Powder Skis

snoskier

I'm heading out to Utah and wanted to get some opinions on powder skis. I've never skied a fat ski and was wondering if there are any strong opinions on regular vs fat skis. I ski on a 118-76-104 right now and will bring them with me.

I've never done anything above the knees, but it looks like I might have the opportunity as it is supposed to dump all next week.

Thoughts???

Snoskier

I've been on my Bacons a few days which are 114 underfoot and I love them for out here. When there's no snow I'm usually in the park, so these guys are only seeing action in the fresh really. Don't be afraid to rip with fat skis though. I thought these things were way fat but I was ripping some groomers in them the other day....really versatile ski. Even handles the bumps well.

Seriously I can carve on my 110 underfoot Nordica Blowers but it's a hell of alot more effort than carving on my 67 underfoot Elan S12s or my 88 underfoot Rossi Scratchs..100+ underfoot and groomers is alot of work..what is reverse reverse??? Reverse camber and??

Reverse camber and reverse sidecut. Like the Lib Banana Hammock, or I think Moment makes a reverse sidecut ski.

Sidecut is only useful on groomers as you aren't carving in real pow, for the most part its a real hindrance as the tails and tips are keeping you from being able to really pivot the ski. Straight logic tells you that most of the weight you put on a ski is directly underfoot and therefore in a powder only ski having the widest part of the ski in the shovels is retarded. You certainly want to get face shots but flotation is super important. The main drawback is that they don't carve at all and can be a little more tricky when it comes to traversing or side stepping but its a pow only ski so who cares. Some manufactures have experimented with multiple sidecuts to retain at least some hard snow skills. The ARG and DPS 138 both have 1mm of sidecut directly underfoot so you can at least make it back to the lift.

Camber is the real dealio, a lot of companies are using multiple cambers on non pow skis such as Armada's elf tech and some of the Moment skis.

But for pow there is really no reason to have the tips and tails lower than the underfoot. You want the ski to float and avoid the dreaded tip dive. Everyone no matter how well they ski has to some degree change their stance when its super deep or more thick as a result of water content. Skiing from the back seat is tiring as is dangerous as well. With reverse camber you can't sink the tips, I have ARG's and have tried and its just not possible, you can stay in a more aggressive forward stance and really slash and burn. If you ski pow or chop or sun crust on rev-rev and your body is on a conventional pow ski, he stands no chance. They are long and fat but the lack of sidecut means they pivot with great ease so they make a really great tree ski, lots of EC tree skiers still rock spats.

Seriously 100% reverse reverse in pow is what shaped skis was to hardpack, once you make the change you'll never go back.

There are a ton of skis out there with fun shapes. (not all are rev-rev but they all have rev camber or sidecut)

Armada JP vs Julien, ARG, Alpha 1 and 2

4frnt EHP

Atomic Bent Chetler

BD Megawatt

Praxis Pow

DPS Lotus 138

K2 hellbents, obsethed, Pontoon

Moment Reno Rocker, Comi and Komi-cazi

Volkly chopsticks, Kuro, Spats, (New Mantra)

Rossi S7

Solly Rockers

Movement Flyswatters, Movement Goliath

Edited by Johnny Law

FWIW... I had my PE's (179 long and 85 underfoot) as well as my Firstbloods (180 long and 91 underfoot) and I knew I had made a bad choice on day 1 when I literally had my ass handed to me at Steamboat in 20+ of heavy wet ass snow. Day 2 I spent trying to recover on Groomers and hardpack most of the day... and day 3 at Winter Park Glenn beat the shit out of what was left of me when my legs were completely gone...

Demo the fatties...

Reverse Reverse ski for hardback.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

no

reverse reverse is only good in very deep powder.

normal sidecut is nice to have in crud and wind loaded goodness, GS turns are not reserved just for groomers.

Edited by jordan

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

no

reverse reverse is only good in very deep powder.

normal sidecut is nice to have in crud and wind loaded goodness, GS turns are not reserved just for groomers.

Go back and read again fuckknob, I don't know what school you go to but go ask for your money back.

First post

Reverse Reverse and 100-110 ski for hardback ( see that indicates that you should bring two skis one rev-rev and one 100-110 for hardpack)

As for your second post re the EHP notice I wrote this - There are a ton of skis out there with fun shapes. (not all are rev-rev but they all have rev camber or sidecut)

Its from the same post you quoted

Go back and read again fuckknob, I don't know what school you go to but go ask for your money back.

First post

Reverse Reverse and 100-110 ski for hardback ( see that indicates that you should bring two skis one rev-rev and one 100-110 for hardpack)

As for your second post re the EHP notice I wrote this - There are a ton of skis out there with fun shapes. (not all are rev-rev but they all have rev camber or sidecut)

Its from the same post you quoted

Your first post could have been taken both ways, i apologize. Plus, its not hard to figure out what school I go to. Still, though, if you are sporting 2 pairs of skis, 110 uf for a hardpack ski is a little much.

The EHP has neither reverse sidecut nor reverse camber, so your second post was wrong.

Your first post could have been taken both ways, i apologize. Plus, its not hard to figure out what school I go to. Still, though, if you are sporting 2 pairs of skis, 110 uf for a hardpack ski is a little much.

The EHP has neither reverse sidecut nor reverse camber, so your second post was wrong.

No No your right and I should be the one apologizing. Yesterday was a very bad day in a month of bad days at work. My previous comment to you was childish and unnecessary. Again my apologies.

The EHP has no camber out of the box so while your certainly right I would still characterize it as a fun shape.

Different strokes for different folks.