The Anti-Bode

Ski

Austrian Benjamin Raich, AKA The Anti-Bode, clinched this year's Overal World Cup Title during this weekend's races in Shigakogen, Japan.

Olympic Combined gold medalist American Ted Ligety won one of last weekend's GS in Yong Pyong, South Korea and had two top 10's in this weekend's slalom races in Japan, moving into 9th place on the World Cup Tour overall standings.

Bode, btw, didn't bother to make the trip to South Korea or Japan.

Edited by ski999

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ligety has really improved his performance during the season this year. If he keeps this up, he'll be a real contender in the future.

I saw ligety for the first time earlier this season racing slalom at chamonix. He instantly became my favorite skiier to watch. Seems like a pretty decent guy too...

Ligety has really improved his performance during the season this year. If he keeps this up, he'll be a real contender in the future.

He's ranked 4th in the world in slalom and has shown he can win in GS. Once he gets comfortable with speed events, he'll give Raich a run for the Overall Title.

The fastest way to fame and fortune is in downhill events, but being the Overall winner is most everyone's goal. And starting out in technical events and moving to speed events is much easier than a speed skier trying to broaden into tech skiing. To us Americans, it's the same as when a second baseman bulks up and moves to an outfield position, wherin it's rare that an outfielder becomes an infielder (except for 1st basemen, where the broken down sluggers often end up).

Ligety can be a trip. He use to do a 'worm turn' in the finish area, where he'd turn so radically that his body was on the snow, yet his edges were still spinning him around. I guess you have to see it...

bode kinda gave up this season :(

And I just don't get it. Following the Olympics---which don't count toward the World Cup Title---, Bode was actually in a three-way tie for third place in the overall (with Maier and Rahlves). His early season wins still had him within striking distance of Raich, with four races in Asia, then the Finals...so there was lots of time to still win the title. But Bode just quit.

Well, he was probably totally fed up with being analyzed by anyone who picked up a newspaper and decided they should have an opinion. If I were him, I'd go into a Buddhist monastery (nunnery?) myself after the last few months.

By the way, Siblet's team mate here has a pair of Ligety's skis, with his name on them where he labeled them as his. I'll have to find out for which event they are, probably a speed event I'm guessing as one season Siblet used old skis from Libbly Ludlow for her SG.

Well, he was probably totally fed up with being analyzed by anyone who picked up a newspaper and decided they should have an opinion. If I were him, I'd go into a Buddhist monastery (nunnery?) myself after the last few months

I can't blame him for taking time off. It's become clear that he's got some personal issues in his life that he needs to work on (hello alcohol). Factor those with the intense spotlight (which had gone from the Olympic golden boy to the Olympic dissapointment) that has been on him for the last few months and you've got a recipe for a serious breakdown. Hopefully he can get his act together and return as a contender.

Well, he was probably totally fed up with being analyzed by anyone who picked up a newspaper and decided they should have an opinion. If I were him, I'd go into a Buddhist monastery (nunnery?) myself after the last few months.

And if he were you, he'd wait until his job was done.

Man, I wasn't all that convinced he truly had a drinking problem until his dad said Bode had "alcohol issues". And he said it while sitting in the stands at the Olympics, just after Bode DNF'd. Then, while still wearing his skis, Bode said he'd had a fun time and wasn't disappointed and had been partying it up pretty good at night.

Man, I wasn't all that convinced he truly had a drinking problem until his dad said Bode had "alcohol issues".

I don't know if he really suffers from traditional "need to drink every day of my life" problems as much as he just hasn't realized when the appropriate time is to party. It's a little sad to watch someone with so much potential seemingly throw it away so he can have 3 hours of fun in a bar.

I don't know if he really suffers from traditional "need to drink every day of my life" problems as much as he just hasn't realized when the appropriate time is to party. It's a little sad to watch someone with so much potential seemingly throw it away so he can have 3 hours of fun in a bar.

