The Anti-Bode

Ski

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another article on Bode -- He's found a new goal!

http://www.skiracing.com/news/news_display.php/3669/ALPINE

Firstly, thanks for the link, Sib...

Whether it's a stated goal, or the way Bode has put it, "a goal I would write down", when was it not the idea to win every time you push through the start wand? Has the idea been to finish 8th? Bode's in some serious damage control. Funny that it's newsworthy to mention Bode's going to try and start winning.

Firstly, thanks for the link, Sib...

Whether it's a stated goal, or the way Bode has put it, "a goal I would write down", when was it not the idea to win every time you push through the start wand? Has the idea been to finish 8th? Bode's in some serious damage control. Funny that it's newsworthy to mention Bode's going to try and start winning.

I think that it clearly said he would start focusing on CERTAIN races... meaning just downhill... or just GS... etc...

like specializing. besides, he DID say he was getting burnt out... he's like 28 and is tired of doing the same ole thing... I could see how that would happen.

No, he said his goal was to win all five globes.

?It?s a challenging goal,? Miller told Ski Racing on Tuesday. ?No one has ever won all five globes before ? all the event globes and the overall. I think I have the ability to do it, and I have the years left in my career to do it.?

Hope that clears things up.

253 days is a really long time to wait.... hold on... let me put that in my calendar....

oh, sorry, right, back to the thread... :devil:

You know what? Bode does have an immense amount of talent. He does in fact have the ability to win all 5 globes. There's someone else thats going to be a major player though. Ted Ligety has now shown that he can compete in speed events after his showing in the combined. He's also a dominant force in the technical events. Right now he's probably the best US slalom skier. Combine that with the fact that he's 7 years younger than Bode... and well you get the picture. I'd really, really like to see Bode come back and start skiing with the desire that he used to possess. If not for his fans, sponsors, his country, and his time, then for himself. Please, please, please let us "Join Bode" somewhere other than face down on a bar room table. As much as I want to see Bode back in top form chasing down this new goal, I'm sour on Bode. He's got a lot to prove to me before I'll call myself a fan again. Because of this I say GO TED!!!!

253 days is a really long time to wait.... hold on... let me put that in my calendar....

He's got a lot to prove to me before I'll call myself a fan again. Because of this I say GO TED!!!!

He has nothing to prove to anyone but himself. That's what he's saying, thats what I'm saying... the day that you realize that your opinion means less than nothing to Bode Miller is the day this thread dies. He doesn't care to prove anything to you. He said he'd need to be in better shape, as well--noone seems to read the text of what he says... they want to pick and choose quotes.

And 18 isn't the age of consent in PA, it's 16.

You mean Bode's not reading this thread!?!?!?!?...damn - Anyway a strong finish.. http://www.usskiteam.com/public/news.php?dId=2&sN=1&aId=2115

haha - it NOW really appears to me that Bode really didn't want to do the olympics, that he did them under duress and now he is doing what he wants to do. Go USST!

Miller-Rahlves Dance Their Dance Six Times

ARE, Sweden (March 16) - For the improbable sixth time in 15 and a half months, Bode Miller (Bretton Woods, NH) and Daron Rahlves (Sugar Bowl, CA), two of the most successful ski racers in World Cup - not just American - annals, have finished first and second, or tied for first, in a major race.

It started at the VISA Birds of Prey downhill in Beaver Creek at the start of the 2005 season. Miller, who had just won his first World Cup downhill a week earlier at Lake Louise in the Canadian Rockies, held off Rahlves to win his second DH. Two months later at the 2005 World Championships in Bormio, Italy, Miller started third and proved untouchable in downhill - with Rahlves, running 21st, capturing the silver medal.

At World Cup Finals in Lenzerheide, Switzerland, a year ago, Rahlves skied 22nd in the super G and posted the fastest time. Miller - by now the first World Cup overall champion from the United States in 22 years, since Phil Mahre in 1983 - came down two racers later...and deadlocked Rahlves.

