Jack Frost - 12/29

JFskiDan

Nice brisk morning, it was 16 degrees when i left the house. Pulled in around 8:15, just a little more crowded today than days past. Lots of snowmaking last night, mostly freshening things up on the trails that took a beating with the rain,and snowmaking has begun on east mountain. Challenge glade was really nice, much more skiable than yesterday, but still not top to bottom. a few places, although decent coverage, its still easy to find some rocks to ski over. Challange was really nice, fresh snow top to bottom. Thunderbolt was interesting as only about half of it had new snow on it. The transition from new stuff to yesterdays groomed stuff was kind of interesting. Thunderbolt also had a bunch of whales on it from overnight that they did not groom out, making this the entertainment area for the lift that passes over it. lots of people jumping over the whales, and landing in the next one. made a few runs by myself before meeting up with my neighbors,and skiing with them. We ate lunch at about noon, which is the perfect time if you want to spend most of your time looking for a table. made a few handful of runs after lunch, and left around 2:15. crowds were light until about 11am, then pretty heavy from then on, but not quite as bad as i have seen them in years past for this week.

pictures, pictures.........

Whales on Thunderbolt

jf12-29a.jpg

Challenge Glade....pretty nice.

jf12-29.jpg

East Mountain. I had high hopes that this was going to look a little better, but it didnt. not quite sure why snowmaking was shut down around 11 am while the temp was 25 degrees. Going through the Blue Mountain post i saw snowmaking was still going at 3 pm. Maybe fluffy will explain it for me.

jf12-29d.jpg

jf12-29c.jpg

Lehigh....no snowmaking yet, no great loss.

jf12-29b.jpg

from surfing the internet ive came to the conclusion that running those what they call air water guns are very expensive and not efficent enough to run at 25. which was prolly a good idea since its getting supper cold in a couple days. i bet they have the east mountian open for wmmr day which is my favorite time to get up to frost.

It will be good to get back into the daily groove at JF.

I had a knee injury keep me off the snow most of last winter.

I kept busy learning to play flute,Celtic fiddle, cello, mandolin and jazz sax.

I took music lessons in Bethlehem for 2 years.

I sort of inherited an OPEN MIC night. It started off as just folk musicians gathering weekly

and then I donated a PA system and an electric guitar amp and a bass amp and an eletric guitar and an electric bass

and then anyone could show up an play rock N roll without having to haul their gear out in the snow.

Im the fat furry fiddler in the picture:

http://www.strangebrewopenmic.com

You make your fun where you can. Thats my philosophy.

It will be good to get back into the daily groove at JF.

I had a knee injury keep me off the snow most of last winter.

I kept busy learning to play flute,Celtic fiddle, cello, mandolin and jazz sax.

I took music lessons in Bethlehem for 2 years.

I sort of inherited an OPEN MIC night. It started off as just folk musicians gathering weekly

and then I donated a PA system and an electric guitar amp and a bass amp and an eletric guitar and an electric bass

and then anyone could show up an play rock N roll without having to haul their gear out in the snow.

Im the fat furry fiddler in the picture:

http://www.strangebrewopenmic.com

You make your fun where you can. Thats my philosophy.

I really need to get back into playing my guitars more.......