Accuweather Preliminary Winter Forecast

Ride Delaware ?

Well, Accuweather released its preliminary forecast a couple days ago. I will link it below. I generally believe Accuweather is a load of crap, trends its snow forecasts too high, and its low temperatures too low, but I figured I would post it for stoke. If its correct, we could have a heck of a year. Don't count on it though...

Accuweather Winter 2011/2012 Preliminary Forecast

Well, I hope it's right, but how accurate has this guy been? Also, if you read the link, it doesn't sound COLD and here we need COLD to kill off the spruce bud worm that is DESTROYING our trees!! Two years in a row and if a third summer is like this, my house will be surrounded by dead trees.

Here's last year's predictions. I don't know about anyone else, but not seeing my lawn from December 26 to the middle of March = Battle Zone for me.

400x266_08031545_winter.jpg

This year also looks like a win for everybody but Connecticut, and who the heck cares about CT?

590x392_08091543_snowforecast2012.png

I for one, would like to storm chase into NY or VT some more this season.

Well, it wasn't that cold here last year. And even though we had a lot of snow arriving early and staying late, it was heavier than usual because it was warmer than usual. It was an ODD year. Even this summer there hasn't been a night warmer than the low 60's. It's like we're still waiting for summer. Tonight will be in the 40's.

• Like 1

I for one would like to storm chase at all... I always say Im going to and then never get the chance... However, if my ski patrol plans work out, maybe it won't be that tough this year :)

Yeah, me to, then I come on pasr and see the "storm report" or "roll call" thread and get psyched up for the pow day at Blue :drool.

I know the record for PA was 186 in 1978 somewhere out by the Altoona. There is some debate because Blue Knob apparently got 220" but it was in 1890 so for some reason they don't count it.

The PA weather book is old so it doesn't have the last couple years but it says 95/96 was the most for Scranton with 99" and Allentown with 72". It has snowed in every month in PA mostly in the Allegheny plateau and northern mountains where it can hit 20 in July and August occasionally. The earliest snowfall was in late August somewhere near wilksbarre with some big snows in late September early October.

The general problem with PA is when the pattern is cold there is no moisture and when the pattern is wet the temps suck. Additionally when we do get snow it tends not to stick around very long.

I for one would like to storm chase at all... I always say Im going to and then never get the chance... However, if my ski patrol plans work out, maybe it won't be that tough this year :)

Storm chasing is the most fun because its all random and crazy but you know 9 times out of 10 the riding next day will make up for it. Also I like the super sketchy driving....you know its bad when you stop seeing truckers on the major highways.

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/8063/noaa20112012forecast.jpg

that's the forecast i saw. looking good for the california folks!

That's the funniest thing I've seen in a long time. Wish it would be true (about the snow, not about the flat mountains), after the last 2 winters it would be hard to see another epic one.

Accuweather sucks balls

according to the long range last year, we (California) would get average temps and average to below average precip, not expecting a big snow year.

We got >800"

The map shown above from suck-u-weather has us on the edge of the "worst cold and snow" band, but it was actually quite a warm winter and has been a very cool wet spring/ summer (this is all relative).

let's just see what it brings: I'm forecasting some snow in the sierras and some great snowboarding from December to May.

Wish I saw this a month ago...:rock

US Long Range Winter Weather Forecast 2011-2012

The coldest winter in 30 years was recorded across many parts of the US during the 2010-2011 winter. Eastern parts of the US plunged to a record -50F with the Northeast of the US also seeing records broken. Temperatures was also largely below normal averages for New York, Chicago, New Orleans, and Minneapolis. Snowstorms shattered New York City in December 2010 and January 2011 to become the snowiest January ever recorded.

So let's turn to the US winter of 2011/2012.

La Ni