Black Diamond Passes -poll-

Shadows

Black Diamond Passes  

34 members have voted

1. 1. should blue get Black Diamond Passes?

• Yes
    • No
    • Jello

I really don't think a black diamond pass would work at all. Way too hard to enforce (you would need someone at the top of all the diamonds) It would slow down and inconvenince the better skiers/riders by having to get their ticket checked. If the threat of serious energy isn't enough to keep people off trails they shouldn't be on a black diamond pass wouldn't do much good.

mmmmm jello.... :drool

One of the dumbest things i've heard. Yeah, the principle is good, but it kills the flow of the whole mt. No offense to anyone that wants them. If someone linked to a mountain that actually does this, i may consider changing over to jello, but i'm not promising anything. :lol

Stevo, couldn't the same be said about park passes?

Anyway, I think the intitial peak over the edge of Razors is enough to scare 99% of the nubs away (I love seeing them walk back to paradise)....But the other 1% I use as GS gates. I honestly dont think there is a need for black diamond passes, as long as everyone is skiing it, and not stopping in the middle. Though I do like what Greek Peak has done with school groups....Blue should implement that system. Sure, I'd love to see Razors edge be free of nubz, but there will always be idiots on Razors. :rofl I just wish people would recognize their ability before trying something way beyond their ability. They go down Main Street, which they find easy, and then they think they can fly down Challenge. Gotta love the power wedge.

Stevo, couldn't the same be said about park passes?

Anyway, I think the intitial peak over the edge of Razors is enough to scare 99% of the nubs away (I love seeing them walk back to paradise)....But the other 1% I use as GS gates. I honestly dont think there is a need for black diamond passes, as long as everyone is skiing it, and not stopping in the middle. Though I do like what Greek Peak has done with school groups....Blue should implement that system. Sure, I'd love to see Razors edge be free of nubz, but there will always be idiots on Razors. :rofl I just wish people would recognize their ability before trying something way beyond their ability. They go down Main Street, which they find easy, and then they think they can fly down Challenge. Gotta love the power wedge.

As would there always be assholes in the parks. It's just that, i've never seen/ heard of black diamond passes before. Park passes, if you think we're just pulling this out of our ass, are implemented at mountains for a fact (mountain creek, Whistler BC).

Not going any further.

EDIT:Yeah, but if the mountian does decide to implement diamond passes- i back it fully, and will buy one. I just think that park passes are more of a safety issue than diamond passes.

Edited by stevo

As would there always be assholes in the parks. It's just that, i've never seen/ heard of black diamond passes before. Park passes, if you think we're just pulling this out of our ass, are implemented at mountains for a fact (mountain creek, Whistler BC).

Not going any further.

Well, Greek Peak has a form of black diamond passes....here's ski4food's post on it...

Park Passes aren't a bad idea. At Greek we are progressing towards them. A majority of our business comes via school programs, so on any given night there are 200-900 kids out skiing on the mountain with little to no supervison. To keep everyone safe and ensure that kids take lesson, and become better skiers, and ultimately fall in love with the sport, we require the kids to all take lessons and sticker tests or challenges.

For example...

A new never ever skier or boarder will come up and have to take a couple lessons before they can take their Green sticker test. In the test they need to exhibit some basic skills, and show us that they can turn, stop, and avoid other skiers and obstacles. They also need to be able to rattle of a few rules from the skier responsibility code. Once they've done this they get their Green sticker and can only ski on Green trails.

There are also challenges for Blue and Black stickers which are respectively more difficult. And in order for a kid to get their black they must know all of the skier responsibility rules. Thus furthering their knowledge of the sport and how to participate safely.

Last year we incorporated the terrain park into a sticker test, and now the kids must pass a Terrain park clinic and challenge before being allowed to enter the main terrain park. Until they pass this, the are only allowed access to the Progression Park (Terrain Garden).

It has worked very well for us, and has kept a lot of the kids that aren't ready for the big park out. Talks are in the works for implementing the terrain park sticker idea for all of our customers, and not just the school kids.

As parks continue to grow, and the tricks being done in them continue to progress safety will be even more important. I don't think it's a bad idea to limit the access of Terrain parks to those who aren't ready. Afterall we don't allow first timers to ski black bump runs.

I hope that all makes sense and sheds a little light on where Greek is headed with the whole Park Pass idea!

EDIT:Yeah, but if the mountian does decide to implement diamond passes- i back it fully, and will buy one. I just think that park passes are more of a safety issue than diamond passes.

