of what his kid does and wouldnt take thnigs away from him. thats a rediculous post.

I didn't know kids won cash prizes at these events.

they dont.. gift certificates and prizes

:lol: roller blades -

Thanks for your support however every time I read one of your posts I get a really weird visual. we have an option that you can change that if you are concerned about me seeing ski gear in body orifices.. <_<

hahah i thought it would be a funny name and it is

I think K2 was just kidding...spreading a rumor.

It was discussed a long time ago, but should probably be repeated: parents should call the athletic director at their local high school before allowing their kids to accept prizes, if they plan on having their kid play a high school varsity sport.

Certain prizes can actually make a kid ineligable for high school teams.

Not my rule, but I've seen it enforced in both PA and NJ.

Make him train, if he wants to win and has the desire. I believe if you make him train he will realize that he does want to win and will do what it takes to get him there. hes only twelve, let him get a little sense in him then he will be going off

like trevor said, he's twelve. he's got talent for sure, and he loves what he is doing right now. i was hanging out with him a bit at the bear comp the other night and he's a good kid. you dont want to burn him out. it kind of happened to me when i was his age. my parents had always taken my brother and i skiing every weekend, and after doing nothing but skiing the runs they wanted to, i got bored with it and didnt go as often. a few years later, my parents let me decide what kind of skis i wanted to get, and that changed everything. i went skiing every chance i could, and thats how it is to this day. i'm not saying my parents are bad parents or anything, because they arent; they just wanted to share something they love (skiing) with me, but gave me a little too large of a serving. its not exactly the same situation as you have with steven, but the concept is the same. if you are making him do something he doesnt want to, he'll get burnt out. it happens all the time with school sports; when kids get to middle school and practice happens every day, kids get sick of it. they don't want to practice, they just want to play. it seems like thats whats going on with steven; he doesnt want to practice, just play.

i know a lot of freeskiers come from a racing background, but if you look at the best of the best, they all come from freestyle backgrounds. tanner hall might be a wanna be gangster, but the kid can rip a bump line like few others can. same thing with jp, jf, vinnie, mike d, and all the other guys who started throwing down in the park and have now progressed to the backcountry. to me, it seems a lot harder to ski a bump line clean than make a few turns between some bamboo poles. if you want steven in a regimined training program on snow, i'd say bumps would be the way to go. unfortunately, there are no bump programs around here. as for the slalom portion of the nextsnow thing, just get him on a pair of skis that actually have edges and i'm sure he'll hold his own. he's got natural talent that not many of us had at that age.

like trevor said, he's twelve. he's got talent for sure, and he loves what he is doing right now. i was hanging out with him a bit at the bear comp the other night and he's a good kid. you dont want to burn him out. it kind of happened to me when i was his age. my parents had always taken my brother and i skiing every weekend, and after doing nothing but skiing the runs they wanted to, i got bored with it and didnt go as often. a few years later, my parents let me decide what kind of skis i wanted to get, and that changed everything. i went skiing every chance i could, and thats how it is to this day. i'm not saying my parents are bad parents or anything, because they arent; they just wanted to share something they love (skiing) with me, but gave me a little too large of a serving. its not exactly the same situation as you have with steven, but the concept is the same. if you are making him do something he doesnt want to, he'll get burnt out. it happens all the time with school sports; when kids get to middle school and practice happens every day, kids get sick of it. they don't want to practice, they just want to play. it seems like thats whats going on with steven; he doesnt want to practice, just play.

i know a lot of freeskiers come from a racing background, but if you look at the best of the best, they all come from freestyle backgrounds. tanner hall might be a wanna be gangster, but the kid can rip a bump line like few others can. same thing with jp, jf, vinnie, mike d, and all the other guys who started throwing down in the park and have now progressed to the backcountry. to me, it seems a lot harder to ski a bump line clean than make a few turns between some bamboo poles. if you want steven in a regimined training program on snow, i'd say bumps would be the way to go. unfortunately, there are no bump programs around here. as for the slalom portion of the nextsnow thing, just get him on a pair of skis that actually have edges and i'm sure he'll hold his own. he's got natural talent that not many of us had at that age.

Very well said.

Well said Justo and very well understood. Thank you for taking the time to write the lengthy reply on topic, it shows the passion for the sport that most of us have. I appreciate that. Get that raise! :)

The Nextsnow competition was outa reach for him last year. He should have qualified last year for the finals. It is a judged event, he was an unknown last year, he placed 2nd at 3 events of 4 last year. The fourth one they didnt do places. The Roundtop Kid who won last year couldn't go, did they call us? noooo... they sent some kid who finished nearly next to last place. The winners last year were all season pass holders.

