Peak Resorts speaks with Alpine Zone

Papa, be definition a troller is one who posts outrageous messages in order to bait others to answer and/or one who delights in sowing discord on a forum. Seems to me that DanSobey would fit that desscription. Claiming that Mr. Boyd is a "dumbass" is without a doubt ridiculous. I think it is safe to say that not one single person who posts on this board is as knowledgable in the ski industry as Mr. Boyd. If my defending him against a claim of "dumbass" makes me a troll, then so be it.

I guess your forgetting that people have a right to their own opinion..

Do you know why Dan thinks the guy is a dumbass? probably not. So without all of the information you automatically assume one is a troll.. That doesn't seem very fair.

Papasteeze PASR has been incredibly friendly all summer until you started posting again..why don't you go back to Newschoolers or buy another Hummer or something..You're the troll..

and why don't you stay in the Blue forum since you don't ski anywhere else? huh?

Papasteeze PASR has been incredibly friendly all summer until you started posting again..why don't you go back to Newschoolers or buy another Hummer or something..You're the troll..

and why don't you stay in the Blue forum since you don't ski anywhere else? huh?

some things will never change...

In reference to the comment about industry folks not wanting to post on boards such as this one, I think it is a pretty valid point. People are much more comfortable shelling out the criticism from the safety of of their online identity rather than taking the time to put together a well constructed letter that includes name and contact info so as to give the representative a chance to respond. However, the respectul and proper thing to do is usually the hardest/most time consuming, therefore is the least popular.

I think a lot of people come to these boards because they want to feel like their opinion of "that rail/snowmaking/comp sucked" will be respected by others like them. In actuality, it really does nothing except give you a medium through which to vent in the immediate aftermath of your good/bad experience, which in the long run only has a negative effect such as a company or mountain rep no longer posting due to the barrage of immature flaming. If more people took 10 minutes to write respectful posts and help censor each other we'd probably see the board grow into a forum of much more credible information.

some things will never change...

In reference to the comment about industry folks not wanting to post on boards such as this one, I think it is a pretty valid point. People are much more comfortable shelling out the criticism from the safety of of their online identity rather than taking the time to put together a well constructed letter that includes name and contact info so as to give the representative a chance to respond. However, the respectul and proper thing to do is usually the hardest/most time consuming, therefore is the least popular.

I think a lot of people come to these boards because they want to feel like their opinion of "that rail/snowmaking/comp sucked" will be respected by others like them. In actuality, it really does nothing except give you a medium through which to vent in the immediate aftermath of your good/bad experience, which in the long run only has a negative effect such as a company or mountain rep no longer posting due to the barrage of immature flaming. If more people took 10 minutes to write respectful posts and help censor each other we'd probably see the board grow into a forum of much more credible information.

That has to be one of the best written analysis of message board atmospheres I have read. The ironic part is how large newschoolers is continuing to grow while PASR is essentially idle. why is that?

btw I am stealing your post and saving it.

I joined AlpineZone..I'm GrilledSteezeSandwich over there...it's a sweet site..way better than Epicski and Teton Gravity..holla

Let me just say ...AZ is AWESOME... I do lurk there often. The photos, videos and TR's are really great. That being said MY only gripe is that it seems that ski areas south of Hunter are looked down upon there and there is a notion (and this is just my opinion) that PA ski areas are seen as 400 foot verticle mole hills. For a NEW ENGLAND forum, I wouldn't expect much PA chatter but I would bet Pennsy areas like Elk, Sno, Blue Knob, and East Mt at JF would put a smile on some of those guys faces as well. Yeah we do travel north for the bigger / better stuff and I probably will again this season but areas here give me that same feeling of :rock as it does when I'm up in VT.

Edited by PA Ridge Racer

great post

As was yours..

Honestly, I think Psteeze brings more to the table than you. While he's posting up videos, and contest info, your just rambling about stupid shit like amtrak.. It gets old.

As to why the site isn't growing, I think it has alot to do with the maturity level of the people on this board. It's definatlly a big turn off to people browsing the site for the first time.

on the other hand...

well constructed letters and repsectful criticism isnt always welcome in the first place. and yes i am specifically talking about big boulder.

people like bc mark, CB craig and even ashley take into consideration every possible view. and then they comment on it. boulder just throws it in the trash can. or better yet, puts it on a wall so they can mock it every now and then. even if it is a completely legit letter voicing the opinions of the public who rides and skis at the mtn. they dont care. plain and simple.

Edited by DanSobey

i had a pretty substantial argument typed up with links, facts, opinions, and personal experience relating to boulder and why i think of them the way i do. but trevor is right...it does nothing on a message board. even off a message board nobody wants to hear it but i think its something that needs to be heard.

oh well.

