Everything Elk

Capitaaa!

I actually made it all the way until 4pm before me and two others had our passes pulled for being in the trees waayyy over to skiers left. Huge thanks to the very nice female patroller who caught me and didn't pull my pass around 10am, she also informed me of how strict the other patrollers were(I later found out)

:slap: . Should have listened to the first one.

The ski patrol at Elk needs to lighten up..skiing in the woods is not like robbing a bank..

And it's job security for patrolers.

Ok, we'll play. Here's a question for locals and regulars there. From going there off and over the years I know more than a few of the local watering holes and places to eat, but not this one. What's the story with the dive looking bar on Rt 374, about 1/2 mile of when you get off I81? It's on the south side of the highway, it has lettering 'Tavern' on one side and 'Lift Inn' on the other side, and the building is painted off-white with green trim. I know it's open, never see many cars there, and it looks somewhat run down. They don't seem to bother with many signs to draw people in, with one beat up yellow sign out front that looks like it's hasn't been updated in a while. But with a name like 'Lift Inn' it seems they want to have some connection to the ski crowd that comes off the Interstate highway (which is almost everyone going to the mountain).

And, it looks like there is some development occurring right off that highway interchange with a new convenience store being built. One of older my ski buddies says that would be a good spot to fix up and attract the ski crowd.

The bar on the right is called "the lift inn". It's been years since I was in the place, at that time the beer was cold, the pizza decent, and the shuffleboard table fun, but the roof was leaking. We always comment on the way into Elk, that they could have a good business if they would only fix up the joint.

The other development just off the exit is going to be a convenience store/gas station. The owners of the property are locals and will be catering to the skiers, homemade soups, sandwiches, hoagies, etc.---and a Beer distributorship!! This project has been in the works for about 2 yrs and was supposed to be opened last fall in time for this years ski season. Permitting and road engineering problems created the delay. The owners tell me they hope to be open in May, but are not holding their breath.

• 9 months later...

first post, so i figured i would reply in this thread rather than starting a new one...

we're considering a 4-day trip from maryland to the elk/sno area at the end of january. trying to avoid crowds and ice (isn't everyone in the NE???)

i skied elk a couple of times like 20 years ago, so i have a recollection of it being an intermediate-plus type of hill...which i loved at the time. however, i'm a dad now, skiing with 2 kids (8 & 6 years old) who are just starting their 2nd full season. my question: is elk too much of a mountain for them? they pretty solid wedge skiers, however, last year i was using a harness for the youngest on a trip to vermont (bromley) just to help her control speed. just looking at the elk trail map, there doesn't not seem like a great selection of green circles away from the beginners area (their skills are definitely way beyond those areas)...so how difficult are the intermediates? they can ski intermediates at liberty and roundtop, but it looks like a few of the longer intermediates at elk funnel into the bowl...i have no specific memory of the bowl...would it be too much for them?

also, would appreciate any recs for lodging (mid-to-upper tier accomodations, but less than $150 per night) to would be relatively convenient to both elk and sno

thanks in advance for your replies!

~jack

first post, so i figured i would reply in this thread rather than starting a new one...

we're considering a 4-day trip from maryland to the elk/sno area at the end of january. trying to avoid crowds and ice (isn't everyone in the NE???)

i skied elk a couple of times like 20 years ago, so i have a recollection of it being an intermediate-plus type of hill...which i loved at the time. however, i'm a dad now, skiing with 2 kids (8 & 6 years old) who are just starting their 2nd full season. my question: is elk too much of a mountain for them? they pretty solid wedge skiers, however, last year i was using a harness for the youngest on a trip to vermont (bromley) just to help her control speed. just looking at the elk trail map, there doesn't not seem like a great selection of green circles away from the beginners area (their skills are definitely way beyond those areas)...so how difficult are the intermediates? they can ski intermediates at liberty and roundtop, but it looks like a few of the longer intermediates at elk funnel into the bowl...i have no specific memory of the bowl...would it be too much for them?

also, would appreciate any recs for lodging (mid-to-upper tier accomodations, but less than $150 per night) to would be relatively convenient to both elk and sno

thanks in advance for your replies!