Mark Miller said I could ski till my hair is on fire anywhere but Paradise and Burma, but tell that to the family standing JUST below the headwall on falls, out of sight to a skier coming down Challenge, when switch and i almost both collide with them, because they're spread out through the whole trail where we can't see them. I know, I know, it's my fault, and I understand that, but they also have to understand they don't belong on there, if they have to traverse back and forth just to get down. The same can be said in the park, and most parks aren't even that steep. I don't hit anything in the park, but I know when to get out of the way, I know where not to stand. Some people are just not that bright.

the grade of the slopes play a huge part.

kids (some of them) are scared of blacks (diamonds) so they go to the terrain park because its not as steep but still has a curious element. so all of the kids that still cant ski for crap and dont know jack about smart style, end up going in the park. i can see both sides of the argument, and theyre pretty similar, but park passes are much better.

the grade of the slopes play a huge part.

kids (some of them) are scared of blacks (diamonds) so they go to the terrain park because its not as steep but still has a curious element. so all of the kids that still cant ski for crap and dont know jack about smart style, end up going in the park. i can see both sides of the argument, and theyre pretty similar, but park passes are much better.

I can't tell you how many school group kids I hear saying "I love to go through the park, it's so cool". The best was the two little kids saying all they do is ride down the stairs. And you're right about the curiosity factory. It's going to get bad next year with the 6pack going right over the park. I think park passes are a semi-good idea, but all the noobz will then want to try out Razors because they can't go in the park :banghead

I can't tell you how many school group kids I hear saying "I love to go through the park, it's so cool". The best was the two little kids saying all they do is ride down the stairs. And you're right about the curiosity factory. It's going to get bad next year with the 6pack going right over the park. I think park passes are a semi-good idea, but all the noobz will then want to try out Razors because they can't go in the park :banghead

o true, i didnt even think of that haha, damn :confused

o well, you win some loose some :nana

BUT- they'll have a new blue trail to ski on. AND- it will dump them off closer to lazy mile/switchback.

Jeff's starting to see the light....

and as you pointed out, they are under 1, maybe 2 headwalls per run. In a park every single feature is blind, dozens of times over. Every jump is blocked by the ramp itself, and the height and speed is much greater. On a rail you can be on it and have no control over where you will land even if halfway through it you see the person. Besides, you go over a headwall and theres a kid there most likely you don't have a huge amount of air, I'd like a little bit of edge down before I hit the kid, a jump they're just getting hit. On a rollover at least your head can see the kid before you really launch, and there is enough time to if nothing else lay yourself out on your side and slide through the kid instead of putting a ski through him. I know I've laid myself out a few times to stop myself from hitting someone. When I was at mount snow there was a blind rollover/left hand turn and my brother was about 4 feet to hte right of me, and we both ollied the roll over. THere was a chinese guy and his son standnig right under it, and i laid myself down fast enough to land in a toeside turn, i avoided hitting the kid but i flew into the woods feet first and hit a tree. it was the scariest moment on a snowboard i've ever had. but the chances of it happening are low. now think of every feature being like that, except that a billion new kids think that landings are a great place to sit down while they search their pants for the balls to hit a 20 foot ride on box.

yooooo i vote park pass all theee wayyyyyy next year no doubt :rock haha just this saturady at blue, i saw a dad tieing his sons boot on the 70ft kicker, as a snowboarder like just missed them and went over the jump...ohhh so many stories, so little energy!!!(at least have one for sidewinder!!!) :rock:rock:rock:rock

yooooo i vote park pass all theee wayyyyyy next year no doubt :rock haha just this saturady at blue, i saw a dad tieing his sons boot on the 70ft kicker, as a snowboarder like just missed them and went over the jump...ohhh so many stories, so little energy!!!(at least have one for sidewinder!!!) :rock:rock:rock:rock

haha rob, it's about black diamond passes. Not that what you said wasn't good though- actually a prime example of idiots in the park :rock

but seriously,with out any argueing my point, have seen shit happen in side winder that shouldnt be happening in a terrainpark i.e. thos sick racer skiiers going off the side of rail lips m thats fun!! or the group of 50yearolds taking a group picture in the landing hMMM???? fun huh! or how about the im gonnpretend to hit stuff by turning away at the last second and creating a nice rut so tasty!!!!

Black Diamond Passes != Park Passes

Edit: Where is the "70 foot booter" at Blue? I looked for it but the biggest jump I found was about 35-40 feet. If that.

uhh after the rainbowrail, to the far right is the 70 ft

Black Diamond Passes != Park Passes

Edit: Where is the "70 foot booter" at Blue? I looked for it but the biggest jump I found was about 35-40 feet. If that.

yeah i couldnt find it either. i measured the last booter to be about 54 feet last week as opposed to the 72 feet that it was a month ago. those people at Blue lie about the size of stuff.