Start of Snow Making Contest

SkiCamelback

One of the things CB will not do is open a trail with a little coverage just to say "we are open!" It doesn't make sense to do it just to please the few peeps that are on here. They will make sure they have good coverage on a few trails (a better assortment this year) and take advantage of doing it right as opposed to just doing it. Remember, CB has to put alot more snow down because of the size and shape of the base and top areas just to get people to and from the lifts. The amount of snow we need in the base area would almost completely cover BB or BC.

makes sense. up until the last line. id like to see this proven.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im sorry im still missing the part where they have snow on the ground. tannserville never went below 33 degress and humidity kept on climbing through the night.i went on camelbacks website and the webcam is conveniently turned away from where they were "blowing snow",and their were no pictures of the snow.

Use Mount Pocono's current weather for a better comparison Camelback's weather conditions.

im sorry im still missing the part where they have snow on the ground. tannserville never went below 33 degress and humidity kept on climbing through the night.i went on camelbacks website and the webcam is conveniently turned away from where they were "blowing snow",and their were no pictures of the snow.
Look at the webcam, it seems they got a fairly decent amount of snow down on Marjies "Nice Work" to the CB snowmakers, keep it up.The accuweather forecast for Tannersville looks good for the next 2+ weeks, only a couple of nights without snowmaking.
Oh no here we go again..Remember kids Slow and Deliberate turns..and obey the code..put the bar down..now
GSS, this is getting really stale, how's the snowmaking going at Blue?

After looking at the webcam I'm 99.9999% sure that this was just blowing out the mice. CB has never and will never open with just marjie's. If they were actually trying to open they would definately have blown on some greens from top to bottom, not a black.

Take a drive or look on the webcam my friend. First gun was lit at 9:08pm last night and the wet bulb was good enough to make until early morning. Marjies has a nice coat on it as can be seen from the wbe cam.

One of the things CB will not do is open a trail with a little coverage just to say "we are open!" It doesn't make sense to do it just to please the few peeps that are on here. They will make sure they have good coverage on a few trails (a better assortment this year) and take advantage of doing it right as opposed to just doing it. Remember, CB has to put alot more snow down because of the size and shape of the base and top areas just to get people to and from the lifts. The amount of snow we need in the base area would almost completely cover BB or BC.

BB is my home mountain so yes I am biased. They are saying "preseason" open and discounted lift tickets by more than half. They are getting a lot of hype for doing so. I had mothers at parent/teacher conferences coming up to me asking me about it since they know I go up there a lot. I had a kid come home from Virginia Tech for Thanksgiving break telling me he was talking to a bunch of kids at school about it. I know BB is a small mountain so obviously CB needs more snow to have good coverage. Boulder is probably not even making any money by having one trail open, but its great PR and great for their passholders.

Mount Pocono is a higher location than Cambelback. It is usually 5 degrees colder at Mount Pocono, so that wouldn't be a good comparison.

Higher location as in higher elevation? What figures do you have for Mount Pocono vs. Camelback vs. Tannersviile for elevation? Look them up and you'll see Mount Pocono is better correlated to Camelback than Tannersville is.

Mt Pocono is no higher than the top of CB but is usually colder than Tannersville which is where CB takes it's official weather reports.

I went up to the "mountain" today, no way it's just atest. They blew pretty good cover down most of marc anthony too.

Let's hope the weather continues to co-operate.

Think about the size of the area between the Meadows chair(loading) and the big trail map in the base area. They have to put a very large amount to fill in over the "River." Now go all the way up Sullivans and Marjies (remember the width). No get to the top of Marjies from the Sullivan lift and the Bailey lift(have to have a back up chair). Then all the way down Marc and Honeymoon.

I am not "knocking" anyone else for opening early. In fact it helps get everyone in the mood. It just doesn't make a lot of sense for CB to rush into it unless the long range forecast is favorable.