Nor do I and maybe his dad was overstating it...but it was an awfully odd and probably inappropriate comment to tell the press while Bode was still on the hill. It just made you feel there's a big problem. Sort of like if you have a car accident and when the cop comes up to your wreckage you say, "I've been having some alcohol issues."

think about how old he is, though.

rich/famous/etc people tend to have money to play with, and people who work hard to have money tend to play the hardest.

I drink and ski or drink and ride all the time. Just because he said he was partying and staying up late doesn't mean anything. if he'd have done WELL at the Olympics(shame I'm saying that, 5th in the world is still amazing) it wouldn't have been as big of a story as Bode blowing it.

Who won the Gold medal in Womens snowboard cross?

I bet everyone knows who DIDN'T win the medal. If Bode would have won, it wouldn't even have made the front page. The guy had a bad week. He's got a weird attitude(meaning he doesn't think like you do)... so people have a problem with him. Those people are SUPPOSED to be over there partying, having fun and racing. I don't understand why it can't just be on ESPN, and sportscenter... why does it have to be frontpage news that Bode scratches his balls, or that Shaun White got a nosebleed prior to his run, due to dry air and altitude?

I bet everyone knows who DIDN'T win the medal. If Bode would have won, it wouldn't even have made the front page. The guy had a bad week. He's got a weird attitude(meaning he doesn't think like you do)... so people have a problem with him. Those people are SUPPOSED to be over there partying, having fun and racing. I don't understand why it can't just be on ESPN, and sportscenter... why does it have to be frontpage news that Bode scratches his balls, or that Shaun White got a nosebleed prior to his run, due to dry air and altitude?

If you made the US Olympic Team, you'd be out drinking shots the night before your event? You really think that's what athletes are SUPPOSED to do?

Bode disappointed his fans, his girfriend, his mother, his father, his friends, his sponsors, and yet he said he feels like it was a "great time". Maybe Bode is just too cool for me to understand. I readily admit that.

And if you think it was just a "bad week", then you haven't paid attention to the last couple of months as Bode fell in 11 out of 13 slalom races.

Maybe calling your teammates "stupid" for following FIS drug testing policies and saying Lance Armstrong is a cheater is also cool...but IDK, I just think Bode's been a jackass. I actually miss rooting for him, but I think someone's personality counts.

Yeah, I can definitely see how Bode would think Lance Armstrong is a cheater.

Aparently having true desire to excel is a competitive edge that Bode no longer understands.

Lance is a man of action... You know, like when he'd won the Tour de France more than anyone in history and decided to retire... and then the world started calling him a cheater... yeah, you done went and pissed off Lance Armstrong. I sincerely hope the man wins the Tour 10 times before he's done.

I think Bode needs to get maybe just a little tiny bit pissed off at the world and put some of that emotion that he used to be famous for back into his skiing.

But for one, I'm pissed off at Bode. I'd give a kidney in a heartbeat to get the opportunity to ski in the olympics. If he's not going to go out and chase down the dream send someone who will.

I think Bode needs to get maybe just a little tiny bit pissed off at the world and put some of that emotion that he used to be famous for back into his skiing.

But for one, I'm pissed off at Bode. I'd give a kidney in a heartbeat to get the opportunity to ski in the olympics. If he's not going to go out and chase down the dream send someone who will.

Leave the guy alone.. He is doing what he wants to do, period.. He has been there done that. He is an awesome skier and always will be... To me, nothing else matters and for the kids, they should look to him as a role model, kids should be who they want to be, regardless of opinion.

Edited by Papasteeze

We can't be pissed at Bode if he doesn't devote his life to the Olympics. Maybe that isn't what he wants for himself. Maybe he is a ski bum and his goal in life is just to ski everyday and enjoy life. Maybe winning doesn't matter to him. Leave him alone, that is what I say. He is a better skier without even trying than most of us can ever hope to be.