So he goes to summer camp, meets some of the kids who went to the Nextsnow finals and finds out that they were cut on the first day of slalom and moguls qualification. He knows that racing skills is what he needs to stand out in the competition. He told me what he needed to do. I provided the resources. He thinks he has the skills now. So we all enter a fun race. Ridge beats me (he is 11) but I beat Steven by a full 2 seconds. I say.. "you are not there yet".... Train 1/2 days with the CB team when we are at CB. (no training last weekend and only 1/2 day this coming weekend)

Matter of fact, at whitetail 2 weeks ago, only the winner was to go to Killington. well guess what? It turns out that they are sending the second place kid too, announced after they had said that Steven won.

I am very well aware of burnout - it was my biggest concern this year with Ridge and entering him into the USSA program after his wild successful ride in the Nastar program last year. Steven on the other hand, I wasn't worried about. He has fun on most days with the race team, but there is somewhere else he would rather be. I still think that he said to his friend "that he was being punished" because he has so much fun in just the park and wanted me to look like the bad guy. He didn't dare tell his friend that he wanted to go to race team, it's just not cool. I am ok with that, I am not ok with it being repeated by grown adults on this board. The CB coaches know why he is on the CAT team. Besides he is the first official Freestyler on that team with a USSA freestyle number and all. It could be the future for CB. I'm working on supporting that and a Snowboard team, you heard it here first.

So you know, don't be surprised if you see him on a Snowboard in the coming 6 weeks - Showing that you can do both is a huge asset in that competition. After the first week of March all of this will be over. I keep telling him and I that, for reassurance when there seems to be too much pressure. BTW he is not happy the showdown event got rescheduled again. See you soon!

speaking of the showdown event, anyone know when they rescheduled the pipe comp? i'm actually getting a decent run down now, so i might be able to hold my own in the pipe for once... or not. but its tons of fun anyway! we all know rubino's gonna take it with his monster alley oop 5's anyway.

...and give him a swift kick to the chest to knock the wind out of him and then it wont be so loud.

I used to get the belt.

LOL! thanks for the advice xnick - He roller blades when he isn't on the computer in his basement, he has a cool little jib park built, and.... already does a private tramp class on mondays focusing on strengthening and stretching - Thursdays are the double mini's . the big one with the belt and then the foam pits :woot It freaks his coach out with him corking and underflipping so I had to give her several DVD's to get her "buy in" - We have a tramp at home and will tape up ski edges accordingly.

Is this tramp class local? Is it Ski related or just gymnastics like?

hahah i thought it would be a funny name and it is

No nate, I thought it would be a funny name. You didn't like it, but I convinced you. :nana

About this whole thing, if I were in his shoes, and i'm not: I'd just go compete for the fun of it, but that's just my take on it.

Is this tramp class local? Is it Ski related or just gymnastics like?

About this whole thing, if I were in his shoes, and i'm not: I'd just go compete for the fun of it, but that's just my take on it.

Local Class in Kennett Square PA - Mondays are private and are coached with skiing in mind, Thursdays are the typical gymnastic trampoline class. He is at Level 6

It's a long thread so some of the finer points got missed. Generally he enjoys being with the race team - he just doesn't want anybody to know that. Sorry Steve. Competitions? he loves them!

speaking of the showdown event, anyone know when they rescheduled the pipe comp?

I don't know and it is not looking good for the USASA comp either. :( nipples gets 5's in the pipe, however I doubt he gets the amplitude to compare.

• 1 month later...

speaking of the showdown event, anyone know when they rescheduled the pipe comp? i'm actually getting a decent run down now, so i might be able to hold my own in the pipe for once... or not. but its tons of fun anyway! we all know rubino's gonna take it with his monster alley oop 5's anyway.

:banghead It's this coming Thursday night in the rain Justo..

http://www.nextxsnow.com/killington_finals.htm

Well..... I revived this thread because we leave for his big comp in Killy in a few hours.. I should start a new one but I would like to keep this thread alive sort of like a blog of some trials and tribulations. Send him some well wishes, I'll check in and report as we have time/computer.

Nipples and Billy Keil who qualified at Shawnee and calls Big Boulder home made it past the first day!! Wooo hoooo out of 150 kids they are now in the 50 finalists..

