Good News II

Park Crue

also the phoe pole idea is sick and i had it liek a year ago so u better not steal it AHHH!! haha

riiiiight. I don't think I've ever seen it anywhere. Has anyone seen this in magazines or movies??? I'm not real down with using natural trees for jibs. Maybe for like one or two hits, but definitely not a high traffic place like a park.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no man never seen it anywhere but ui had it on paper at the beginning of last season. you build a nice 14 pipe with the zuagg and drill a hole in the deck and put in like a 20 foot telephone pole with height markings on it at every foot. im pretty sure its never been done and i think it would look and be very sick

first, what if u dont have someone to spot you?

second, than you have to skip a whole line to spot someone

Yea, I had no one to spot, I was there alone

spotting is a good idea, but not sitting on the landing is a much better one

the people hitting the jumps shouldnt have to overcompensate for the retards that park their asses

no man never seen it anywhere but ui had it on paper at the beginning of last season. you build a nice 14 pipe with the zuagg and drill a hole in the deck and put in like a 20 foot telephone pole with height markings on it at every foot. im pretty sure its never been done and i think it would look and be very sick

Ya I dunno about a 14 foot 1/4 pipe for a tree jib. Maybe like 10 at the most. Thats alot of snow. 45 new guns is amazing and should help a ton. I wonder how many are on the length of Razors? I've never counted. Imagine what they can lay down with both sides blowing... Hell ya. Four times the previous capability if I understand it correctly. I'm tryin to think hard of more park ideas.

no rentals in the park?

Please give us at least this....

HUGE mound of snow in the front of the park like Mt. Snow does with their expert park. it takes forever to get up that thing if you dont bomb the trail leading there. families arent going to want to hike up that thing just to watch people go through the park. and kids that suck wont have the ability/skill to even get up it. it will also hide the things in the park so people wont see everything andb e like "oh wow look at that! lets go see waht else is there"

:rock

The other option is just an orange construction fence. Make the opening just wide enough for one person. stick a sign like 5 feet in front of it that says Terrain Park, Experianced Experts Only, Possible Injury to Spectators Can Result.

Make it hard to get into the park. some sort of fence system. This way, they will see the fence, on which you can plaster very very blunt warnings....tell it how it is

life's not always fair

i'd rather be a little inconveinced then have my line screwed up by some moron standing on a landing

but i do agree with you, an inconvience like a giant mound of snow to get into the park would cause a ton of bitching from myself, but is prob a good idea

you could be right, but I just don't see why a mountain can't issue a freaking piece of paper called a park pass instead of building fences, making 10 ft mounds of snow, etc

It would save them so much trouble

Blue mountain is open 13.5 hours a day during the week and 14.5 hours a week during the weekend so they's need somebody 96 hours per week to check park passes at the entrance of the park. Plus they'd need another person where you can sneak onto Sidewinder from the right side of lazy mile. That would cost Blue mountain thousands and thousands of dollars. Would any PASRs be willing to give up their ski and ride time to volunteer to check park passes?

Around $80,000 probably (96 hours @ 110 days in the season x $8/hour ~ $84,000, and that's conservative). It would be much cheaper to blow a big mound of snow, vs hiring somebody to check park passes. :)

I think they should just promote smart style, look before you leap. PM Papasteeze about it :rofl

Anyway, I rarely see ski patrol in there in the first place, which is the first problem. They need to spend more time in the park, and less time on Paradise, but what else would Mark Miller do? I think a greater presence of ski patrolers in the park will help eliviate people doing stupid shit. Imagine if instead of a ski patroller standing at the slow sign at paradise, they stopped at a big booter for a few minutes and made sure everyone was clearing out from landing and keeping things were safe. That's their job, is it not? To promote safety and protect the safety of their guests? I think more people are going to get hurt in the park, then from Doug and I skiing fast. Maybe one of you jib honks need to become a certified ski patroller, and then maybe something will get done. Trevor? Justin? I think if Blue assigned ONE patroller to the park while they're on duty, it would help so much. I don't think the answer is a big mound of park passes, I think it's ski patrol. If that on duty park patroller saw a family riding up lips, or getting in the way, he could kindly ask them to stay to the side, and refrain from coming in the park again, because they obviously don't belong there, and consequences would occur. A simple warning is all that is sufficient, because I guarentee those who are warned return back, in fear of losing their ticket.

In summary, I propose a Ski patroller designed as a Park Patroller. :)

I already work three programs that I get paid for. That would be sweet if I could afford to volunteer at Blue. I'd definitely do Ski Patrol if it was paid position and duties included setting avy charges and "testing" the back bowls after a dump.

