Camelbacks Used skis?

Dave_S

Can anyone offer an opinion on the used skis that Camelback is offering? Below are the details that they have posed on their web page:

Used High Performance skis ~ $125.00 per pair

Salomon Cross Max w/ Salomon Bindings (sizes 150 cm, 160 cm, 170 cm & 180 cm)

Elan Integra X carve w/ Salomon Bindings (168 cm, 176 cm & 184 cm)

The High Performance skis that the Camelback Rental Shop is selling are well worth $125 per pair. We would not be selling them if they were not worth the asking price. Everyone who has come to look at them has bought a pair.

They are in great condition cosmetically. They have a lot of life left on the base. The skis all have Salomon S7-11 and S712 bindings on them with an indicator range from 4.0-10.0. Keep in mind that they are High Performance rental skis and these do not go out nearly as often as regular rental skis. The High Performance rental skis are waxed and sharpened more often throughout the winter as well. Some pairs that are still available for sale did not go out at all this past winter season. Before making judgement based on what is being said on this board, you may want to come up and check them out for yourself. The Rental Shop is open from 8am-4pm Monday-Friday, or you can call 570-629-1661 ext. 2252 for more information.

Before making judgement based on what is being said on this board, you may want to come up and check them out for yourself. The Rental Shop is open from 8am-4pm Monday-Friday, or you can call 570-629-1661 ext. 2252 for more information.

ski dude have you seen them up close? $125 doesn't seem like much..

How old are they? What year model? Are the crossmax foam or wood core?

Edited by Papasteeze

ski dude have you seen them up close? $125 doesn't seem like much..

How old are they? What year model? Are the crossmax foam or wood core?

I have seen them upclose.

Not for me...Might be for some people. For a first pair of skis, you might not be able to find a better deal, but I think I would have issuses on them trying to uhh turn on anything but uhh water.

Salomon has the crossmax skis in the version of 7, 8, and 10. I believe (but am not sure) the rental shop has the 7s (the ones they are selling now, but could be the 8s). As the numbers go up, the skis get stiffer (and generally are made for more advanced skiers). I also think (but again not sure) they are foam, not wood cores.

I had the crossmax 10s, (180 cm) and they felt like wet noodles, even on soft snow, so I ended up giving them to my dad. On the other hand, they have a pretty sweet race ski :rock

So if they were the first pair of skis for you, probably one of the better deals you can find. If you have a pair of intermediate or better skis, you might be disapointed.

Ashleigh thanks for stopping by :)

'Dude's right on this one. I saw the one's they had on sale last spring when I was waiting for Jeff to show up. There was a rack outside the rental shop area, across from the ticket windows. I took a look at the "high performance" skis and thought they must be mismarked. The best set had well over 100 days on them and the edges were down to 20% in most spots.

Are they worth $125? Well, they are worth whatever people are willing to pay, I suppose.

But calling them HIGH PERFORMANCE when they are down to their final 20% of life might be considered misleading to some people. People buying them are getting sloppy skis that they have to be very careful when they tune the remaining edges...and I'd advise anyone stepping into them to consider a retension test first. I bet they'll have to crank the bindings to their max setting just to get to a fairly safe release point.

Okay, so this is just my opinion after having looked them over. Sorry, Ash, I don't mean this personally, but selling used rental gear at a premium price is going to get questioned. If you don't believe me, just do the math. First, estimate how many days a pair has been skied. Each manufacturer will tell you how many days of life there is in a particular ski, as well as how many times a ski can be sharpened, especially on a machine.

And I can almost guarantee every ski I saw would be considered past it's life by the manufacturer. Would it kill CB to simply give them away to people buying lift tickets? Maybe encourage them into the sport a little more?

Each manufacturer will tell you how many days of life there is in a particular ski, as well as how many times a ski can be sharpened, especially on a machine.

Show me a ski company that will give you specifics on those points!

:ph34r:

Would it kill CB to simply give them away to people buying lift tickets? Maybe encourage them into the sport a little more?

Why don't they just give everyone a free season pass also to encourage them to ski?!

they should do people who want to get into the sport a favor and sell them for $25 or so... $125 cant be much less than CB paid for them... Remember, these skis are made to be rentals.. Rental skis arent made up to par with skis meant to be sold to the public.

Jordan

Show me a ski company that will give you specifics on those points!

Why don't they just give everyone a free season pass also to encourage them to ski?!

Talk to any rep and they'll tell you how many days are in a ski. It's not a secret. Most high end skis are right around 100 days. A ski has a limited number of rides in it.

