Jackson Hole vs. Steamboat

OutCold

So my friend and I have the opportunity to go out west for spring break this year. Neither of us have been out there yet. We are both competent snowboarders so challenging terrain is appealing. So far, Jackson Hole seems to be the more appealing of the two, with more snow, tougher terrain, and more vert, plus how much Doug raves about it. So basically I'm looking for opinions from people who have been to both or either resort. Thanks for helpin me out.

What's the park like at Jackson Hole? I'm sure I'll be plenty occupied by the regular terrain, but Im interested in catching some air every once in a while.

Mountain Creek in NJ sounds perfect for you, seriously though JH is better though Steamboat isn't just for families. Steamboat has really nice trees and Christmas Tree Bowl and the chutes are decent. Though not really in the same league as JH.

No don't get me wrong, I'm definately not going there for park, I was just wondering if they had anything that was worth a run or two. Im really stoked about JH, I've never been out west before. Im looking forward to the big bowls and trees. Has anyone here ever dropped into Corbets, that thing looks pretty insane?

Jackson Hole has two parks and a superpipe..that is immaculate and recut every 2-3 days. The Big park is near the base of Apres Vous and has some booters and rails..the little park has a line of 4-5 small table-tops..I've never skied Corbets and don't plan on it...mainly due to the exposure..If you mess up at the entrance..you'll ragdoll among grand piano sized boulders..I like skiing too much to risk a back-breaking injury. Corbetts is apparently easiest when the base depth is deep..because the drop-in is less...

Thanks Doug, thats all the info I was really looking for. About Corbets, I was watching videos of it and it looks ridiculous when ther's not much snow. I could see doing it if there was a really deep base with a short drop in, otherwise it just looks too risky.

Not enough bawls here to try it that's for damn sure...

I never even got over to the right side of the mountain when you are looking at it.... I spent most of my time there off of the tram and sublet lifts... and even played around off the gondola as well... the run directly underneath the gondola always seemed to have some serious powder stashes which was really surprising being as it's right there in the middle of groomer central.. everything off the tram and sublett lift just rocked.. JH just is in a league of it's own IMO

I've never skied Corbets and don't plan on it...mainly due to the exposure..If you mess up at the entrance..you'll ragdoll among grand piano sized boulders..I like skiing too much to risk a back-breaking injury. Corbetts is apparently easiest when the base depth is deep..because the drop-in is less...

Corbet's isn't that gnar all the time, depending on snow you can almost side step into it, reguarly the drop is like 10 to 20 depending on how you want to take it but with deep snow that isn't all that difficult just have to avoid the rocks.

http://www.bigmtn.com/?a=events/park_pipe Info

http://www.stumptownphoto.com/gallery_skii...id=13&num=1 This will take you to a photo store which has lots of Action fotos showing skiing and boarding, most of which will have been taken at Big Mountain.

http://www.snowboard-mag.com/node/26093 about what they are doing for the park and pipe crowd this year....not that anything NEEDS to be done, we've got the mountain already!

Doug, for the Casper Bowl part of the mountain and other parts like that that aren't lift accessible, but still in bounds, it says access through gates only on the trail map. Does that mean that to hike up there you need avalanche gear and stuff, or can you just hike up there?

Avalanche gear is recommended but not required..you can hike up the bootpack above the top of the gondola to access the headwall and the chutes above the Casper chair along with Casper bowl..you can also access this terrain from the Sublette chair by skiing ten sleep to the entranceof the cirque then hiking the boot pack to the top of the headwall..this way is more horizontal and less vertical while the bootpack above the gondola is direct but straight up..Then there's alot of backcoutry to the South of Rendevous bowl and the Hobacks..that terrain is dangerous without a guide and where alot of Teton Gravity scenes are from. This area claims the life of 1-2 skiers most years due mainly to Avalanches and cliffs..I'd love to try this area with a guide.

You lived in Jackson hole and couldn't find someone who knew their way around?

Both are great mountains. Jackson has the more difficult terrain, Steamboat gets better snow. US Ski Team Members come from Steamboat, US Freeski Memebrs come from Jackson Hole. Steamboat has great slopeside coldos, Jackson, you will prolly be in town. BBQ is a push. ;) Bumps and trees..Steamboat. Steeps and cliffs..Jackson

I will go back to both places.

No don't get me wrong, I'm definately not going there for park, I was just wondering if they had anything that was worth a run or two. Im really stoked about JH, I've never been out west before. Im looking forward to the big bowls and trees. Has anyone here ever dropped into Corbets, that thing looks pretty insane?

I know Steamboat very well. I have been to Jackson Hole twice before kids, once with girlfriend for a week and once with just my parents. Now Jackson is epic, no doubt, but really - I would suggest that you get some western experience first to really be able to enjoy your trip to Jackson at another time.

Since you have never been West before and you have the opportunity to choose. I think it would be smart would be to choose Steamboat for your first Western Trip. The boat has lot to offer in regards to having a great first western experience based on some of things you have posted in my opinion. You are probably thier exact target market. I have been there 4 times in the last 8 years. First was to meet my parents for week, second was because the kids loved it so much, the third time was Ridge and the Nastar Nationals plus family vacation in a huge ski in/out house and the last time was just Nips and I for the NextSnow Allstars Comp.

Boat and the Hole are both huge with plenty of variety, including bowls, glade skiing and a really nice self contained park, tree skiing is better at SB. Morning side bowl in the back is a hoot to goof around in and not worry about getting yourself into trouble. Both resorts have the same summit elevation, although Jackson has about 500' more vert top to botton. Snowfall averages have Jackson with 100" more than SB. (it snows(ed)a couple of inches every night at SB) The dumps of 6 inches were alway light and fluffy. I believe Jackson is colder in the valley and subject to really wierd temp inversions.

Jackson has a park, nothing compared to Steamboats but it has one. http://www.jacksonhole.com/info/ski.freeride.park.asp

Now with all that said nips will be in JH Jan 2-9th but he has sleds lined up, a bunch of cameras and crew and already has a fair amount experience with expert back country terrain and that is what he is going for.

trailMapLg.jpg

trail_map_large.jpg

Thanks for the in depth comparison Papasteeze. Its really up to my friend's family because its a trip for his dad's retirement, but Im stoked to go to either one really. I don't know when my next chance to go out west will be so I want to make it as worthwhile as possible, thats why I put my vote in for Jackson Hole. Im sure either one will be awesome in the end.

• 3 weeks later...