Public Enemy

kragan

I can get a pair of new unmounted K2 public enemy 174 for $250.00. I have not skied this ski before, nor anything like it. I have an older pair of salomon 720 twin tip, but they are nothing like this ski. I would use it more as an all mountain ski and maybe a little bit in the part. K2 describes it as mainly a park ski but I was wondering if anyone knew how it perfroms on the rest on the mountain?

Thanks for the help.

I can get a pair of new unmounted K2 public enemy 174 for $250.00. I have not skied this ski before, nor anything like it. I have an older pair of salomon 720 twin tip, but they are nothing like this ski. I would use it more as an all mountain ski and maybe a little bit in the part. K2 describes it as mainly a park ski but I was wondering if anyone knew how it perfroms on the rest on the mountain?

Thanks for the help.

Maybe some of the jib honks can help you out here, but the PE is pretty much a park ski...The best all mountain/any condition ski is the Atomic Metron, and Philpug can vouch for that one. You spend 90% of your time on trails, so get something that can arc...any ski will be able to hit jumps, but how often are you landing switch?

my skis (Foils) are an 85 waist and they ski great all-mountain... they don't so much anymore because the edges are about as sharp as a cue ball from hitting rails. But, they ski great in powder, slush, and even hardpack when they had edges. I dont know how they compare but i dont think that the width under your foot is going to have too much of an effect on how they ski.

Maybe some of the jib honks can help you out here, but the PE is pretty much a park ski...The best all mountain/any condition ski is the Atomic Metron, and Philpug can vouch for that one. You spend 90% of your time on trails, so get something that can arc...any ski will be able to hit jumps, but how often are you landing switch?

And I could get rob to say it was the Volkl Karmas, and uhh yeah...I'm thinkin a pair of 170 Karams would be about right for Tahoe in a week...Well Probably end up taking the SL boards out.

Anyway, get something 70ish mm waist and in a stiffness you want. Should be pretty good.

my skis (Foils) are an 85 waist and they ski great all-mountain... they don't so much anymore because the edges are about as sharp as a cue ball from hitting rails. But, they ski great in powder, slush, and even hardpack when they had edges. I dont know how they compare but i dont think that the width under your foot is going to have too much of an effect on how they ski.

Width has ALOT to do with how a ski skis on hardpack. Narrower, the better, to an extent. My GS:11s are 66mm's in the waist. When I get on my friends Rossi Scratch BC's on groomers at Alta, they're complete dogs, I always say to myself "get me off these things!". For the east, the max you'd want to go is 75mm, and honestly, if you're spending 90% of your time ripping turns, where it only snows 30 inches a year, you're better off getting a pair of race skis, as 90% of the days are hardpack/slick. Demo the Metrons...76mm wasit, 12m in a 172cm, which is insane. You've got a slalom turn radius, with the stiffness/stability of a GS ski, with enough surface area to float in powder (133/76/116mm)

i have to disagree. they are 85 in the waist and are good allmountain skis. the fujative, which i have, is 85 in the waist and are mainly park skis. the pe's are great allmountain skis. go search on newschoolers and you should find all you need.

p.s- to all you fat waist haters im geting line moships which at 90mm in the waist for next year

i have to disagree. they are 85 in the waist and are good allmountain skis. the fujative, which i have, is 85 in the waist and are mainly park skis. the pe's are great allmountain skis. go search on newschoolers and you should find all you need.

p.s- to all you fat waist haters im geting line moships which at 90mm in the waist for next year

Uhh have fun :unsure:

fujatives are confusing...i have them too, well, the 04/05s...but k2 is changing their line a bit. this coming year, the fujis are going to be a full blown park ski. my fujatives are more of an all-mountain (i think?) . i'm not sure about the 05/06 fujis...

also, k2 is debuing a new ski for the 06/07 season: the silencer

info on K2's line for next year: http://newschoolers.com/ns3/web/content/pa...gas2006&page=k2

more opinions on the PE/Fujative/Silencer discussion:http://www.newschoolers.com/ns3/web/forums...read_id=192813&

oh and i just looked on http://www.k2factoryteam.com/

and apparently the PE is both a park and an all mountain twin, while the fujative is a park/pipe ski

as for me, the fujative is my favorite ski so far..i love 'em..no problems..i had line mavericks and they delamed before the end of the season...if i tried to ski switch i would fall b/c the delamed part acted as a brake basically and my left ski would either go significantly slower than my right or would just stop completely haha it sucked.

Edited by megan.

i have the 06/07 fujatives i have only ridden them about 15 times this year so they still have a ton of pop in them. the PE is a allmountain twin they are stiff and great for the froomers. the silencer will be basicly a skiinier all out park ski with a stiffer flex than the fujis. i know the moships are gonna be sick next year. fatter is better.

p.s- ski dude i dont think there are twins with a 70mm waist and if there are they are rare. newschool goes fatter=better maybe we can meet up next year and you can tell me how you like the fat waist

you can still ski a wide ski on the east coast. my 4frnts are a 92 waist and they hold an edge just fine. they have a 25m turning radius, so they are by no means a quick turning ski, but for fast cruising or bombing challenge or razors, they're awesome. the PEs, if they are this years, are an 85 waist, which is a nice size for a go anywhere, do anything ski. i actually preferred this years to the older version, which had an 80mm waist. they're a fun ski that can handle anything you can throw at them, except for maybe a super icy slalom course. they may not be the best ski for you if you want to run a lot of nastar with them, but they'll work awesome for you in crud, fresh, or late season slush, as well as rip on the groomers too.