Edited by DanSobey

Let me just say ...AZ is AWESOME... I do lurk there often. The photos, videos and TR's are really great. That being said MY only gripe is that it seems that ski areas south of Hunter are looked down upon there and there is a notion (and this is just my opinion) that PA ski areas are seen as 400 foot verticle mole hills. For a NEW ENGLAND forum, I wouldn't expect much PA chatter but I would bet Pennsy areas like Elk, Sno, Blue Knob, and East Mt at JF would put a smile on some of those guys faces as well. Yeah we do travel north for the bigger / better stuff and I probably will again this season but areas here give me that same feeling of :rock as it does when I'm up in VT.

Thanks for the kind words, PA RR. AZ is technically a Northeast ski site, and obviously PA qualifies. However, AZ did start as a New England site before expanding to cover NY and eventually the rest of the NE so unfortunately, there are just not a lot of PA skiers there. I would love to see more. As far as any cracking on PA ski areas, I don't see that often, aside from harmless ribbing on the Denton 66 degree triple fall line trail of doom. Hunter used to get hammered quite a bit until long time pass holders dmc and JimG. signed on to set the records straight that Hunter is a legit hill. We've had several gatherings at Hunter and now the place gets the respect it deserves.

My home hill, Ski Sundown CT, is a small 625 foot vert feeder hill, but we have a group of guys that ski there weekly on Wednesday night so that mountain is also well represented on AZ. We also got a pretty good sized Wachusett contingent. I guess my point is most AZers just like to ski and you don't have to ski the bigger NE mountains like Whiteface, Jay, Stowe, Sugarbush/MRG, Killington, Cannon, Sugarloaf or Sunday River to fit in. All are welcome.

Oh and have you heard? GSS is posting there now. He's the steeziest... ;)

Edited by AlpineZone

People are much more comfortable shelling out the criticism from the safety of of their online identity rather than taking the time to put together a well constructed letter that includes name and contact info so as to give the representative a chance to respond. However, the respectul and proper thing to do is usually the hardest/most time consuming, therefore is the least popular.

you know how far that method got me...

you dont like amtrak...then fuck you

Consider this your public warning with the liberal usage of the f-bomb on your part as of late. We've had the f-bomb discussion before, and though this is a "family" friendly Web site have decided that it is ok in certain contexts. However, examples like the one above are just unnecessary and have been occurring on a regular basis. I post this so people will know where you've gone when one of us has to ban you for a few days.

Cheers! :)

thanks.

you dont like amtrak...then fuck you

I'm not the one who got bored of snowboarding halfway thru the season

There's the maturity level i was talking about.

And damn dude, i didn't ride for a month, you must more so much more core than i am.

Edited by KnuckleDragger

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the link PARR, good stuff. Greg, thanks for stopping in and chatting a bit, it's always nice to have some interaction between sites. Completely aside from the original topic and a little late, I agree partially with the things being said about industry-insider posting and the like. While I think it's hugely valuable to have these types of folks coming on and letting us know what's up, I also think it's important to have real dialogue (this certainly doesn't include "he's an ass") with these professionals about their trade. I'd much rather have no participation, than to not allow people to criticize and ask questions, I think a "they're always right" attitude is the wrong way to go about things. I can't say I've read a ton on AZ, and I have no clue what their stance is to these type of things, so this is certainly not a bash on them.

As far as growth goes, I'm sure bits and pieces of what has been said is true. We have a relatively young (and sometimes immature) audience here. I know there are people who are turned off when they visit and see some of the shenanigans. That's when I would challenge everyone to make the site what they want it to be. Stand up for things and talk... As Greg said about his Hunter guys, 2 folks came on and changed perception on the board. People tend to have influence when they speak in the correct tone. P'steeze, as for drawing a comparison between NS and here, we've been through this a million times. First off the audience is a huge difference. NS is talking to every rebelious 9-16 year old (and you) who lives anywhere near snow. Our Niche is people who love to ski in PA. it's a much smaller market and one I'm fine with. One of our big disagreements when we worked together back in the day was that I didn't want this place to be a mass marketing machine. I wanted it to be a fun place where people could come and talk about fun skiing in and around PA. I think we achieve that. By the way, we're doubling in activity every season, which may be small growth in terms of NS or AZ, but it is certainly not "idle".

Anywho, that's my thought on the subject. Thanks for stopping in, Greg.

• 2 weeks later...
forget it. tim's a dumbass
do you know him personally? You guys go to high school together? Ever been invited over for dinner? oh yea, that must be it... he never invited you over for dinner... I'd be upset too
As was yours..Honestly, I think Psteeze brings more to the table than you. While he's posting up videos, and contest info, your just rambling about stupid shit like amtrak.. It gets old.As to why the site isn't growing, I think it has alot to do with the maturity level of the people on this board. It's definatlly a big turn off to people browsing the site for the first time.
I'm turned off