January 2011 Jackson Hole Trip Report Thread

AtomicSkier

It's getting late...where's todays JH trip report. :nana

Sorry Jay....not too much to report about yesterday. It was my friends Oscar and Peter's first day at JH...they fell in love I think, even without any fresh snow. We did managed to find some untracked for plenty of turns in the Hobacks. I have them the grand tour. We took the first tram up, Rendezvous bowl, GSS Woods, the cirque, grand woods, Laramaie Bowl, Amphiteathre, the hobacks, Casper bowl, moran face/woods, saratoga, and a few other areas. Gave them a general overview of the mountain. 5" more fell upon us today, so today will be a picture day. Our FC upgrades cleared for tomorrow, and there is new snow....JADIP.

Well...final day at Jackson Hole. We woke up to a snow report of 5" since the lifts closed. At the low temps, it was bound to be light...and it was :) First run was some woods down into Ampitheatre, which had at least 6" of fluffy stuff on top. Up thunder and 3rd tracks down Laramie Bowl with the full 6" on top. Was nice ripping huge turns in the pow down Laramie. Let's see what we did today...Grand Woods, Laramie Bowl, Cheyenne Bowl, Cheyenne Woods, the Cirque, Hobacks, Moran Woods/Face...and some other stuff. We did a rinse and repeat a few times. Great lunch at the Alpenhof. The hobacks were skiing the best I've ever seen them. Untracked at 11:45am all the way down to the cat track. It was heaven. Moderate temps, sun poking through the clouds, and a great group of friends. My friend Oscar and his friend Peter are great skiers and is fun ripping through the trees with them. Jackson Hole is pretty special...but can either have terrible conditions due to the sun exposure baking everything or great conditions when a surprise storm rolls through. I'll be back in 4 weeks on Friday. I'm back in the room now relaxing. My new boots are 100% more comfortable after only 18 days on them compared to my old Lange's during my trips out west last year. Can't wait to ski them on February at JH again. For now, that's all. My FC upgrade cleared tomorrow from Jackson to O'hare which takes off around 12:50pm MST...back in Bethlehem around 10pm. See everyone at Blue this weekend!

Oh...the POTD...Peter in Cheyenne Woods...JADIP

img9.jpg

u slacked a little on posting where you ate and what you ate? How was dinner last night at the four seasons?

Dinner at the four seasons was great...we ate at "The Peak" which is where we had lunch. They have a build your own burger option that was better then Emril's Burgers @ the Sands. I had a Buffalo burger (med rare), blue cheese, boar bacon, arugula, caramelized onions and jalepenos and sweet potato fries. We had a few bottles of wine, and some appetizers and desserts. Pricey, sure, but awesome food. Everything was phenomenal. :wiggle

Dinner at the four seasons was great...we ate at "The Peak" which is where we had lunch. They have a build your own burger option that was better then Emril's Burgers @ the Sands. I had a Buffalo burger (med rare), blue cheese, boar bacon, arugula, caramelized onions and jalepenos and sweet potato fries. We had a few mugs of beer, and some appetizers and desserts. Pricey, sure, but awesome food. Everything was phenomenal. :wiggle

fixed it for you.

• Like 1

I'm betting if you don't at least have an appreciation for wine, you probably don't have much of an appreciation for beer except it gets you drunk and it's perceived as more manly than wine.

Agree.

I find wine to have much more subtle flavors, and really forces you to have a discerning palate. On the occasions when I do drink microbrews (Snake River Brewery in J for example) I analyze the beers that I drink much like I do wine, although while I think beers tend to be less subtle in hiding their layers of flavor and texture, it certainly makes it easier if you can appreciate wine.