~jack

http://www.paskiandride.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13027 This thread covers a few places to stay, Elk's Website lists a few, too. IF the kids can handle the blues at Roundtop, they should be OK at Elk.

Welcome to PASR happyjack!

For younger kids I would probably say that Sno would be a little better for them. Elk is pretty much just like their trailmap looks like, long trails and not a lot of beginner stuff.

Sno is broken down into an upper and lower mountain. The top part is mellow, relatively straight runs that increase in difficulty as you move across the mountain to skier's right (left on the trail map). For the more adventurous, or if you just want to sneak away for a little while you can drop down the North Face and hit the steeps down there which are always a good time.

Welcome to the threads happyjack,

If your 4-day trip is a long weekend, do Elk on the weekday portion and your kids will have no problems with Elks blues. Delaware is essentially a double green. Lenape on the other side was regraded this year and should also not be a problem. Tioga is a nice long twisting beginner trail. West Slope is a nice wide slope for beginners.

Like Moe G said, Sno is flatter at the top and the kids should have no problem there. If you take them to the bottom, Lower Runaway (double blue) gets progressively steeper and has some turns at the bottom, so you don't want them to be carrying too much speed into the bottom part. Sno is never crowded, even on weekends.

For where to stay; Clarks Summit is about in the middle with easy access to I81. Look for some ski and stay deals. Kids love anyplace with an indoor pool. If it rains, visit the Lackawanna Coal Mine tour and/or the Railroad Museum in Scranton. Have fun and be sure to post a report. Always looking for objective reviews.

thanks for the friendly welcome and fast responses!

looks like we have a plan! probably get up there on thursday evening (can't work out a morning getaway...grrr!) and plan to ski sno on friday, hit elk on saturday and then play sunday be ear. any thoughts on jack frost? it's not too far off the highway, right? and we'll be headed south toward home anyway. if elk is awesome, then i wouldn't mind going in the "wrong"direction, but something headed on our route home would be nice...maybe consider blue also?

as for lodging: i was already looking in the clark's summit area and found a few places with packages. i'll make some calls over the next day or two and see if any of them are negotiating.

thanks again...and i'll definintely post a report. although, being a maryland skier, i'm a pretty forgiving reviewer...unless the runs are just hard-packed ice, i don't get too worked up about conditions. and as for crowds...if any of you ski liberty on a weekend, well...then you know what i'm used to dealng with...20 minute lift line to get a 5 minute run. ugh!

looks like we have a plan! probably get up there on thursday evening (can't work out a morning getaway...grrr!) and plan to ski sno on friday, hit elk on saturday and then play sunday be ear. any thoughts on jack frost? it's not too far off the highway, right? and we'll be headed south toward home anyway. if elk is awesome, then i wouldn't mind going in the "wrong"direction, but something headed on our route home would be nice...maybe consider blue also?

as for lodging: i was already looking in the clark's summit area and found a few places with packages. i'll make some calls over the next day or two and see if any of them are negotiating.

thanks again...and i'll definintely post a report. although, being a maryland skier, i'm a pretty forgiving reviewer...unless the runs are just hard-packed ice, i don't get too worked up about conditions. and as for crowds...if any of you ski liberty on a weekend, well...then you know what i'm used to dealng with...20 minute lift line to get a 5 minute run. ugh!

JF is about a five minute drive from the Turnpike exit. They generally have good snow and is almost always less crowded than say Blue or Camelback. I skied there on Jan 2 with my 7 year old and we had a great time. He is a parallel skier so we skied mostly the blacks and tress (they have some nice tree areas at JF). But the mountain has easier stuff to the skiers' left (looking down the mountain). Their blues are not too difficult and basically trails get more difficult as you move to the east side of the mountain (skier's right looking down the mountain). Your ticket is also good for Big Boulder which is an easier mountain full of terrain parks but usually more crowded. You can ski at night at BB so if the kids are up to it you hit both.

I haven't taken my son to Elk yet (I have been myself) but plan to take the family up there this year.

One thing I will say about JF/BB (and this applies to Elk too) is that they have old slow lifts. This is not necessarily a bad thing generally as it keeps the number of people on the slopes at any one time down which is critical on a small mountain (and even more critical when you have little kids on the hill). But it also means more difficult loading for the little ones. Best thing about detached lifts is its so much easier for the little ones to get on and off. Not sure what the kids (or you) are used to but wanted to pass this along as I know what a pain it is to get a little one onto a lift.

