2012/2013 Season Improvements.

Kyle

I'm starting this somewhat early( or late) but what would you guys like to see Bear improve on?

Personally, i dont have much to complain about last year, i feel that bear did the best they could providing the weather conditons.

It would be nice to see something more done to deter people who shouldnt be in the park, from the park.

I like blue's idea of the season passholder line, i think this would come in handy on the holiday weekends, its not needed too much, if at all, during the week.

thats all i can really think of right now.

any other ideas .

South of rt 80 really got trashed by mother nature last year, but if Bear is smart they will research what they could have done differently if faced with another miserable winter. You can debate me all you want, but trying to open up a ski area 100% on opening day is incredibly foolish and it cost them HUGE last year. Focus snowmaking efforts on the park runs and a few cruisers (wait, they're all crusiers) and get the place open. Otherwise, cant speak much for last year, i kept my arse north of Pa. mostly.

I'm starting this somewhat early( or late) but what would you guys like to see Bear improve on?

Personally, i dont have much to complain about last year, i feel that bear did the best they could providing the weather conditons.

It would be nice to see something more done to deter people who shouldnt be in the park, from the park.

I like blue's idea of the season passholder line, i think this would come in handy on the holiday weekends, its not needed too much, if at all, during the week.

thats all i can really think of right now.

any other ideas .

vertical
  • Like 1

lol on that roof idea...it's money!

the only thing that i can think of as a realistic improvement is the snowmaking strategy. it's my impression that bc's snow base really suffered b/c of the late start on the serious snowmaking. bc really needs to hit that snowmaking early to get that insulating base layer down.

Doug doesn't view any mountain as legit if it doesn't have a HS lift... I don't see it the same way, but that's his call... He also wouldn't go to Bear Creek even if it had a HS lift... It doesn't have long enough cruisers for him, or steeps so he can get mad steezy fast on the sweet n low, nah mean? Simply put, Doug just likes HS lifts and will rag on newhere without them... I'm surprised he doesn't get upset that Blue hasn't replaced the Vista double with a HS lift...

And lastly, while we would all like to see some major improvements, management will undoubtably decide to put in some new trees, new snowguns, make previously free parking paid, and maybe get some new boards for the rental fleet...

Edited by Ride Delaware ?

South of rt 80 really got trashed by mother nature last year, but if Bear is smart they will research what they could have done differently if faced with another miserable winter. You can debate me all you want, but trying to open up a ski area 100% on opening day is incredibly foolish and it cost them HUGE last year. Focus snowmaking efforts on the park runs and a few cruisers (wait, they're all crusiers) and get the place open. Otherwise, cant speak much for last year, i kept my arse north of Pa. mostly.

Nah, I actually agree with ya on this one. Blowing early is always gonna risk the catastrophic melt downs we get her in southern PA, but focusing on a few trails rather than all is a good idea.

Hey hey now, we've got sasquach, that ain't a cruiser, it's only a hundred yards long but it sure is steep haha.

I like the way BC has been doing things, it's much better than doe ever was that's for sure.

One thing I REALLY REALLY miss though is the top snack shack. The vibe and atmosphere it brought when doe ran it was incredible. I've seen the building recently while hiking and it looks like it needs tons of work or maybe to be knocked over and started new even. I'd love to see that happen though. While BC is dropping buckets of money on things like a tennis court, it seems like they could afford to redo the classic top food shack. It would make the mountain much much cooler in my opinion. Guess that just speaks to where the majority of their money is coming from these days. It would give it much more of a home mountain vibe though.

vertical

I heard they're gonna put a drop in ramp on one of the cell towers just so they can compete with blue's vert.

Nah, I actually agree with ya on this one. Blowing early is always gonna risk the catastrophic melt downs we get her in southern PA, but focusing on a few trails rather than all is a good idea.

Hey hey now, we've got sasquach, that ain't a cruiser, it's only a hundred yards long but it sure is steep haha.

I like the way BC has been doing things, it's much better than doe ever was that's for sure.

One thing I REALLY REALLY miss though is the top snack shack. The vibe and atmosphere it brought when doe ran it was incredible. I've seen the building recently while hiking and it looks like it needs tons of work or maybe to be knocked over and started new even. I'd love to see that happen though. While BC is dropping buckets of money on things like a tennis court, it seems like they could afford to redo the classic top food shack. It would make the mountain much much cooler in my opinion. Guess that just speaks to where the majority of their money is coming from these days. It would give it much more of a home mountain vibe though.

10-4 on that snack shack. You may be too young to remember before that snack shack was built, they had a reall small one just to the right of the old B lift as it crested the hill 2/3's from the top. they used to cook on grills outside and the smell of greasy burgers would waft over the lifts and get you damn hungry. They also had a little campfire going on most cold days. Now that was a snack shack. FWIW, i think that upper shack was scheduled for demo a few years back, not sure why it's still there. It was supposedly pretty rough. and also FWIW, i would never compare Doe to BC as we're talking black and white here. Doe was like a small Elk... leave it rustic, vintage and personal where BC put in place a corporate attitude with out west feel. But the management of both Doe and BC stinks so they at least have that in common!

