Modern Ski Racing

TommyKirchhoff

Its funny, whenever something new comes around, until people understand it this kind of stuff goes on.

30876[/snapback]

New ideas, products, services etc come out all the time. LOTS of them aren't as good as the creators make them out to be. I'm not going to try to pretend like I know what I'm talking about when it comes to skiing, but as a general rule, the burden of proof is on you to show quality of product. If someone is going to spend money, time, and habit to a ski technique they want to be sure of the product they are purchasing. The people who jump on everything new are the people who get burned. YOU have to build a reputation, YOU have to show that your technique can out perform existing techinques, YOU have dispell arguments that the technique will work on steep pitches. If YOU can't perform on a FIS level with your technique you need someone else who can, to start to convince the general public. Even then you should have SEVERAL FIS hot shots to really prove your point.

In my opinion you need a solid 15 days to START to get comfortable with new techniques on a snowboard. I assume it would be similar with your waist steering and skiing. To me 15 days is HUGE in terms of lost riding time for me anyways. Thats almost a 1/4 of the days I rode this past season. Most on the east ski far less. All this to say, I would be pretty pissed if I signed up for a program that did little or nothing for me, and I needed to spend the remainder of the season, or following season UN-learning what was taught.

Again, I could care less whether your technique is the wave of the future or a total sham. Just simply saying "trust me", isn't enough. I apologize if you have already addressed all these points, I am not as "read up" on the topic as I probobly should be.

Well, besides you  :P

Sib is the one always saying someone with low USSA/FIS points would never be caught dead doing NASTAR  :)

30907[/snapback]

Her daughter streamlined into USSA, and is looking only forward, which is fine, because she's terrific. Her friends are USSA and fis racers. Those of us who started in NASTAR make NASTAR friends and are likely to enjoy the social aspect of it even if some also now do USSA and fis.

Also, NASTAR is a good way to get timed runs to test new strategies, techniques or compare equipment. Siblet probably gets timed practice runs. Most of us mere mortals in the banana belt can't get the times without NASTAR.

Those of us who started in NASTAR make NASTAR friends and are likely to enjoy the social aspect of it even if some also now do USSA and fis. 

Also, NASTAR is a good way to get timed runs to test new strategies, techniques or compare equipment.  Most of us mere mortals in the banana belt can't get the times without NASTAR.

30911[/snapback]

Exactly, I believe in giving credit where credit is due. We would not know what we know today without Nastar. I feel strongly that I have a much wider view/vision of racing that I would have not gotten if he was involved in a singular program.

When skidude starts racing FIS, let me know if he still does NASTAR.  Which reminds me -- when are you putting skidude in a ski academy?

30952[/snapback]

My bet is that he still does NASTAR. He can do timed evening race practices with NASTAR, with a one hour commute, and see his longstanding friends at the same time. The 'dude has been the NASTAR pacesetter on occasion. When he isn't, he aims to beat the pacesetter or set the fastest pace of the night. There are enough fast racers that it keeps him challenged.

But, I like the sound of the 'dude at FIS races... ;)

• 10 years later...