Pennsylvania hasn't had kids make it this far to date. That says alot for the progression of our parks.!!

congrats!...........just out of instret how are the western groms doing up their?

THey are doing well. 3 from Vail, 1 Breck, 2 Park City, 3 Whistler several from California were also repped tonight. I think there was a wide diversity of kids from across the US, no one place in particular stood out. I heard of kids from Ohio Michigan Wisconsin NH Vermont and Maine.

The mountain Creek kid didn't make the cut :nana

Nipples and Billy Keil who qualified at Shawnee and calls Big Boulder home made it past the first day!! Wooo hoooo out of 150 kids they are now in the 50 finalists..

Pennsylvania hasn't had kids make it this far to date. That says alot for the progression of our parks.!!

video or stfu!!! :nana:nana:rock

video or stfu!!! :nana:nana:rock

I got video, but notthe cables or the software to post on this computer. Tonight Is the big air and fire where the kids jump through flamethrowers. There is 6 inches of posder and it is still dumping. hopefully the winds will settle down.

Billy Keil from Big Boulder won the snowboarding slopestyle!!

Oh shit, son! That's huge, dude. Good to hear that PA has people who are going to making huge waves in the future.

I definately wanna see that video when you guys get back!

Oh, and regarding the training situation... tell Nipples to "Man-up" and quit his freakin whining. He's still pretty young, yea? Who pays the bills around your house? He will do what you tell him to do, or you can MAKE him do it. Maybe YOU need to "Man-up".

What's more important to YOU at this point, is what's important. Parents make decisions on their kids' futures until those kids are old enough to decide. Simply explain to him that REAL skiers can ski any terrain, anywhere, anytime. And then, kindly explain to him that if he doesn't do what you say--you'll end his freakin life. We're talking about like thousands of dollars being spent on a kid that obviously doesn't wanna do what it takes to be the BEST SKIER that he can be. Consider for a moment how you were when you were his age... natural talent isn't shit without the desire to do whatever it takes.

I used to play soccer, run track, run cross country and wrestle ALL summer, just to stay in shape for High school wrestling. So take it from me when I tell you, skiing some bumps or gates... screw that crap. That's like vacation for me. Dude, if all I had to do to be a better wrestler and have enough stamina year round to be national champion(which I've been 8 times in my life, btw.) is to ski some gates... pfft.

he bounces on a trampoline? poor baby... someone get him a tissue.

BTW, I didn't just win 8 national titles in Folkstyle wrestling... I also won 6 in freestyle and 2 in Greco-Roman... 3 completely different(and by different, I mean as different as freestyle skiing and super g) disciplines of the sport.

Don't forget 2 Jr Olympic Gold Medals, in Freestlye and Greco-Roman.

He's having trouble with an extra few hours a week?

I think he's got too many people telling him what hot shit he is. He's not an olympic medalist. He's not shit. He's a local kid who has some natural talent. More importantly, he's a local kid with talent--who can't find the drive to dedicate himself completely. I know I took ballet for 4 years. Can you imagine how much shit I caught for that, being in High school and in ballet?

Talent isn't shit if it's wasted... well, except for an anchor... an anchor that SINKS you when you are 40 years old, and you wish that you would have used it. I blew my knee out and my ride was over... but I don't regret a second of practice, or playing sports that I HATED(freakin soccer? what is this, Argentina?) so that I could excel in the one I loved.

To be the best at what you do, you have to train harder than the other guy. You have to want it more. You have to imagine whatever your opponent is doing to train, and you have to make that guy look like a CHUMP. You have to make him look LAAAAAAAAAAAZY. Fortunately for Nipples' competition, he's not making it too tough for them to make him look lazy. Hell, I can sympathize with him though. I hated wearing pink tights... but hearing the national anthem after winning in my preferred style--it's unbelievable man. I tell you what, though... after I won that medal, I ran 5 miles! Sorry for the monologue bud, but tell that kid to try a sport that involves cutting 3 pounds in 25 minutes, bare naked weight... did I mention that weigh-ins for nationals were at 4am?

Dude doesn't wanna ski some gates/bumps/etc...?

Nipples sounds like the next Bode Miller. America will be real proud of his DNF's and low scores, because he didn't quite nail that twist. Damn, if he'd have ONLY put in those few extra hours a week... he MIGHT have been somebody. But hey, what the hell do I know about practice?

Sorry for writing a book, P. Diddy... but he needs to get his ass in gear! The next Olympics is 4 years away.