Well, fourth graders DO get free season passes to encourage them to be lifelong skiers. But my point is that ski areas make entering the sport way too expensive. Price is the number one reason people don't take up the sport. And gear is a helluva lot cheaper than the money made from someone's lift tickets and food sales. CB sticking people for $125 just doesn't set well with me. Maybe I'm crazy, but Warren Miller wrote an essay about how ski areas should be more like drug dealers. Give away the retired rental gear for free...give heavily reduced rate lift tickets for beginner lifts. Get people "addicted".

But we are free to disagree 1st Grade.

Talk to any rep and they'll tell you how many days are in a ski. It's not a secret. Most high end skis are right around 100 days. A ski has a limited number of rides in it.

Well, fourth graders DO get free season passes to encourage them to be lifelong skiers. But my point is that ski areas make entering the sport way too expensive. Price is the number one reason people don't take up the sport. And gear is a helluva lot cheaper than the money made from someone's lift tickets and food sales. CB sticking people for $125 just doesn't set well with me. Maybe I'm crazy, but Warren Miller wrote an essay about how ski areas should be more like drug dealers. Give away the retired rental gear for free...give heavily reduced rate lift tickets for beginner lifts. Get people "addicted".

But we are free to disagree 1st Grade.

Is that a 100 days at 5 runs a day or 25 runs a day? Big difference. It's a ridiculous statement to say a ski has 100 days in it. I guess we better ask Doug what constitutes a real day.

I changed my opinion on the used skis. They should be free with every lift ticket. I would go skiing every day if I got a $125 pair of skis with each $50 ticket. You should go into sales and marketing!

Maybe I'm crazy, but Warren Miller wrote an essay about how ski areas should be more like drug dealers. Give away the retired rental gear for free...give heavily reduced rate lift tickets for beginner lifts. Get people "addicted".

You are not crazy. I remember that article. The resorts won't do it though, because once they have an addict, they will likely want to go to something stronger and the resort will lose it's customer. Great for the industry, but the return on the investment might not work for the resort.

That is a great idea though. In a learn to ski package give em the rental gear! Jordan is right, I can't believe that the resorts pay much more than $125 for bulk purchases of rentals.

I guess we better ask Doug what constitutes a real day.

doesn't he have like 2 million feet on the same pair of skis? I guess his skis are totally worthless now.

Is that a 100 days at 5 runs a day or 25 runs a day? Big difference. It's a ridiculous statement to say a ski has 100 days in it. I guess we better ask Doug what constitutes a real day.

I changed my opinion on the used skis. They should be free with every lift ticket. I would go skiing every day if I got a $125 pair of skis with each $50 ticket. You should go into sales and marketing!

Man, you're in a shitty mood, too. Principal on your ass for something?

I guess Atomic, Rossi, Elan, and all the other ski manufacturers are ridiculous for saying that a ski begins to lose it's torsional rigidity after a certain amount of time on the snow. I never really cared all that much, so I never asked a rep exactly what constitutes a day. I wasn't going to be all anal about it. I just took for granted that they go by a normal ski day for a typical European skier, which would be five hours or so of skiing fairly soft conditions. After all, it's only a useful number if it accurately depicts the average skier they market toward. You have to understand, 1st Grade, that most skiers in Europe are smarter than us about the subject...and a fourth or fifth generation skier is ready to handle more than the typical guy from Wilmington, DE, that walks into a part-time ski shop.

It almost ski season: attempt to be nicer!

Edited by ski

[quote name='ski' date='Nov 10 2006, 07:33 PM' post='110449'

I guess Atomic, Rossi, Elan, and all the other ski manufacturers are ridiculous for saying that a ski begins to lose it's torsional rigidity after a certain amount of time on the snow. I never really cared all that much, so I never asked a rep exactly what constitutes a day.

It almost ski season: attempt to be nicer!

I never said that a ski doesn't lose some of it's properties over time. My only point was that the 100 day thing is a pie in the sky #. When they are shot they are shot.

How's that for an attempt?

I don't get why you see it as such an arbitrary number, 1st Grade. I bet someone like Sib would match up pretty close to what ski manufacturers consider a "day of skiing". I know she likes to get out in the mornings, then take a break for an 'off hours' lunch, then go back out for a couple of hours until the snow gets too soft or she's just feeling done for the day. Five or so hours on softer snow than the Poconos.

And I can tell you there is an enormous difference between a ski that is new and one that has seen a 100 days on the snow, especially on hardpack.

I get the feeling you think I'm making this up.