Given the fact that park passes don't seem to have the approval of management, the mound idea and some type of gates are the best ideas/things that I've seen that might work. Management is keeping in mind the people who still enjoy skiing Sidewinder as a regular trail. It has long been practice at Blue to not deny access to a trail that paying customers have bought tickets/passes to ride. The one exception to that is whatever trail the race program is using. If Razors is closed for a day, Blue gets alot of e-mails, because many people come to Blue to ski only that trail. On weekends the race team usually has to get off Razors before 11 or 12 on average. Perhaps this could be the compromise that would keep most parties happy. The park could be park pass only for X amount of hours each day. For like 3 hours each day, the park would be shutdown to everyone without a pass. The pass would be kept super cheap and be a one time deal. I would assume that by now management is sick of hearing about it, so it likely will not happen this year. But that is the one way I can think of to get around it. I know the Freeride programs would love to have a few empty features each morning to work on and progress on. Unfortunately our numbers are not quite up to the race teams. yet...

no rentals in the park?

Yes... That will keep most of the once or twice a season people who have little or no understanding away. They are just trying to get in as much as they can, can't say I blame them. Give them a little park to trash the rentals in.

make some sary signs

can cause death or serious injury to others on this trail.

no rentals.

people on landings = trips to the hospital.

you can try to convince management to build a small park on a connector trail or part of a trailk and route the newbs there so they can learn.

A small park encouraging beginners to start there is key to educating, with out it, you are pissing in the wind.

I was thinking that they should have a roped off lane maybe 10 feet wide down the side of the trail for spectators...especially since the new park will be alot wider.

dumb idea, wannabes like you would think it is a race lane.

Park passes. It's that simple.

The only way to keep people out is to have park passes...that's all there is to it. As long as the trail can be accessed by anyone people will go in it no matter what.

WORD! Why won't blue do them, Why? Doesn't matter to me that they aren't, I want to know why!

ski patrollers really need education...the terrain park isn't like other runs,

This is key.. I have had many a conversation with patrollers riding up the lift about the parks. They basically don't go in (too many rules broken) , shy away from, (afraid of retribution) or are told to leave them alone. (told hands off) different stories at different mountains.. Patrollers have the authority, they should be educated and they should be in the park doing what they are compensated to do. Patrolling, first aid, etc etc.

Why mess around with plastic fences, mounds of snow etc, what you need is a really intimidating gap-to rail as the entrance to the park, with the fence running right up to both sides of it, if you can't take the rail, you can't come into the park. :crymore:

Edited by Timeless

the problem with ski patrollers in the park is that half the time, they are no better than your average twice a year skier. they dont know part etiquette either. two patrollers in particular up at blue, who are parents of a fellow freeskier, are very involved in the park up there, and i've seen them take laps through the park on many occasions, but two out of a hundred or so is not enough. i'm pretty sure i posted it on here last year when it happened, but one of my friends hit a patroller standing in the landing area of the staircase, when we had given him several minutes to clean up his mess. he then told us that he was standing there because he didnt know what he was supposed to do. that is the root of the problem. everyone up there, from instructors to patrollers needs to be better educated as to how to handle yourself and others in the park. its an entirely different element than the rest of the hill.

Around $80,000 probably (96 hours @ 110 days in the season x $8/hour ~ $84,000, and that's conservative). It would be much cheaper to blow a big mound of snow, vs hiring somebody to check park passes. :)

I think they should just promote smart style, look before you leap. PM Papasteeze about it :rofl

Anyway, I rarely see ski patrol in there in the first place, which is the first problem. They need to spend more time in the park, and less time on Paradise, but what else would Mark Miller do? I think a greater presence of ski patrolers in the park will help eliviate people doing stupid shit. Imagine if instead of a ski patroller standing at the slow sign at paradise, they stopped at a big booter for a few minutes and made sure everyone was clearing out from landing and keeping things were safe. That's their job, is it not? To promote safety and protect the safety of their guests? I think more people are going to get hurt in the park, then from Doug and I skiing fast. Maybe one of you jib honks need to become a certified ski patroller, and then maybe something will get done. Trevor? Justin? I think if Blue assigned ONE patroller to the park while they're on duty, it would help so much. I don't think the answer is a big mound of park passes, I think it's ski patrol. If that on duty park patroller saw a family riding up lips, or getting in the way, he could kindly ask them to stay to the side, and refrain from coming in the park again, because they obviously don't belong there, and consequences would occur. A simple warning is all that is sufficient, because I guarentee those who are warned return back, in fear of losing their ticket.

In summary, I propose a Ski patroller designed as a Park Patroller. :)

Although thats a great idea, it would place "Snow Cone Slopes" (AKA Blue Mountain) in a position of liability for skiers actions. This would open them to all kind of lawsuits. This would be the same as posting patrols to monitor that only skiers with certain skills could go on "blue" or "black" runs. - When you buy that pass, you take responsibility. Risk is inherent to Skiing/snowboarding.

Edited by Finndog

Management is keeping in mind the people who still enjoy skiing Sidewinder as a regular trail. It has long been practice at Blue to not deny access to a trail that paying customers have bought tickets/passes to ride. The one exception to that is whatever trail the race program is using. If Razors is closed for a day, Blue gets alot of e-mails, because many people come to Blue to ski only that trail.

their probably afraid of people being pissed cause they bought a pass but cant use a trail.

Need I say anything...

I was thinking that they should have a roped off lane maybe 10 feet wide down the side of the trail for spectators...especially since the new park will be alot wider.