Leave the guy alone.. He is doing what he wants to do, period.. He has been there done that. He is an awesome skier and always will be... To me, nothing else matters and for the kids, they should look to him as a role model, kids should be who they want to be, regardless of opinion.

Maybe Bode should have left Lance alone. Maybe Bode should have left Schlopy and his other team members alone. Maybe Bode will learn to shut his fat mouth. Maybe he'll learn to put down the shot glasses.

Great roll model. Disrepect coaches and your teammates. Great f**king message for kids. Do what you want, drink all night, party it up, then FALL ON YOUR ASS in front of family that's travelled thousands of miles to cheer for you.

Bode has roughly the same value as a roll model as Paris Hilton.

Roll models are people that beat cancer and go on to win championships and use their fame to raise money for research. Role models aren't the people that get hungover for championships, then spread lies about people that have overcome great odds to succeed.

We can't be pissed at Bode if he doesn't devote his life to the Olympics. Maybe that isn't what he wants for himself. Maybe he is a ski bum and his goal in life is just to ski everyday and enjoy life. Maybe winning doesn't matter to him. Leave him alone, that is what I say. He is a better skier without even trying than most of us can ever hope to be.

Not directed toward you, Sex'. I agree with you, in a way. As long as Bode isn't taking someone else's spot, nor taking US Ski Team money to live his experiment, then I don't care. It's when Bode attacks teammates and Lance that I think Bode crosses a line. Bode is an amazing skier when he's focused...it's just really sad that his priorities seem to be to party instead of finding out how good he could be. He'll never get these peak years back and I bet he'll someday ask himself how great he could have been.

Roll models are people that beat cancer and go on to win championships and use their fame to raise money for research. Role models aren't the people that get hungover for championships, then spread lies about people that have overcome great odds to succeed.

First of all, for being such a screw up--he's still in 3rd in the World Cup Standings... how are you doing this season for the world cup standings?

OH MY GOD, you mean that you aren't WINNING EVERY RACE??? ALCOHOLIC!!! POOR ROLE MODEL!!!

Get off the guys ass.

Bode Miller is a badass, and only a badass speeds up, when the rest of us are slowing down.

And FYI, they tested some of Lance Armstrongs urine from 3 Tours ago--it tested positive for a substance that is currently illegal, but wasn't the season before... so technically, he was doping--though legally. He's a cheater.

As long as Bode isn't taking someone else's spot, nor taking US Ski Team money to live his experiment, then I don't care.

I see your point, but if he is better than everyone else (whether he is doing his best or not) he should get the spot. Look at it this way we all know his name and he didn't even win. Good or bad, any press that brings attention to the sport can only benefit the US Ski team. I'll shut up now.

same disrespect that a coach gave him at his first junior olympics - you reap what you sow.

"You reap what you sow" because Bode felt he was disrespected once as a kid? So abusing his body and becoming a laughing stock is somehow getting even with an old coach?

You know, some people that haven't followed this might think Bode bashers are just doing it because Bode isn't winning. But I thought Bode was a dipsh*t last year when he was getting drunk on camera before races. Most of the people I know love an athlete that simply gives it their all...it's often more inspiring to watch an athlete being defeated while trying to go beyond any of their known limits.

Some people have enormous respect for the woman that crawled across the finish at an early Ironman Triathalon.

Some people think it's inspiring to watch Bode doing Jello shots.

Edited by ski999

when i was in Europe last week i drove past a place that had 3 indoor slopes that were about 400 feet long with 250 vert. you could always go there.

camelback.jpg

Jello will not come out of the camelback without some serious sucking. OK, that sounds incredibly bad. You guys know what I mean though.

Most of the people I know love an athlete that simply gives it their all

Ahhh.. the proverbial nail. -- living in a much more expanded world allows me to have tolerance and acceptance. Live and let live. Bode rocks! He has my utmost respect for what he has been able to achieve. No matter what happens now, nothing will take those achievements away.