Feasibility of an Elk Pass

OutCold

I love Elk. It's obviously the best mountain in PA not considering park. I'm seriously considering getting a pass there this year. I live in Warminster and last year I had a pass at CB. I would go up on Saturdays and get there for opening at 7:30. It took me and hour and a half to get there. It looks like Elk would be about 45 min further. I don't really mind the extra drive. I'm leaning toward doing Elk. I can't seem to find a real downside other than the longer drive. It is a bit more expensive, but I think it's worth it. I just found myself getting kinda bored with CB by the end of the season last year. I was thinking about getting a pass at Blue this year to change things up, but I can easily see myself getting bored there faster than CB. Plus I'd have to deal with all of those crazy Blue passholders clogging up the VIP line.

If anyone has any opinions or has experience having a pass at Elk when you're a little over 2 hours away, I'd appreciate it. Thanks

• Like 2

It takes me 1:30 to get to Blue or CB and 2:20 to get to elk.

As far as the pass being worth it, I go once a weekend plus several other days throughout the season. I'm not as concerned about the pass paying for itself, I'm planning on racking up at least 15 days this season.

I'm basically trying to determine if the terrain is worth the extra drive time

A SP is usually paid off in 13-15 weekend/holiday days. Our gang skis three days a week usually Wed. Sat. and Sundays. Weekdays you own the mtn., it's like your own private resort. Sat. is the busiest day of the weekend. Sundays a lot of the customers only buy a morning ticket and it's less crowded after lunch. Even on busy weekends, if you get there for early chairs, you can ski until 10:30-11:00 before a 7-10 minute line (excluding MLK and Presidents wknds).

SP holders don't need to ride the Elk wagon, they can park in the top corner of the lower lot and ride the quad, to start the day (when the quad side is open). The other way to avoid the Elk wagon is to buy a parking pass which gets you into the top lot. The PP should be purchased during Octoberfest weekend and that is also the last day to get a SP at the lowest rate. Not having to stand in line to get a day pass is also a time saver.

Elk also sells a "big and friendly" book, which can save you $$. If you don't think you'll be able to ski enough days to make a SP pay off. We did this for a few years, check out elkskier.com for details. Unfortunately, Elk doesn't update their rates until mid to late Sept usually, so the website info won't be exact until then, but you can get an idea anyway.

This is the way we look at it--The first run costs us $695 (current SP cost) and the rest of the runs that season are FREE!

Hope this helps. And if you decide on getting a pass, look us up in our reserved bar seats when it gets too crowded.All the bartenders know Stu, Herm, and Big Al.

It takes me 1:30 to get to Blue or CB and 2:20 to get to elk.

As far as the pass being worth it, I go once a weekend plus several other days throughout the season. I'm not as concerned about the pass paying for itself, I'm planning on racking up at least 15 days this season.

I'm basically trying to determine if the terrain is worth the extra drive time

Gee, that's hard to answer, if you've skied Elk you know it's hard to beat (in PA) when the whole mtn is open. I think a better way to look at it is the snow conditions, compared to other PA mtns. My personal opinion is the grooming can't be beat, the bumped trails are legit, and if there's fresh powder, not everything gets groomed out immediately. If there is a freezing rain, icy weather pattern Elk can recover very quickly. I don't think I've ever skied the infamous Blue "death cookies" at Elk. So terrain is very good, but conditions are usually excellent.

ive got to hit elk again on my way back from greek peak one day. its been quite a few years since i skiid it but i just don't remember it being as great as everyone makes it out to be. i remember it being good but thinking that the lifts/layout, drive and ticket cost sort of offset the overall eperience :confused

• Like 1

I haven't skied there since 10th grade..Blue has longer runs...maybe Elk is a tiny bit steeper..lifts are slow..prices high..snowmaking marginal..I remember it taking a long time for runs to get open..they do average 70 inches of snowfall a year....

I'm a big fan of backwoods ski areas. I like the feel of an empty mountain. For instance, a few years ago I went to Killington and did a day at Pico. I had a lot more fun over at Pico because the place was empty. I'm also a big fan of Gore up in the Adirondacks.

