Blue mountain race teams hatred...

Shadows

The park analogy is spot on!

Racing costs $790 plus a season pass for those privileges. That doesn't include any race fees when Razors holds a race. $30 extra for each of those! How much extra do people pay for the park? I wanna hear the bitching when Blue institutes a $790 "Park Pass"!

I don't see where you're getting $790 dollars. The highest price I can find for both mountaineers and the race team is $490, plus the cost of a season pass. Those figures are directly from the racing section of www.skibluemt.com.

The freeride program has the same rates, plus the cost of a season pass. Freeriders also pay for their competition fees.

I agree with the benefit of having a closed trail to train on, so I have no argument there. Hopefully next year Freeriders will be able to close off certain features in the terrain park.

I think Sexkitten has made the most intelligent post thus far in this thread. However, Razors was pretty much built for the race team. It is my understanding a member of the coaching staff designed that trail and pushed for it for years and finally got Blue to build it. That fact turns the issue of closing it into a kind of double edged sword issue. The fact that you ski that trail at all is because of the team.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Barb's bowling league analogy...in fact, it's pretty much exactly the way it works for mountains and racing.

Here's the way it is IMO: it isn't necessarily fair to the general public when a slope is closed for race training. But racing is a season-long program that is offered by the mountain. And the optimum and safest way to do it, is to close a 'premium' trail. But it's exactly the same thing as when a park closes off a little league baseball field for teams to practice. People bitch that it's where they want to run their dogs and that they pay taxes to have it mowed and maintained...

But this is life. We give up a little space and are inconvenienced so 100 or so kids can spend tons of their parents money to one day be a great racer or centerfielder for the Yankees. Without the inconvenience, race programs wouldn't exist and the entire US Ski Team would disappear. Each USSA club team is the little league baseball (and up) of ski racing.

Who cares if the coaches are gruff and don't 'look' like they are having fun? That's their problem. They aren't serving you dinner. You don't have to like them. Were the best teachers you ever had just the one's that smiled?

Mountain race programs bring in a set amount of money that goes directly into the general budget. Like league bowling or season tickets, it allows a ski area to have a cash flow they can count on.

Maybe they can close the butter box on Come Around for the 12 Freeriders.

i'm curious, what do you have against the freeride program and/or those of us who choose to spend most of our time riding the park? i havent seen you post anything remotely positive in that respect.

I think Sexkitten has made the most intelligent post thus far in this thread. However, Razors was pretty much built for the race team. It is my understanding a member of the coaching staff designed that trail and pushed for it for years and finally got Blue to build it. That fact turns the issue of closing it into a kind of double edged sword issue. The fact that you ski that trail at all is because of the team.

See... I am good for more than dick and boob jokes.

Anyway, if Razors was made for the race team and is going to be closed on the weekends than Blue should take it off the trail list/ map. When a mountain says they have 30 trails open I want to be able to ski all 30 trails. That's all.

i'm curious, what do you have against the freeride program and/or those of us who choose to spend most of our time riding the park? i havent seen you post anything remotely positive in that respect.

He thinks you guys are gay. No... seriously... SOME of the freeride team is inconsiderate but I think when you are on the mountain as much as those guys it starts to feel like home and you are a little less condiderate than you could be. Or you guys are gay. Either one. Hahaha.

No... seriously... SOME of the freeride team is inconsiderate

Who did you have a problem with? Older guys or the kids who are actually in the program?

but I think when you are on the mountain as much as those guys it starts to feel like home and you are a little less condiderate than you could be.

Werd to that.

nobody really pays for extended training, alot of times they just show up. did it for 4 years.

and as far as racers carving up my landings, just beware of the screamin' green suit stomping a switch 5 on your back if you do.

but i got nothing against racers now, really.

yea well the racers wont be jumpin line when im working i yelled at the entire team tonite because they kept jumping line when i was out doing crowd control.im honestly tired of that shit and the skiing down the hill so they could jump in line quick we fixed that problem real quick and if they get in my way in the park ill just mow them i wont really care

edit:

i also told ablout 3 or 4 patrolers to tell the race team tell that they will no longer be jumping line anymore and they said yea thats if they listen

Edited by tretiak

Except Tretiak, they're allowed to skip the lift line because they're paying for a closed trail, so they've got to get the most efficient use of it.

It's the same reason Doug and I skip the lift line on the left....we're just trying to catch up with our team. :banghead

Wow, Blue doesn't allow the race team to use the ski school line? That sucks. They'd be the only mountain in PA that didn't allow it.

I usually see the CAT team waiting in the regular line. Maybe they don't excercise their right, but I can't seem to remember them using the ski school line.