Blue 1-15-09 reportttttt

toast21602

Just got back from a great day at Blue; probably the best day that i have had at Blue in a while. Since it has been so cold, everything has been staying nice and fresh with no thaw at all. the snow was great, grooming was great, and the inch of snow they got just made it that much better. the quality of the snow was perfect, but i guess its hard to mess up when its 15 degrees outside. the park was closed for snow making and reshaping, which is fine with me because they have a ton of snow in there that they have to play with and things are starting to look pretty good. the jumps look pretty massive, but still, do not seem to be what everybody is asking for: step-overs.

n39300404_30776456_266.jpg

n39300404_30776457_606.jpg

i took my old camera up but i didnt take too many pictures because it was pretty damn cold outside. razors was closed for snow making and a lot of that snow was blowing over to the top of challenge which made it so good. it was definitely the run of the day. didn't hit a patch of ice or anything anywhere today.

n39300404_30776458_905.jpg

n39300404_30776455_9921.jpg

i wish there were more people up there to ride with because i would have stayed later, but i need to go look for a new car today so it works out. anyway, go up to Blue today because conditions are freakin' great.

go enjoy.

Nice..hopefully there's a stepdown with two different lips..they had one of those 3 years ago near the beginning of Sidewinder and it was sick. I'm not skiing today after school..I need to take my car in to get serviced so I'll most likely be out there tomorrow afternoon..

don't say silly things like that.

big jumps that are not stepovers up there worry me. we're going to get a remake of the "73' jump" from a few years ago... a massive beautiful lip, with all of 10 feet of landing to work with, which equals disaster, as can be evidenced by ski patrol cleaning up the wreckage after the bottom jump on any given weekend for the rest of the season. please make safe jumps for once?

I'm ignorant when it comes to the terrain park..if you have a spare minute..can you describe why Stepovers are better than Stepdowns??? To me they look more intimidating..

There are a few reasons, the main one being that they allow trying riskier tricks in a much safer manner. There is a lot less consequence involved because as soon as you leave the lip you are not falling back to earth, but rather the earth (in beautiful landing form) is coming up to greet you with a smooth cushiony welcome (as opposed to the smack of ice that Blue locals are all too familiar with). With a well built stepover (steep landing and nice lip), you can just about land on your head and be fine. They don't even have to be super big to be a lot more fun than a relatively big stepdown.

You're exactly right that they often do look more intimidating, and that is why many people have such a big problem with them. It is something that doesn't look right to people whose idea of jumps until now has been their kid setting up a plastic skate ramp on the steepest part of their driveway with. However, they are all about speed. All one needs to do is watch someone hit it first so that they know where to start from to get the right speed, and viola, even Doug Slifkin is throwing cork 5s...

Check out this video. The style goal in modern park skiing with respect to jumping is basically riding away from the jump like you've never left the ground, so that you can get in that all important "afterbang." Stepovers make this sooooo much easier. The jump in the video is built as a stepover, even though its got a relatively big lip.

http://www.freeskier.com/articles/article....article_id=3060

Great news. Blue has awesome jumps. I was up there w/ park crew today getting a look as a few others hit them, and they look really really fun. Three jump line, seems like decent spacing between them, nice transitions on the take offs and they go about 30-35 into 40-45 into 50-55. Here are a few shitty pics i snapped w/ my cell. I'm actually excited to be riding park at blue for once.

1232059102-729363-600x450-1232059083DSC00058.JPG

1232059235-729366-600x450-1232059067DSC00057.JPG

1232059260-729367-600x450-1232059049DSC00056.JPG

anyone who plans to be there saturday, please post up the jump conditions after you get home.

might stop by on sunday to get some different footage.

Thanks!

i'll probably be up there saturday with justo, kt, and the gang. i'm really not feelin' frost right now since i would have to buy a ticket and i miss skiing sidewinder.

I'm ignorant when it comes to the terrain park..if you have a spare minute..can you describe why Stepovers are better than Stepdowns??? To me they look more intimidating..

They look intimidating but they are not. Just to back up what was already described as a step over, this was from a report I wrote describing a step over.

------------- opened with 2 jumps tonight at 5 pm. ---------- did a great job with building hybrid step over style jumps. These jumps, the first at ~30' and the second at ~50 lip to knuckle, have the knuckles of the jump higher than the lip. These are great jumps in that, just after the apex of the flight you pass over the knuckle. Essentially, if you end up short, you aren't dropping out of the sky from 20' and wrecking yourself. They are forgiving and great for learning those bigger tricks.

Since I've only got about 28 days of free gasoline left, I decided I'm going to hit Blue Mountain as often as I can after work, so today I left the office a little after 4pm and arrived at Blue around 5:40. It was 12 degrees. Nordica/Subaru were on the hill today. I took my 1st run down Dreamweaver. There was a few icy spots, but good. It was awesome to finally ski it. I've really been thinking about adding to my quiver, so I decided to play with the Nordica demo's. Here's my short demo report

Top Fuel (78 width) - Loved this ski. Great carving, very stable, feels longer then it really is.

Jet Fuel (84 width) - 2nd favorite. A very unforgiving ski, but the ski felt like it was really working with you to keep you in the right position. If you moved right, the ski rewarded you.

Hellcat (90 width) - Not the right ski for a frozen Blue mountain.

Challenge was closed for racing and Razor's edge was getting groomed out, so I basically skied Paradise, Dreamweaver and Lazy Mile. I ran into Gorganzola aka Mbike-Mike and Mrs Snobunski and rode the lift with them once, but they were heading over to Main St and I wanted to take another run down Lazy Mile with the demo's. I skied 12 runs for 13,800 feet of vert. It was 6 degrees out when I left....brrrrr

I'd rather have less lip and more drop....Booted out

than

More Lip..less drop...Booted Up...

I miss the old tabletops/cheese wedges and step downs...

I'm a big puss.... I don't like anything bigger than the lips to get onto a rail or box...

oh and I just do the doshnozz jump off the side of them and not onto the rail or box, because I'm scared of that shit.

(I've done boxes before though I hate the icy ruts at the end of those things so I just skip them)

Did I mention that I'm a big fat puss....lol

nice night out - nothing like a few bump runs and some nastar to keep you toasty on a single digit night at blue. mrs snowbunski hit paydirt with a silver, i seem to be stuck in a bronze quagmier - time for a wax change. i don't think this mike myers pacessetter is helping my handicap this year. saw root demo'ing some nordicas and johnny style was running gates at nastar. you gotta love having the mountain pretty much to yourself on a thursday night in january !

root, you might have liked the hellcats a little more if you had gotten on something where the extra width/stiffness would reward you with more stability. granted, they're really not necessary for blue at all, but i think you would have had more fun on them on challenge or razors where you could have exerted more force on them.

Justo, you're probably right. They're not exactly what I'm looking for in a new ski, but I love to try out anything. I'm really looking for something between 78 and 85. The Jet Fuel kinda had that force/reward factor going for them

People are slow to get to JF so no rush...you could probably sleep in a little later. It's longer miles then Blue, but it might only take 15 more minutes due to taking the turnpike more.

It's not that. I mean we might get up farther than Blue...

Are there any high speed lifts at JF? Are we strictly at JF, or would we venture to BB?

Chippy where have you been for the past week when we were all planning tomorrows PASR day at Jack Frost??? I'm not going to be at Blue tomorrow..I'll be at Jack Frost with about 20 PASRs...you should come as well..10AM top of the exhibition lift..

IDK where i was...

Is Exhibition a high speed?