Jay Peak Ownership Buys Burke Mountain

http://m.wcax.com/default.aspx?pid=2705&wnfeedurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.wcax.com%2fstory%2f18614019%2fburke-mountain-sold%3fclienttype%3drssstory

In keeping with the trend of keeping up on New England ski area news, I bring you this big news. I don't know exactly the repercussions from such a buy, but after adding a second high speed quad and recently being approved for more real estate development, it looked ripe for the taking. Over the years Jay has become much more developed, and ownership should be excellent at doing the same here. They haven't stated their future plans, but I would assume it will continue to be a mellower mountain than Jay. Let's hope they can use some of that EB-5 money from Jay to ramp up improvements quickly. A Jay/Burke season pass would be a sweet deal too. I wa hoping to get to Burke this past season, but with the down snow year, it wasn't worth it. I'm hoping to get there this year. It's pretty high on my list right right behind Saddleback...

Don't stratton Burke! Jay used to be cool now its just another fucking resort.

Burke was the shit, small with some hidden gnar around, this shit ain't going to make that hill any better.

That's one of the biggest reasons I want to hit it this upcoming year. I think that added snowmaking will be a benefit along with the new HSQ, but the sellout vibe I am not a fan of, especially when they have already announced that plans for a hotel are in the works...

The hell with burke, I've also been wanting to hit saddleback for the last year or two. Now they got that woods expansion going on and it even looks more enticing. It's been too long since I've been skiing in maine.

My icon is actually me skiing at sugarloaf on easter, had a full bunny suit on and got a free ticket a few years in a row when I used to visit a buddy in college up in fort kent.

[media=]

[/media]

Don't stratton Burke! Jay used to be cool now its just another fucking resort.

Burke was the shit, small with some hidden gnar around, this shit ain't going to make that hill any better.

They had to go there with Starscream's death at 2.09. They just HAD to freaking go there!!

Not a fan, or no desire to go?

Not really a desire to go, I mean I would, but it's just not really on my list right now. If I'm going to a new place in VT this year it will be magic. I just mean I'm more itching to get back up to Maine to explore the new stuff at the loaf and saddleback.

Not really a desire to go, I mean I would, but it's just not really on my list right now. If I'm going to a new place in VT this year it will be magic. I just mean I'm more itching to get back up to Maine to explore the new stuff at the loaf and saddleback.

I'm a huge fan of going to mountains with "soul," and I know from experience that Magic has it... Although Magic is epic on a powder day, I think that using the partnership funds towards snowmaking will make the mountain much more competitive in times when there is very little powder like this past year... That being said, Burke and Saddleback also seem to have "soul" and are more in the snowbelt... I would take a powder day at either but haven't been to either... I tried to go on our big powder day last season on March 1, but they shut the lifts down for good at 9 Am and closed the mountain... Got back to SR by 11 and still had an awesome day, but couldnt notch SB off the lift... If its possible, I hope to take them both off the list this season...

I'm a huge fan of going to mountains with "soul," and I know from experience that Magic has it... Although Magic is epic on a powder day, I think that using the partnership funds towards snowmaking will make the mountain much more competitive in times when there is very little powder like this past year... That being said, Burke and Saddleback also seem to have "soul" and are more in the snowbelt... I would take a powder day at either but haven't been to either... I tried to go on our big powder day last season on March 1, but they shut the lifts down for good at 9 Am and closed the mountain... Got back to SR by 11 and still had an awesome day, but couldnt notch SB off the lift... If its possible, I hope to take them both off the list this season...

Just curious. What does mountains with soul actually mean? Old lifts, trees, the vibe?

Just curious. What does mountains with soul actually mean? Old lifts, trees, the vibe?

It's just a laid back atmosphere that is more about skiing than it is making massive amounts of money... It's a combination of attitude, terrain, and not being sold out... A place where you leave and you feel like it was more than just a day at the mountain... It's a proverbial "it" You can't explain what "it" is, but you know when you've found it...

I feel like people who long for these types of places typically are East Coast skiers. Obviously I'm one but I could be wrong though. I guess I could care less about condos, who's sitting on the lift in front of me, a single chair or the resort's bottom line (actually I want all of them to make money). I just want a big, bad ass, mountain. Give me Squaw Valley or Snowbird over Alta or Powder Mt (although I love Alta and Powder.) WF over Magic etc. But that's just me. Just trying to figure out the allure of the Mom and Pop places over some of the bigger "mega" resorts.

Anyway threadjack finished. Back to Jay Peak and their purchase of Burke.

Edit - I will concede that Killington is not high on my list.

Edited by Ridge Racer

I feel like people who long for these types of places typically are East Coast skiers. Obviously I'm one but I could be wrong though. I guess I could care less about condos, who's sitting on the lift in front of me, a single chair or the resort's bottom line (actually I want all of them to make money). I just want a big, bad ass, mountain. Give me Squaw Valley or Snowbird over Alta or Powder Mt (although I love Alta and Powder.) WF over Magic etc. But that's just me. Just trying to figure out the allure of the Mom and Pop places over some of the bigger "mega" resorts.

Anyway threadjack finished. Back to Jay Peak and their purchase of Burke.

Edit - I will concede that Killington is not high on my list.

Im stuck in between... I don't need to go to a mountain with soul all the time... I quite enjoy larger sold out mountains, I just seem to get tired of the terrain quicker and my trips back to them are less frequent... However, I am basing that off of typical east coast conditions... I obviously would take multiple powder days at Killington over groomers at Magic... I would ideally like to go to a place with plenty of powder and a little bit of "soul"... That's possible to do at a larger mountain, Sugarbush being the perfect example... Lincoln Peak has a more commercial vibe while Mt. Ellen has more old school narrow and windy trails and is a little less manicured, but they still have high speed lifts to the top... I'm never going to pass up a big mountain, but I like something a little more mellow and easy going where nobody gives a fuck sometimes...

As for the thread jack, it's June, I wouldn't worry about it too much... I'll talk about anything ski related...

Magic is tits when there's lots of snow.

I was there in 09 during a massive dump, but it was heavy wet cement and was coming down so fast that it would accumulate on your goggles and reduce visibility... It was also super slow and sticky... Took forever for just one run... But I could see the potential...