1/21/70 at Blue

AtomicSkier

Twas freakin collddd last night. Got down to almost 12 I think. I pulled in the lot at exactly 7:15am. Booted up at booter speed, and got in line. The line skipper was already in line with GAHskier George, we talked for about 5 minutes until they let us in. I got my pass scanned second, and the rush started. I was on the first chair with 4 other people :banghead . First run was down Lazy and some gaper friend of GAHskier George's felt the need to show off and pass me, so I dropped down into an uber tuck, and he tried to do the same, but by the time I got back to the Pack, he was no where in sight. I kept a pretty steady 6.5 runs/hour pace, even through the 2nd hour, which was pretty impressive, imo. Around 9:15 I took a quad ride, because they had opened it up, and the 6pack had backed up slightly. It was nice to be back on the quad, it feels so dam small though. I also wanted to check out the snow on Razors and Paradise. They both are going to need SEVERAL more nights of snowmaking, that's for sure. However, in less then 36 hours they have made a complete white out on Sidewinder. The amount of snow they have is freakin insane. The piles are soooo huge for such a short amount of time. The snowmaking power they have on that trail is so impressive. We should definatly see that open end of the week at the latest, since setting up the park takes awhile, though it wouldn't surprise with if they opened it Wednesday maybe? Conditions were a little more slick then yesterday. Even my first and second run down the center of lazy the GS:11s slipped a few times. Main Street was really nice. No signs of any PASR's besides jibhonks Justo and Toast, who were keepin it steezy in the lower park. I didn't see any middle aged gapers on twin tips with a girl with pig tails following, which means I didn't get to see sexkitten and bob. I didn't see there car there at 7:20, so they were probably cleaning. I ended up doing 14 packs and 1 quad.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ski patrol was busy today. One lifeflight as of now for a 19 year old first timer who went off the biggest hit in the lower park and did a perfect half flip and landed on his head. No helmet, broke his neck, ahhhh the good times up at Blue. I'll put some pics up later. I think I'm gonna go home now.

Ski patrol was busy today. One lifeflight as of now for a 19 year old first timer who went off the biggest hit in the lower park and did a perfect half flip and landed on his head. No helmet, broke his neck, ahhhh the good times up at Blue. I'll put some pics up later. I think I'm gonna go home now.

I heard that someone who went to help him got punched in the face by some other kid?

I heard that someone who went to help him got punched in the face by some other kid?

Ya thats what the rumor mill has been spinnin' today. Word on the street is that a snowboard instructor rushed over after the kid bombed and the kids friend thought the instructor had something to do with the kid falling and thus broke the instructor's nose.

Disclaimer. This is Blue Mountain hearsay, it should be treated as such.

Don't fear! Tretiak is here!

Where you working the quad today? Can you PLEASE tell them to speed the two high speeds up? They're freaking running at a SNAIL pace.

nope i only work at the 6 pack we cant turn up the speed on that but they can on the quad they usually do towards the end on teh nite to get the last riders up there in a hurry.

keep it up jeff and ill have mark miller on u quicker then stink on shit

nope i only work at the 6 pack we cant turn up the speed on that but they can on the quad they usually do towards the end on teh nite to get the last riders up there in a hurry.

keep it up jeff and ill have mark miller on u quicker then stink on shit

Why can't you turn up the speed? is it because of the number of people/noobs at blue, or simply because the you don't have control over the speed.

when i was at JF the day after christmas, my friend and i were really the only people using the east mt lift. i asked the guy if he could speed it up, he said sure, went into his shack, and slowed it down for a few moments. then he sped it up and all was good in the world.

the 6-pack was definitely going too slow yesterday (saturday), i didn't like it.

Why can't you turn up the speed? is it because of the number of people/noobs at blue, or simply because the you don't have control over the speed.

Lift speed is usually dictated by ski patrol or the head of lift operations. I think I've explained it in the past but the logic behind running a lift slower is that there is more time to load and unload, therefor there should be less people falling while getting on/off the lift. Less slowdowns and stops at a slower speed are better than more frequent slowdowns and stops at a higher speed.