Earlier this season, they danced their two-step once more, again at the VISA Birds of Prey races...and they did it twice in 24 hours! Rahlves won the downhill with Miller second and the next day Miller survived near-spills in his second run to win the giant slalom with Rahlves second. Until Thursday, it was Miller?s lone victory of the 2006 season. He has 21 World Cup victories, Rahlves -the most decorated U.S. DH/SG racer - has 12 wins, nine in downhill, three in super G.

A recap:

Dec. 3, 2004 at Beaver Creek, Colo. - World Cup Downhill

1. Miller; 2. Rahlves (+.16)

Feb. 5, 2005 at Bormio, ITA - World Championships DH

1. Miller; 2. Rahlves (+.44)

March 11, 2005 at Lenzerheide, SUI - World Cup Finals Super G

1. (tie) Miller and Rahlves (-0-)

Dec. 2, 2005 at Beaver Creek, Colo. - World Cup DH

1. Rahlves; 2. Miller (+.27)

Dec. 3, 2005 at Beaver Creek, Colo. - World Cup GS

1. Miller; 2. Rahlves (+.49)

March 16, 2006 at Are, SWE - World Cup Finals SG

1. Miller; 2. Rahlves (+.34)

No, he said his goal was to win all five globes.

?It?s a challenging goal,? Miller told Ski Racing on Tuesday. ?No one has ever won all five globes before ? all the event globes and the overall. I think I have the ability to do it, and I have the years left in my career to do it.?

Hope that clears things up.

The way I read it, he already owns three of the five and he just needs to get two more. To be clearer, he didn't say he wanted to win them all in the same year.

Edited by sibhusky

And 18 isn't the age of consent in PA, it's 16.

The age of consent is 16 but between the ages of 16 & 18 sex is considered statuatory rape if other person is more than 4 years older than the minor. The only exception is if the people are married. Eeeewww. Not to get serious, but you have to be careful now a days. Ok, back to Bode bashing.

Rahlves clinched 3rd place in the SG overall standings, to go along with his 3rd place in the DH overall title. Very disappointing for him, but still a great achievement in what he's saying will be his last season.

Bode has a chance to pass Svindal and jump to 2nd in Overall standings.

This could esily have been his 4th straight Overall Title, which would have put him in the history books as one of the greatest skiers of all time. I hope that golf game brought him equal satisfaction.

Rahlves clinched 3rd place in the SG overall standings, to go along with his 3rd place in the DH overall title. Very disappointing for him, but still a great achievement in what he's saying will be his last season.

Bode has a chance to pass Svindal and jump to 2nd in Overall standings.

This could esily have been his 4th straight Overall Title, which would have put him in the history books as one of the greatest skiers of all time. I hope that golf game brought him equal satisfaction.

'999 do you play golf?

I bet he wasn't even thinking about skiing. Dude has a bad knee, he took a vacation... where were you when the President spent 4 months of his first year in office on vacation?

'999 do you play golf?

I bet he wasn't even thinking about skiing. Dude has a bad knee, he took a vacation... where were you when the President spent 4 months of his first year in office on vacation?

Every 2nd or 3rd racer has a bad knee. I guess hes the only one that goes out for a month after a few bad races...

Uhh and don't even get me started on bush

'999 do you play golf?

I bet he wasn't even thinking about skiing. Dude has a bad knee, he took a vacation...

Excuses, excuses, excuses. He took a vacation from the Olympics to party. Did you see any of the pics of him on the dance floor? Not too bad to dance, but I guess the alcohol was killing the pain.

Look, this was a thread called "The Anti-Bode". I suspect you don't know what that means, so I'll explain: out of RESPECT for the talents of Bode Miller, the Austrian Ski Federation instituted a new program at the end of last season to study his style and come up with ways to retake the Overall Globe. For the first time ever, Austrian racers went into different catagories and crossed trained out of their normal discipline.

The program pushed downhillers like Michael Walchhoffer to return to his old roots of slalom...in fact, Hermann Maier entered (but ultimitely pulled out of) several slaloms.

