Boulder in May

How long do you think BB will stay open? I'm hearing late May if the snow stays is this true

Last year they had over a 100" inch base. This year it's about half of that. At least that's according to the website. It would be nice if they would stay open that late, but interest really drops off.

How long do you think BB will stay open? I'm hearing late May if the snow stays is this true

What is the latest season that BB has ever had?

I wonder which trail will be the last one standing?

I hope it's LOVE park/Merry Widow.

If BB stays open till late May,

I will be EXTREMELY happy.

I doubt they will see late May. May Day is scheduled for the 3rd I think. I would say that would be it. Last season the few weekends in April they were opened were completely dead. It was almost eerie riding around not seeing another person, very quiet. Most people hang up their skis at the end of February. No one is spending any money at Boulder in April, its mainly season passholders.

And as BDK said last season they had 100" base.

Edited by Barb

I would say unquestionably the last trail open will be Boulder park, they can push those jumps out for ages. The tables have to be 40' deep at points. The drop in ramp at the top has more snow than all but 1 of Camelback's jumps. I'll be going till they close though thats for sure, I LOVE spring riding.

As for LOVE, I'm a bit disappointed with LOVE park at the moment, it was definitely better last year. And I didn't see first hand but I'd differ to BigDaddyK that there was more snow last year, It is far from thin this year but last season was loaded late with cold and snow and this year has kind of been a rollercoaster from start to finish.

They will stay open as long as they are selling tickets and have snow to service a top to bottom run. Figure they will probably go to a weekend operation if there aren't ticket sales.

SO

Spread the word, the sickest time to ride there for park rats will be April. last year they moved the jibs to Bunny's schuss which makes for a long run of jib after jib after jib.

and please, don't try an poach it, that crap is what ruins it for everyone when they start considering whether or not to stay open. In other words they don't want to stay open just to chase kids ripping them off.

BTW a season pass now is good for the nearly 2 months that is left in the season plus next year. They are $350 and optomistically 9 weekends left till Mayday that equals $20 per trip. $20 is the off season rate if I remember right.

So, think about it, if you go to boulder for the rest of the season on the weekends at a rate around $20 per day..... you will be able to ski the entire whole season next year for free!

Does Boulder really have half the base as last season? It makes no sense since this winter has been colder than last???

According to their website. I haven't been there in a while, but the last time I was there it did look a lot less than last year.

...Last season the few weekends in April they were opened were completely dead. ...

I was there every weekend last April and I thought the crowds were pretty good, for that time of year and what they were offering. They don't have the snowmobile races, so that means they could keep more open. That also might be why they didn't blow as much. It took a lot of snow to push around, to make the course.

The last time I was at Boulder I hit up the bar after my last run and got talking to one of the groomers, he said they were going to try and stay open until may. He did say that without the snow mobile races they would save alot of snow. I hope they do stay open that late, it would be insane to be riding in pa in may.

you're right a 6 month ski season is totally unheard of for a mid atlantic ski area. Maybe for places up north like Jay or Wildcat or Tremblant. Could you imagine the publicity if they could actually pull this off? November 10th to May 10th - RAD!!! I'm looking at 1 million vert this year so this would pretty much guarrantee it!!

They will stay open as long as they are selling tickets

this is true. most ski areas in PA don't close because of a lack of snow, they close when the people stop showing up. boulder has enough firepower to blow enough snow to stay open well into may if they wanted to. It just doesen't make economic sense to do so. my guess is JF will close 3/30/08 and BB will close for midweek skiing the same time, and open on weekends through 4/13/08, then of course, there is mayday.

Jordan

BB will close for midweek skiing the same time, and open on weekends through 4/13/08, then of course, there is mayday.

Word is they are playing it by ear, as the the news gets out that Boulder is still open, more will come as they did last year.. Lots of kids are already talking about it. If sales are there they will go to MAYDay on the weekends.

Figure only one lift operating for boulder trail and bunnys schuss. Closing will happen once the snow cant' be connected to the lifts .

this is true. most ski areas in PA don't close because of a lack of snow, they close when the people stop showing up. boulder has enough firepower to blow enough snow to stay open well into may if they wanted to. It just doesen't make economic sense to do so. my guess is JF will close 3/30/08 and BB will close for midweek skiing the same time, and open on weekends through 4/13/08, then of course, there is mayday.

Jordan

Maybe it doesn't make economic sense for those who think short term only. but November 10th - May 10th. Could you imagine the publicity that a 6 month season in the mid atlantic region would generate? And the impact on future season pass sales? Group Sales? Limit the days open to weekends only, Limit the parks and trails to two or three. And advertise a 6 months season on the Northeast Extension for all to see!