Good News II

Park Crue

I have some info about Sidewinder Park.

The trail has been widened x3. It is as wide and in places wider than Paradise.

The 45 new york snowguns are installed on riders left as you go down. They are 60 ft. apart.

the old snow guns will work the riders right. The new guns have triple the snow blowing capacity of the old guns.

Josh from Sunday River is coming down soon to help us with the new features. I know a lot of you are worried, but let me assure you that we have some really exciting stuff in the works.

Bottom line, we are designing this park to be fun, challenging and very smooth.

Park Passes will not be instituted. We are still considering some sort of "deterrent" at the start, to discourage opportunists .

It would be great if you all can use this thread to convey your ideas. Please be civil to each other . so that it is not locked down again.

Thanks, and pray for cold. :)

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HUGE mound of snow in the front of the park like Mt. Snow does with their expert park. it takes forever to get up that thing if you dont bomb the trail leading there. families arent going to want to hike up that thing just to watch people go through the park. and kids that suck wont have the ability/skill to even get up it. it will also hide the things in the park so people wont see everything andb e like "oh wow look at that! lets go see waht else is there"

make some sary signs like inexperienced riders can cause death or serious injury to others on this trail. no rentals. if your in a snowplow, you cant be in the park. people on landings = trips to the hospital. and just scary stuff like that. the biggest problem blue has (not ripping on it just a fact) is that it oly has 1 park trail so you cant send newbs elsewhere. if you can try to convince management to build a small park on a connector trail or part of a trailk and route the newbs there so they can learn. i mean there will always be aproblem with people like this so you cant stop it but that stuff should put some end to it. also dont do ride on flat boxes cause kids will just so strait across um and make park crews job that much harder. Also explain to parents when your riding how their kids are making an unsafe riding enviroment for everyone and they should go onto another trail. i also dont agree with the agge thing because some little kids will be good and you sont want to stop them from progressing. big hiking hill is golden as well and also make the enterence as narrow as possible, like 5 feet wide. then people will be less lkely to enter

I was thinking that they should have a roped off lane maybe 10 feet wide down the side of the trail for spectators...especially since the new park will be alot wider.

Doug, thats probabaly the best idea you've had in awhile! :nana:yes:lol:P

Where'd the edit button go?

With the lack of park passes, the mound at the top of the park definitely seems like one of the best ideas as a deterrent for people who probably shouldn't be in a higher level park. The parks close proximity to the new six pack kind of eliminates most chances of the park being hidden from anyone. Hopefully spectators will get their fill of eyecandy on the lift and will be able to see that Sidewinder is not really the place for them or their death wedger kids.

I'd love to see some mellow multi-kinked rails and boxes this year. The whole goal for the park this year is to have multiple lines in the same area that are smooth and work well together when people take turns. If we can't have park passes, then features need to be setup so that as much of the feature can be seen/spotted from the takeoff point. It is so helpful that we have so much more room to work with now. One of the big reasons that Blues park was the best in the Poconos last year (ya I said it) was all the snow that was blown when it was cold. Blue even blew later in the year just to give us some new snow to pack with to keep lips looking nice. You guys have no idea the difference that just a few centimeters of snow makes in keeping the park nice for the day, packs sooooo much better than 2 week old ice cubes.

I know I've beat to death "e-mails to management," but it does help. Suggestions on sites like this one and Newschoolers also help a ton, because we can take what he see and hear from people directly to management. Park crue at Blue is becoming a pretty dedicated group of girls and guys who ride the park there more than just about anyone else, but we still need suggestions on things you want to see. Let em rip.

As far as the spectator lane - Why should they be making our park narrower to accomadate people that shouldn't even be in there in the first place?

Park passes. It's that simple. Signs could actually do more bad than good - it causes attraction to the park. It's not like people would actually read it anyway.

The only way to keep people out is to have park passes...that's all there is to it. As long as the trail can be accessed by anyone people will go in it no matter what.

Definately no spectator lane thats not going to work.

The pile of snow is good, except it sucks up snow from the park. Mountain creek puts a huge pile of haybales and then covers it with a few feet of snow as the basis for their drop in hill for the superpipe, that hill is about 30 feet high and a good 40 feet wide.

The other option is just an orange construction fence. Make the opening just wide enough for one person. stick a sign like 5 feet in front of it that says Terrain Park, Experianced Experts Only, Possible Injury to Spectators Can Result.

This way, you can't get into the park unless you pass AROUND a sign, and you have to go through the fence single file. You definately can't accidently get into it. It won't deter all the jackasses but it will deter a lot and that is about a $50 solution.

Park Passes will not be instituted. We are still considering some sort of "deterrent" at the start, to discourage opportunists .

It would be great if you all can use this thread to convey your ideas. Please be civil to each other . so that it is not locked down again.

Just wanted to make sure that no one missed that part of the opening post. I'll quote it just to make sure, "Park passes will not be instituted."

Good now that we got that out of the way this thread need not turn into another debate about the pros and cons of park passes. If a "deterrent" is all we'll get, then I'm gonna take it. Please send those arguments to Blue in your e-mails. Everyone on here knows where you stand on that issue, and posting it here will get that argument no further.

Again, any fresh ideas for the park?