But it was always Benny Raich that the Austrians felt to be their "Anti-Bode".

A nation steeped in the deepest traditions of ski racing, where their national heros are skiers, made huge changes to figure out what Bode was doing differently.

Oh, and it was successful. They figured Bode out and Raich beat him. The Austrians were laughing as Bode was jumping over fences and running away from the press.

As Rob pointed out, American racing pioneers like Al Hobart also went to work on the Bode phenominon. Hobart, founder of the Green Mt. Valley School, is someone I consider a dear---although not close---friend.

I sat with Hobart for hours, going frame by frame through Bode's winning runs at BC this season. I've watched Bode tapes from the time he skied on his K2 Fours, Assassin. I didn't pick up a book or just see him on the Olympics and make an opinion.

You've seen Bode for what? Six runs? You couldn't give a crap about ski racing history, or even what's happened over the past 10 years.

You like Bode for his personality. Fine. But if you knew the history of racing, you'd know there were more crazy, outlandish characters than Bode. Bode a badass? Ha, he's not even on the same level as 20 racers that won more races than him.

You just bought the TV hype.

My opinion of Bode is that he's an amazing talent. I've said that for years. But it's sad that it took hate mail for Bode to realize that everyone doesn't love a wise-ass. Bode doesn't want to be hated, yet he attacks his teammates and he attacks one of the most popular American heros.

But I thought I should clear up this thread title for anyone, like you, who didn't know what it meant.

A question, Assassin: say you had a kid that had a signing offer to play QB for the Broncos. Say he'd spent every moment since he was in Pop Warner dreaming of going over center at Mile High. But with his agent on the phone, you hear him say he was headed to Florida instead, for a few rounds of golf and some body shots with a new girl he'd just met.

Now, tell me you'd slip him a few hundred bucks and tell him to wear sunscreen.

Are you tired of this, yet? How about we agree to disagree. You can love Bode, while I can be disappointed in him.

I don't love Bode, I just think it's a bit unfair for you to be all up in his personal life. If he has a drinking problem, that's between him and God.

If you don't like him being in the spotlight, then make it to the top and take the spotlight away. That's what I'm saying.

This can be the end of it. I neither care about, nor want to hear about your opinion of Bode Miller anymore. I already know what it is, and it's pretty lame for someone to sit around and trash a guy that is better than anyone on this Planet at something...

next we'll be arguing over whether or not Bobby Fischer was right to have played chess in a communist USSR--when in reality, it doesn't matter what either of us think.

and it's pretty lame for someone to sit around and trash a guy that is better than anyone on this Planet at something...

Benjamin Raich is the best on the planet.

I've taught skiing for years and have been a volunteer coach in three different sports to help make kids better at sports. I'm not the one on his ass bitching about unfairness to poor little rich guys.

Now about those first descents in Alaska by some newbie skier from PA....8*)

Benjamin Raich is the best on the planet.

I've taught skiing for years and have been a volunteer coach in three different sports to help make kids better at sports. I'm not the one on his ass bitching about unfairness to poor little rich guys.

Now about those first descents in Alaska by some newbie skier from PA....8*)

I'm a newbie rider, and not from PA.

I've been skiing since I was a wee lad. Now how about stepping back... no further... no further... nope, still on my ****

might just wanna step WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY back.

Hell no! Lets keep this one alive! It was just getting good. Only problem is I really, REALLY want to see this one get settled on the slopes. Only problem is that if we found somewhere to run gates Assassin has a lot of people to go through to get to '999. Frankly, I'll jump up anytime I get the chance to race an ignorant individual. But I mean, hey, we could just let ya take some ski lessons from '999.

And about first descents, you go to alaska and do them... I'm still worried about getting the first descent on... oh, wait, sorry... family friendly board... :devil:

Edited by Metz the Jersey boy

I'm a newbie rider, and not from PA.

I've been skiing since I was a wee lad. Now how about stepping back... no further... no further... nope, still on my ****

might just wanna step WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY back.

Can you just stop posting for a little while? I believe I've had my fill of ego for the next few years.