Width has ALOT to do with how a ski skis on hardpack. Narrower, the better, to an extent. My GS:11s are 66mm's in the waist. When I get on my friends Rossi Scratch BC's on groomers at Alta, they're complete dogs, I always say to myself "get me off these things!". For the east, the max you'd want to go is 75mm, and honestly, if you're spending 90% of your time ripping turns, where it only snows 30 inches a year, you're better off getting a pair of race skis, as 90% of the days are hardpack/slick. Demo the Metrons...76mm wasit, 12m in a 172cm, which is insane. You've got a slalom turn radius, with the stiffness/stability of a GS ski, with enough surface area to float in powder (133/76/116mm)

Thanks for all the replies and advice.

I demo'd the Metron's out west at Vail and did not like them too much. I actually prefered the Volkl's much better (sorry Jeff), which I demo'd my first 2 days out there. I do enjoy attempting to arc turns, and a 12 meter radius is nuts, but I just don't have the legs to make a thousand turns down the mountain, so I am thinking that an all mountain ski will be better. Twin tip are not just for landing switch, look at the K2 Sid Vicious ... twin wip but I don't think anyone is trying anything in the park with those beasts.

I was looking more at a pure carving ski until I ran across these K2's at the this great price and it got me thinking. I have a week to think about it, well hopefully if they are still there next weekend.

The same shop had a pair of Volkl 5-star 168, which is basically what I demo's out west, with bindings for less than $250, but they are a demo pair which probably got used and abused so I am going to stay away from those.

Thanks again for all the input

you can still ski a wide ski on the east coast. my 4frnts are a 92 waist and they hold an edge just fine. they have a 25m turning radius, so they are by no means a quick turning ski, but for fast cruising or bombing challenge or razors, they're awesome. the PEs, if they are this years, are an 85 waist, which is a nice size for a go anywhere, do anything ski. i actually preferred this years to the older version, which had an 80mm waist. they're a fun ski that can handle anything you can throw at them, except for maybe a super icy slalom course. they may not be the best ski for you if you want to run a lot of nastar with them, but they'll work awesome for you in crud, fresh, or late season slush, as well as rip on the groomers too.

"but they'll work awesome for you in crud, fresh, or late season slush, as well as rip on the groomers too."

Thats exactly what I was thinking ... hmm maybe I will stop bye tomorrow to check them out again

When going fast, there really isn't a ton of difference that the width underfoot makes. With the extra speed have more power to put the ski up on edge, which is why people are able to ski 92mm waists and bigger on groomers. I've tried a bunch of skis, and I still have a blast on my Big Troubles. However, when I couldn't see anything in heavy fog and had to do short sliding turns to get down the mountain, the wider skis definitely wear you out alot quicker because you have to muscle those skis up on edge when going slow, you cant easily roll them over like you can with a ski that has a narrower waist. You should be fine with a 85mm waist, and you'll definitely appreciate it if you are able to go up north or out west and are lucky enought to get some fresh.

I was just out west in early March during a warm spell and I definitely could have used a bigger ski for powering through all that slop and slush.

Yeah the PE is a great width for all types of snow. Like Atomic said its a bit on the wide side if you want a ski that is more of a dedicated on-piste ski, but if you can't afford a whole quiver of skis, then I think you'll be happy with what the PE lets you do both here and on your trips out west.

Ya dude the PE's are a great all mtn ski..There a little stiffer then Armada Ar5's but not as stiff as the Line Chronics...I would sell ur 720s and keep the PE's you will be amazed on how much of a better ski they are..and ther edges are so nice.

Yep me and u are going to start a 90+ waist club just so sean and everyone else wont be in it. :nana

those aren't fat. their the sir francis bacons and are 115 in the waist his prototypes this winter were 150mm in the waist

oh...sorry.

i dunno...i still think they're fat...they look really fun...esp. for skiing switch or powder (not that we have any...)

Edited by megan.

Metz - what is his new S/N or hasn't he been on in awhile? We both have Vokyl Karmas 88cm under foot. I tuned with 93 degree edge bevel and absolutely love them for all condtions. I bought them for a western pwoder ski but kept returning to them all season due to the superior all condition performance. Steamboat for example had ice in the morning and huge amounts of slush in the afternoon. They carve as well as they water ski when you change your technique. Park people have rated the ski too stiff for the park. you can get them at half price, about $350 which is steal in comparison with the way they perform for all mountain conditions to other twins IMO

I demo'd the Metron's out west at Vail and did not like them too much. I actually prefered the Volkl's much better I was looking more at a pure carving ski until I ran across these K2's at the this great price and it got me thinking.

I also demoed the Metrons for 10 runs at the beginning of January in both hardpack ice and slush in the afternoon. I was extremely disappointed with their promotion of that ski being all mountain. I had a 14m side cut.. BULLCRAP on that ski, fine for turny groomers, but they really sucked in the crud and flats, IMO the wide tip causes the ski to wander to much, that ski does not allow you to relax.

I think you will love the PE's if you decide on them. Thier tips are riveted to help prevent the dreaded delamination. Besides, I really like the fact that Pep puts his name behind the ski.

I also demoed the Metrons for 10 runs at the beginning of January in both hardpack ice and slush in the afternoon. I was extremely disappointed with their promotion of that ski being all mountain. I had a 14m side cut.. BULLCRAP on that ski, fine for turny groomers, but they really sucked in the crud and flats, IMO the wide tip causes the ski to wander to much, that ski does not allow you to relax.

That was my experience as well. No way could I see the Metron as an all mountain ski. I wandered off into some crud and slush and it was pretty horrible on those ski's. I wish out west I had something like the PE's, I am sure that it would have made for a much more enjoyable experience in the bowls at Vail.