Last season I found my main reason for leaving the mountain by 11:00am wasn't because I was tired of skiing, it was because I didn't feel like dealing with all of the people and the long lift lines.

To me, there's a lot of value in having the place not be crowded.

I thought about getting a pass to Elk about 3 seasons ago and I'm about 65 miles away. I just couldn't justify driving a little over an hour (any paying $100 plus more) on a consistent basis to ski with Frost so close by. Plus any after work night sessions would be completely out of the equation since the last thing I want to do is drive 65 miles after work.

But your scenario is a little different so it may work out for you. You'll be driving up every weekend anyway and only adding about 40 minutes. Just pop in another CD and your there. If your used to weekends at CB, Elk on a Saturday is going to feel like you have the place to yourself. Plus, in my humble opinion, CB doesn't compare to Elk. I say go for it. You can host a PASR day up there. And if you decide against it, the JF crew are a welcoming bunch :D

if anyone ever sees any elk ticket deals or discounts let me know

If you have a college ID you can ski on Wed from early Jan to mid March for $15 or $20. The deal is called wild Wednesdays. There are several dates when Buckmans and other Philly ski shops have discount tiekets for certain dates available. Those days are also posted on Elks website.

If any PASRs want a tour of the mtn on Wed or weekends during the season PM me and we'll show you around.

what are crowds like at Elk on the weekends..Outcold I'm sure I could rally some PASRs to join you at Elk. Another drawback to me aside from the driving and slow lifts is the lack of people to ski and ride with. At Blue I know like 50 people..while at backwoods places I don't have anybody to ski with although I make impromptu ski partners real easily..

GSS, from reading your posts over the years, a typical weekend at Blue sounds like Presidents weekend at Elk. Most weekends at Elk are far less crowded. I've talked to many people who used to ski CB, Blue, etc. who now ski Elk to avoid the crowds. As I said previously look me up and I'll give you a tour.

I may take you up on a Wednesday AM.

If it's on one of those Wild Wednesday days, I'll be able to get you a discount ticket without being a college student.

Edit: ditto to you Toast, didn't see your reply until I responded to AH.

Edited by rummy

I thought about getting a pass to Elk about 3 seasons ago and I'm about 65 miles away. I just couldn't justify driving a little over an hour (any paying $100 plus more) on a consistent basis to ski with Frost so close by. Plus any after work night sessions would be completely out of the equation since the last thing I want to do is drive 65 miles after work.

But your scenario is a little different so it may work out for you. You'll be driving up every weekend anyway and only adding about 40 minutes. Just pop in another CD and your there. If your used to weekends at CB, Elk on a Saturday is going to feel like you have the place to yourself. Plus, in my humble opinion, CB doesn't compare to Elk. I say go for it. You can host a PASR day up there. And if you decide against it, the JF crew are a welcoming bunch :D

I do around a 90 minute / 80 mile drive to Blue. I find the more I take the drive, the easier it gets. Just don't plan on getting home early ;)

Insane and worth it Doug... I wouldn't mind seeing some more press and action here from our fellow PASRs... Maybe we will get some more steezy TRs... I'll definitely be coming up to tour a couple times this upcoming season... Elk has a special corner of my hear reserved just for it...

I'm 78% Elk at this point. Like PA Ridge Racer said, I'm already driving an hour and a half anyway, whats another 40 minutes. It's totally worth not having to deal with the mad crowds.

I can't believe so many of you haven't been to elk...... its like Vermont without the drive........ and like 1000' of vert

If you have come to grips with the drive and price of the pass, then the biggest detractor is going to be the uncertainty of the season. While they have a much colder climate than the rest of the Pokes (since they are actually in the "Endless Mountain" region), they dont have as big a customer base so their opening and closing dates are uncertain. Your definitely not going to get the longest season in NEPA in, even though they could easily pull that feat off... Look for the mountain to open around the second weekend in December and close the Third weekend in March. I have seen the season start the first weekend in December and go through the first weekend in April before though... Not sure if they have ever posted a November opening...

elks terrain is really fun. some really long and interesting trails, but for me to get a season pass there, they need to open up some woods. i know its beating a dead horse, but seriously. if they get so much more snow than other PA resorts, show that off and open some damn woods.