Seriously, WTF is with this Weather?

Ride Delaware ?

The problem is when it gets "cold" the lows are only around 27 to 29 degrees. That's marginal for making snow and those temps will probably be reached very early in the morning for a very short period of time, which means little time for snowmaking. Then during the day it warms up to melt whatever little bit of snow was made. As time goes on I'm starting to think this is the first time in history a long term forecast was accurate.

January 3rd low of 9 high of 41 with some ice for mount pocono.

Well Johnny law said its bound to get cold due to low sun angel lol

And the season that never happens isn't gonna be a one time thing. It's gonna be a more common occurance in PA as global temperatures rise.

Freedom is gonna be bare by tomorrow.

What's a sun angel?

I left the Bush yesterday and we lost a ton of snow from Sunday into Monday. Lots of bare spots opening up. There's just no snow to push around. We pushed out the small amount we had to get it t2b. It held for two weeks with some small resurfacing windows, but it's starting to dwindle fast. Things look real bleak through Thursday night. Organgrinder and Downspout will hold, but Ripcord, Jester, and the lower mountain runout might not make it. This upcoming snowmaking window is promising, but it looks like another week in the 40s after that.

To the extent it causes bigger temp swings it is possible winters could be less predictable. My point is that the amount of warming will not ruin local skiing in our lifetimes. Fluctuations can help as easily as they can hurt.

It's not going to raise the temps to the point were skiing is impossible or everyone dies from the heat alone. The temp rise will certainly not be uniform but that's not the actual problem.

The problem is everything we do, human existence to some extent is predicated on certain patterns of weather and those are long gone at least for the moment. The last two years were exceptionally cold in the NE which was because of warming in the upper atmosphere and a relatively weak jet stream. This year it's shit because of warming in the pacific, both can and likely do have the same root cause. 

Humans society is a result of predictability, we need it to rain in the same areas year after year with essentially the same amounts, you can't pick up and move the entire Midwest.

It's not temp rise it's all the other things that go along with the increased volatility, what good is cold air if 20 mil people in Bangladesh are now dead and another 50mil have created a refugee crisis the likes of which the world has never seen. What use is snow making if you have a global finical system under serious pressure in say the scenario above ?

If you concentrate only on the increased warmth of GCC you miss the point. We have never done this before by any stretch of the imagination no one knows a whole hell of alot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Couple days of coldish air on the way, Blue should get some at least marginal blowing in.

Even Killington the beast of the east is hurting badly. This is from alpinezoneattachicon.gifimage.png

There are currently over 500 PSIA instructors up there for the week taking their level 1 and 2 exams.... Serious people making serious turns!

Pic of lower skylark this past Sunday. By Monday it had a lot of dirt showing. Bumps were awesome though

post-3245-14502120296161_thumb.jpg

Looking at the long range I'll be surprised if there's skiing at Blue before I go to Jackson hole on the 24th

Then stop looking, it is what it is.  Thats what i have done and my mental state is better.  Plus work is keeping busy, which is unusual for December.  

• Like 1