Suggestions: Post pics of rails, hits, jibs, etc... Describe what you'd like to see, even if you think it has no idea of happening. Something I was thinking of lately was either a manmade hitching post or tree jib. Wouldn't that be sick to sink a telephone pole on top of a 1/4 pipe on a corner and make a huge tree jib!?!

A spectator lane would be for people like Papasteeze and parents of young jib-honks. They want to watch their kids get mad steezy air but they themselves don't do any tricks so a spectator lane would be for them so they can take pictures and watch without getting in the way. It could also be for people not ready for the park who want to check out features. On that first step-down jump where there was a smaller booter on the right and a larger booter on the left, it's totally blind...I saw a father cutting right across the landing with his young daughter. I skied up to him and said that they should stay on the side of the trail because somebodies going to land on them...and he gave me this look like,"How dare you tell me where I can ski"..Do Ski patrollers ever yell at people who get in the way in the park?

No - at BC I nailed a 9 year old kid standing on the landing of the first big booter. I got hurt more than he did and got my lift ticket clipped and a screaming mom in my face. I should of got the park crew to testify for me, since they know what it's like, but there were no witnesses that I knew and the ski patroller said I was reckless and going too fast (yea you naturally go fast after landing a 40 foot booter).

People are more than welcome to just ride through the park, I think, to check it out. Hell, even I do it the first time just to check out the park. Just as long as they don't ride down landings, over lips, or do anything stupid to get in the way.

Again, any fresh ideas for the park?

Idk how this would be, but I'd like to see a big ledge. Something that you ride right up to and at the edge just like a 10-15ft drop onto a nice steep down slope. Then on one side maybe put like a long flat box so you can either hit the huge ledge or go for the box (and if you fall off the box it would be a pretty good drop to the ground). Just a thought

A ledge has been tossed around as an idea at many mountains and parks for a while. I think the reason you don't really see that many is that anything with a square edge/90 degree angle like that makes maintenance kind of prohibitive. It just wears away and away, and if a groomer accidentally drove off it...... Ya. Also, to build a straight drop like that requires a super steep landing. As of now Blue does not have a winch cat, which is pretty much a must for making landings that steep. Hopefully in the near future they will acquire one.

In terms of spectators and non-jibbers in the park, the best thing we can do is politely educate them. Sure I've been frustrated and raised my voice occasionally, but as often as I can I try to be respectful and let them know the safest ways to ski/board through the park. From race coaches/ski instructors on down to your very beginners, there is a serious lack of understanding about park ettiquette. It is a whole different ballgame than most of the other parts of the mountain. It is pretty much the only place on the mountain where it is understood that the downhill rider does not have the right of way if a drop has been called. It is sounding like park crue will have a pretty much full time presence in the park this year, and hopefully that will help teach both ski patrol and the paying public a little bit about park ettiquette.

it requires first educating the ski patrollers on the rules of the park. If a situation comes up where I'm going over a jump and I land and hit someone, the person in the way gets their pass clipped end of story. If the patrollers don't know something basic and take it from the guy using the park, that is a serious issue. Politeness doesn't usually work. Hate to say it but Mountain Creek pre-park pass was basically enforcing park ettiquette by roving bands of hardcore snowboarders scaring the shit out of everybody, i.e. get the fuck out of my way or i'll punch in the face. People want to go see, people want to go try. They see the X games and think oh this looks so easy. I personally just call my drops really loud, try not to hurt people by skipping features if they get in the way, but I also don't just stand there if a person is in a landing or somewhere they shouldn't be. You have to keep telling people and warning people, and so do the patrollers.

I still say the fence with a super tight entrance and a sign in front and behind it, so that you can not ski straight in or board straight in will help at least a bit. The sign should also say that you will have your pass taken for sitting in blindspots.

when did this happen? im sorry about that and i dont know how you would get your pass clippedfor going too fast on teh landing of the jump. the kid should of had his pass clipped. also the phoe pole idea is sick and i had it liek a year ago so u better not steal it AHHH!! haha

The end of january.

What happened was I landed directly infront of him, knocked him down and we both like tumbled

I really hurt my shoulder and neck, and broke my goggles from falling. I yell over to the kid "are you OK?" and he didnt say anything, then I get up and like start semi-yelling at him, saying he shouldn't sit here, what were you thinking, he wasn't like responding or anything, then a ski patroller came and told me to meet him in the ski patrol office area at the base, the kids mom was there screaming in my face "who the fuck do you think you are" "maybe you should learn how to ride instead of hitting my kid" and I got my lift ticket clipped and I had to fucking wait like 3 hours in the lodge because my mom couldn't pick me up until then.

The ski patroller told me I was going way too fast, was being reckless, and I should of spotted out the landing before hitting the jump...or not hit the jump at all.

Wtf is that? So I'm supposed to ride up to the landing, make sure no ones there, then hike it and hit the jump then? And last time I checked they build the jump so people can hit it, not so kids can sit on the landing.

This is a good part of the reason why I wont be hitting up BC much this season.

can we not discuss this in blues thread. the only place rangers/ski patrol is a problem is at cb. ive never seen any patrol at blue do something stupid in the park.

i will say this though...if you jump without a spotter, you pretty much are at fault. (in most cases)

Edited by Shadows