I like that idea. I usually spot Bob and then just putter behind him to watch him hit jumps. If there was a lane off to the side I'd go there after spotting and be out of the way of the people who want to use the features.

As far as the spectator lane - Why should they be making our park narrower to accomadate people that shouldn't even be in there in the first place?

So people who want to watch and maybe learn how to use the features have a place to do so that is out of your way. A smaller trail or a trail less crowded with spectators and parents...you choose.

the problem with ski patrollers in the park is that half the time, they are no better than your average twice a year skier. they dont know part etiquette either. two patrollers in particular up at blue, who are parents of a fellow freeskier, are very involved in the park up there, and i've seen them take laps through the park on many occasions, but two out of a hundred or so is not enough. i'm pretty sure i posted it on here last year when it happened, but one of my friends hit a patroller standing in the landing area of the staircase, when we had given him several minutes to clean up his mess. he then told us that he was standing there because he didnt know what he was supposed to do. that is the root of the problem. everyone up there, from instructors to patrollers needs to be better educated as to how to handle yourself and others in the park. its an entirely different element than the rest of the hill.

Amen to that! :halo Last year my buds and I were taking some vids, setup below/ next to the landings with another one of us spotting the takeoffs and warning others to stay clear, all while not holding up any other boarder/skier from hitting the features. Then a ski patroller came down, stopped in the blind landing area of the booters at the beginning on the park to tell us how dangerous it was to be stopped where we were! This was a prime example of some of the misunderstandings or lack of knowledge SOME of the patrollers have of the park. We went further then many others I've seen taking pics, vids, or just watching. We were the ones making sure we made it safe for our friends hitting the features, as well as making sure our fellow riders, skiers also knew we were there. I don't know that park passes are the answer, at least not for a fee. How did we all learn how to use the park safely? I know I never had a park pass. I agree with the idea, and maybe simply watching a safety video and being able to track that somehow is the best alternative to the problem that has been getting worse each season. Many parents and old timers (respectfully) don't understand that GETTING HURT IN THE PARK DOESN'T JUST HAPPEN FROM USING THE FEATURES OF THE PARK!!!!! Many injuries occcur when you have inexperienced riders/skiers not understanding where to stay clear of, and just don't understand park safety. If it were my business, I'd do everything I could to ensure the safety and enjoyment of all my customers. Free park passes would help achieve both.

justin said it best that all you need to know

this is all that i want at blue i dont care about patk passes

java script:ViewImage('http://media.newschoolers.com/uploads/member/pictures/1147614861Lasse_N_DSC0145Varing2.jpg');

good god people would die. i think they need to figure out the whole quarterpipe thing first though, as sick as that would be.

on the park pass note, boulder's got it right with the no rental policy in their advanced park. never once when i was there last year was that park crowder with people who didnt know what they are doing, because guess what? the majority of the idiots in the park are on rental equipment, or at least someone in their group is. that would alleviate a huge amount of the problem.

ya a feature like that would be soooooooo sick. Everyone tries to hit a wall. (By the way, thats one of the most satisfying sounds in the park, when a noob just rides straight into a hollow wall made of steel. I get goosebumps just thinking about it.) But no one would hit that except people who knew their shiz.

good god people would die. i think they need to figure out the whole quarterpipe thing first though, as sick as that would be.

on the park pass note, boulder's got it right with the no rental policy in their advanced park. never once when i was there last year was that park crowder with people who didnt know what they are doing, because guess what? the majority of the idiots in the park are on rental equipment, or at least someone in their group is. that would alleviate a huge amount of the problem.

One time at BC, I remember I got cut off by this chinese kid on rental skis going about mach 300 to just ride straight over the box, it was funny actually....

hahaha, just thought I'd bring it up

• 2 weeks later...

just my thoughts...

a narrow opening to the park would keep some people out, but when the gapers that still want to get through fall trying to get through, theyr now in the way and pissing off more people :banghead it could work if used properly tho.. haha most preferably with a park pass check but we know thats not happening this year so oh well

something like a big mound would work, but i think a lot of times you would find yourself having to hike up it just to get into sidewinder anyways, remember how windy it gets on top of the mt sometimes its hard to get to the trail on the flat let alone up a hill :(

you guys sound like idiots with your park pass ideas. the park is not yours. it is for everyone to use. if you dont like it, find a new mountain to go to or else learn to fuckin share with those who pay their price of admission to be on the same damn mountain as you do.

i agree that i do get annoyed of people that just sit in front of a ramp or a rail or whatever it may be but they paid to be on the mountain as i did. i am obligated to share with those who may be a lot better than i am and with those who may not be as good as i am but want to learn more. it is not your right to say who should be where on the mountain. thats for blue mountain to decide and obviously they have decided to not put in park passes or else they would have done it already.

to implement a park pass, they would need someone at the top to check if everyone entering the park has a park pass. when theyre not making anymore money by charging more, why would they want to implement a system that has no effect on their business whatsoever by losing money to pay for the employee? the only way they would even consider a park pass is to add a park pass fee ON TOP of the existing lift ticket rate. or else they would just be stupid and lose money.