If you are looking to stay closer to the city(Scranton) for more things to do after the skiing there are a few hotels that run some specials with Sno. I've never compared prices of the package (hotel+lift ticket) to the non-package deals, but i'm sure it'd save a few dollars at least. There are a couple hotels a very short drive from Sno ( the closest being at the foot of the mountain-about a 5 minute drive away), that are listed on this website : http://www.snovacations.com/

As already stated Sno is rarely busy (aside from the holiday weekends), you usually won't find a lift line longer than a minute or two. There are 5 easy/intermediate trails open at the top of Sno right now (not including the one trail that originally was a circle but now has terrain park features). More are expected to be open for the weekend if the snowmaking temps are right.

I've only been to elk a couple times (and they have been early season trips) so i don't have much to say about it. I do like all the pines they have up there, they make for a nice ride up the lifts. Some nice trails up there though, but i don't recall how they are for beginners. But access isn't as convenient as Sno, and can be difficult to make it to in a snow storm (at least when it's your friends first time driving in snow and he has a rear wheel drive truck van..)

plan to ski sno on friday, hit elk on saturday and then play sunday be ear. any thoughts on jack frost?

The only thing I would recommend, for the least crowds, is Jack Frost Fri., Sno on Sat., and Elk on Sun. You could reverse Elk and Sno but Sno will definitely be the least crowded and JF the most crowded on the weekend. Also, Sno often doesn't run the Long Haul lift on weekdays. Not that you'll ride it much because it is an 11+ min. ride but it is a nice break now and then. Have fun!

thanks to all for the recs.

jf on friday makes sense...i've heard it's busier than the other two. how much of a difference (typically) in crowds will there be at sno vs elk on saturday? from a logistics perspective, sno would be better for us on sunday, since it's on the way home. going to elk (on sunday) would mean an hour more in the car...and an hour less time on the slopes.

i guess my only "problem" is finding a lodging deal that will get me lift tix to jf, sno and elk...not a showstopper, but if i can save on lift tix x4 people, x3 days...well that's gonna add up pretty quickly. i'll keep looking and calling around, but if anyone knows of one, pls let me know.

it dawned on me last night as i was checking out lodging and trying to plan which mtns for which days, that i did almost this exact same trip with a high school group back in the 80s: montage, jf, bb and elk. you guys are lucky to have some many options within a short drive...

cheers!

Edited by happyjack

thanks to all for the recs.

jf on friday makes sense...i've heard it's busier than the other two. how much of a difference (typically) in crowds will there be at sno vs elk on saturday? from a logistics perspective, sno would be better for us on sunday, since it's on the way home. going to elk (on sunday) would mean an hour more in the car...and an hour less time on the slopes.

i guess my only "problem" is finding a lodging deal that will get me lift tix to jf, sno and elk...not a showstopper, but if i can save on lift tix x4 people, x3 days...well that's gonna add up pretty quickly. i'll keep looking and calling around, but if anyone knows of one, pls let me know.

it dawned on me last night as i was checking out lodging and trying to plan which mtns for which days, that i did almost this exact same trip with a high school group back in the 80s: montage, jf, bb and elk. you guys are lucky to have some many options within a short drive...

cheers!

Not sure if you will find lodging with discounted tickets to all three mountains. Some ski shops, like Buckmans, sell discounted vouchers that can save you a few bucks per ticket. Not sure how you are coming or your timing but there is a Buckmans store right off the King of Prussia exit to the Turnpike.

Edited by GolfingOwl

Personally, I prefer Elk over any other place in Eastern PA. If your kids can do a green slope that is beyond a bunny slope, then Elk lets you have top to bottom skiing. The Tioga/West slope run is great for them. Ride the lift all the way to the top. The summit views are amazing.

If they can do blues then that opens up the Delaware trail on the one side and the long lenape/Schyukill/Wissahickon trails on the other side. I just spent two days at Elk with skiers of all ability levels and everyone had a blast.

Jack Frost is not bad, but avoid on a weekend. SNO does get crowded, but only on the green trails right in front of the lodge.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...