As far as the slow deliberate turns....try one, It will make you a better skier. :deadhorse:

well i make snow and the do have guns that make at 31 degrees look at the mtn sure looks like we made snow to me 10-12 inches , snowmaking is not an easy job like ppl may think

Take a drive or look on the webcam my friend. First gun was lit at 9:08pm last night and the wet bulb was good enough to make until early morning. Marjies has a nice coat on it as can be seen from the wbe cam.

yeah boy marjies does i had that trail you know this!!! see ya at work bro

The amount of snow we need in the base area would almost completely cover BB or BC.

You got 50 acres of base area? really?

Mount Pocono is a higher location than Cambelback. It is usually 5 degrees colder at Mount Pocono, so that wouldn't be a good comparison.

The elevation at Camelback's base is approx. 1300 and the elevation at Mount Pocono airport is 1916. Tannersville is approx. 900'.

Okay folks.. Our house at camelback, which is just about level with top of the lifts.... we travel to Boulder regularly and temps consistently go 3 degrees lower in the winter, from summit of Camelback to parking lot of Boulder. 4-5 degree difference from parking lot to parking lot.

By my estimate and review of the Posts --DiMeThcOne with the guess of 11/15 at 8-9 pm was the closest (without being past) to the actual start of ----- 11/16 at 9:08 pm!!

Thanks to all that participated in the contest!

Keep thinkin snow!!!

thought employees were exempt?

Really?

If CB would do something like blow one trail open for the kids on laurel. Then they could do the same thing boulder is doing and help themselves get a bunch of preseason stoke going. but nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo..... why do something awesome for 1000 kids on a sat and sun, when you can wait another month and get 6000?

If CB would do something like blow one trail open for the kids on laurel. Then they could do the same thing boulder is doing and help themselves get a bunch of preseason stoke going. but nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo..... why do something awesome for 1000 kids on a sat and sun, when you can wait another month and get 6000?

Except with CBs reputation 200 kids would show up to CB and 800 would go to boulder. Also CB doesn't have tower fan guns all over the place. It seems they would need to go through way more effort for way less profit.

Our house at camelback, which is just about level with top of the lifts....

Really, which lifts? From any of the "summit" (I use the word metaphorically) lifts it looks long way down to the highest Northridge homes.

Does anyome have any real data (google earth even, of relative heights of CB and Boulder "summits"?

Either way, from Accuweather and Weather.com, forecast temps for Boulder area are always a few degrees lower than CB.

Really, which lifts? From any of the "summit" (I use the word metaphorically) lifts it looks long way down to the highest Northridge homes.

Does anyome have any real data (google earth even, of relative heights of CB and Boulder "summits"?

Either way, from Accuweather and Weather.com, forecast temps for Boulder area are always a few degrees lower than CB.

Using Google Earth, the elevation of Camelback's upper overflow lot is 1440'. Big Boulders parking lot is 1820'

why do something awesome for 1000 kids on a sat and sun, when you can wait another month and get 6000?

If it made good business sense for them to do it, they would do it. 1000 kids on Laurel Glade . . . . you really believe that 1000 kids would show up? What would 1000 kids do on Laurel Glade? Stand side by side? Yeah, that would really create some great "stoke".

I should know trail names but I don't, the houses at the highest part of Northridge are about the same level as the top of the lifts. I should know, I look out the windows and I point to the house from the slopes frequently.
1000 kids on Laurel Glade . . . . you really believe that 1000 kids would show up? What would 1000 kids do on Laurel Glade? Stand side by side? Yeah, that would really create some great "stoke".
Freedom Park is about the same size as Laurel Glade. IF CB unleashed thier marketing machine with a bunch of hype about blowing snow early for the park rats and having a lift serviced, jib filled trail open, I bet they could get slammed with way more than a 1000.
Except with CBs reputation 200 kids would show up to CB and 800 would go to boulder. Also CB doesn't have tower fan guns all over the place. It seems they would need to go through way more effort for way less profit.
you're right. I thought maybe just maybe after they saw how many turned out for thier late season rail jam last season, that they might do something progressive early season.