Lift speed is usually dictated by ski patrol or the head of lift operations. I think I've explained it in the past but the logic behind running a lift slower is that there is more time to load and unload, therefor there should be less people falling while getting on/off the lift. Less slowdowns and stops at a slower speed are better than more frequent slowdowns and stops at a higher speed.

It was you that posted a really good article about lift lines/loading/etc right? And everything you said makes sense. But for the first hour, when the n00bs aren't out yet, they could crank it up so I could get 8 runs off the pack, rather then 7.

and a bunch on sidewinder again people are really stupid and just cant wait till they open

Dude I poached Sidewinder 3 times now and havent been caught. Im not gonna do it again though cause that is just sketchy but seriously.. It is so worth it.. The snow is so soft it was honestly like riding out West. Not regreting it at all because it will be probably be the closest thing to Pow Ill ride all year.

Dude I poached Sidewinder 3 times now and havent been caught. Im not gonna do it again though cause that is just sketchy but seriously.. It is so worth it.. The snow is so soft it was honestly like riding out West. Not regreting it at all because it will be probably be the closest thing to Pow Ill ride all year.

:smoke: jussttttt like riding out west :banghead

:sniffcrack:

It was you that posted a really good article about lift lines/loading/etc right? And everything you said makes sense.

Nah that was me. Found on the SAA or Ski Area Association website. I don't think thats the right acronym or name but if you search it the right one will pop up.

:confused

that is nothing like riding out west. not even slightly close. just beacuse you poached a trail that wasnt groomed over yet does not mean that you skied powder. that shit is still solid as hell. so if it was skiing like out west, you should have been waste deep in all that (man-made) "powder"... yeah, i dont think so.

We were there. We decided to sleep in a little and didn't get there till around 8:30. You might have missed the pigtails cause they were tucked into my Turtle Fur , which was pulled up to my nose to keep me warm and dry. We mainly skied Lazy Mile to Falls to the quad but we got a few Main Street runs in too. Didn't get over to Tut's, Raceway or the park but we usually don't ski those trails so it was OK. Also, I think Raceway was closed for racing cause I saw the poles out but we didn't go over and check. Besides the ice at the top of Main St. conditions were pretty good overall. The lift lines weren't bad either now that I think about it. The quad was barely used which was nice and the C lift wait couldn't have been more than 3 minutes for us. We ended up getting a little bored with skiing around newbies and on the same two trails so we left after lunch. I didn't really see any PASR's but since I can never remember what you all look like I'm not surprised. I is unusual that I didn't see Jeff though. I usually do at least once. Oh well. We'll definitely be up there at least one day next weekend and might even do a Blue day and a BC day or do the PARS day at JF& BB so look for us. YAY WINTER!!!

Almost at my knees. So I exaggerated a little bit it wasnt hardcore backcountry but it was deep enough and it felt like floating. For how bad this season has been it was some sweet stuff. And I did not say it was powder once in that last post.. I said the closest thing to it I would see all year and I am heading up to Vermont later on this season. All I was saying was it was so sweet for how bad this season has been. lol no shit it wasnt real powder. Gotta put on some reading glasses bro. :banghead

Edited by Rodeo Steve

Honestly, maybe park passes aren't such a bad idea. I expect a lot of you to respond to this post complaining that you would have to go through the effort to acquire the pass and that people who are new should know better and just not enter the park. However, it is not a perfect world, and people are going to enter the park regardless of their skill level. I would not mind spending a few minutes the next time I head up to Blue to acquire a park pass if it meant it would keep people who don't belong in the park out of the park. Consider the pros: the parks would be less crowded with beginners, and that fact itself makes for a lower amount of beginners that could possibly injure themselves. Please, discuss...

I understand the logic behind the slow lift speed. One idea that I have would be to take a few chairs off the lift and increase the spacing between chairs. They could increase the speed of the lift and still allow ample time for loading in the station. They would handle several fewer riders an hour with this method, but if the lift does not have to stop as often, it should not make a huge impact.