I think everywhere from the Catskills southward got trashed last year... Only Hunter was able to get all their terrain open. Platty and Belleayre rely significantly more on natural snow and didn't get too much over opening 50% of their terrain at once. Even Elk struggled to get to their 100 day mark... Usually they hit 110 and then close in late March/Early April without any snirt and full coverage. From what I've heard, BC probably could have had a better product on several trails and it would have held up better, but considering their location, they did alright...

Yea if I had to guess I probably started skiing doe in about 93 or 94, I turned 31 this year. I think the structure you speak of still stands there though, and the campfire ring is still there too. We have often thought about hiking up there and starting one on really cold nights.

That sounds exactly like what I'm talking about though, I remember smelling the woodfire outside the snack shack and the feeling of the warmth and hot chocolate smell hitting ya as soon as ya opened the door. It's a vibe that adds a value that is much more than any amount of revenue could ever generate. I mean don't get me wrong though, classy bars and hot tubs make me smile too. Overall I'm happy it is now BC and no longer doe mountain, I'd just like to see em push for a little more local moutain vibe. The can classic this year is an awesome example of a step in the right direction though.

but they didn't do that this year. they waited way too long to start blowing, even on "a few trails".

word, that's a great little trail. just long enough to connect a few turns on a decent pitch.

Yea if I had to guess I probably started skiing doe in about 93 or 94, I turned 31 this year. I think the structure you speak of still stands there though, and the campfire ring is still there too. We have often thought about hiking up there and starting one on really cold nights.

That sounds exactly like what I'm talking about though, I remember smelling the woodfire outside the snack shack and the feeling of the warmth and hot chocolate smell hitting ya as soon as ya opened the door. It's a vibe that adds a value that is much more than any amount of revenue could ever generate. I mean don't get me wrong though, classy bars and hot tubs make me smile too. Overall I'm happy it is now BC and no longer doe mountain, I'd just like to see em push for a little more local moutain vibe. The can classic this year is an awesome example of a step in the right direction though.

Exactly. BC blew Pa sking out of the pond with the Aspen vibe, thats all good. But, i trace of old school mixed in works too. IMHO, BC wanted to ditch all of that forgetting there are a lot of people who appreciate the rustic feel. I friggin despise Elk for picnic table seating, no wi-fi, chity parking and overly crowded lodge, BUT the skiing kicks ass. BC is the exact opposite and has the customer base to prove it works. But what would the cost be to re-light the old old snack shack to the right of the quad, in view of hungry skiers?? Management aint buying it, too redneck.

• Like 1

I think the problem is that most mountains aren't run by the majority of middle class skiers, they are run by the upper class that tend to add improvements that they would like to see (spa, high end dining, nice hotel, waterpark), not stuff that the skiers skier would like to see... Thats why rven if they do rebuild or reopen that snack shack, it will be bigger and classier with higher priced items than ever before... Once again, each to his own...

You can't have everything you want the way you want it. Like Winter stated about Elk, he loves the skiing, not the amenities... However, If you improve the Amenities, then you will begin to attract different skiers who want different things, who want the high speed glamour lift, and once you get that, your going to change the skiing... The conditions won't be as good, won't last as long, and crowds will increase... No more 5 minute lift lines on peak weekend Saturdays...

The simple truth of the matter, is that most mountains are managed entirely different... Sure, most of the terrain can't be replicated due to geography and geology, but half of what makes the mountain what it is, is the vibe, which is perpetuated by management by the improvements they make, the prices they set, and the marketing they enact... Unfortunately, your not going to make your mountain change the way you want... They may tweak small things, but no big changes... I understand that the mountain is out your back door and while another mountain may be more of your style, it's too difficult to get there... Just be happy you have something... This is America, so nobody is ever happy with what they have, something always needs to be different... The best you can do is fill out a suggestion card and hope they don't throw them all away...

• Like 1

i actually like the classier vibe at bc for a couple reasons. first, it gives bc an edge to compete for business. obviously bc doesn't have a tremendous amount of terrain so they need to stand out in other areas. second, while i do go to a mtn primarily for the terrain, i do like a more up to date facility...for me it helps to complete a more satisfactory experience. (i love elk's terrain but i really don't like their base lodge area.)

I don't think anyone wanted to hear about your warm nuts... Truth be told, the people taking the fancy vacations and going to the top notch resorts are upper class... I do agree that skiers tend to trend toward the upper echelon of society based on the costs of the sport, but I know plenty of people who aren't even close to upper middle class that have a SP to lower costs, or stalk the deals so they can afford to ski... Once again, you've made a generic broad sweeping statement that probably only tells one point of view...